1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH4 vs mobile in 4K image shoot out

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by battleaxe, Jul 29, 2015.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

It looks like they were comparing the GH4 with the 14-140mm lens to the Samsung S6, Motorola Nexus 6 and Sony Z3(non-Verizon variant).
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Smar...f-video-recording-and-heres-the-proof_id71856

Every year I see similar posts and every year it's the same thing for most people phones are good enough, and night time is where they fail and where the key advantage of a mirrorless/DSLR is. Would have love to see how the G4, Z4, and 6+ compare, but maybe next round.

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Not trying to bash the 14-140, but using a lens that would be better able to highlight the benefits of a larger sensor would be more interesting. Try the GH4 and PL 15.

3. battleaxe

I was thinking the same thing. 14mm or 15mm would be closer to the focal lengths of the phones being compared.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Also closer to the aperture. Same aperture and same focal length means you are showing what that bigger sensor really gives.

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Not only that, my iPhone is a fixed f2.2 where the 14-140 is f3.5 at 14mm, so the phones actually have a faster lens (and google tells me the phones in the test are f1.9-f2.0). I think a lot of pure tech guys don't realize that glass is as important (or more important) than sensor.

edit: tkbslc beat me to it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It's funny, I feel like the 14-140mm really does highlight the value of an interchangeable lens camera. Being able to zoom out to 280mm is obviously something that no smartphone can do.

Though realistically, they could have just as easily just used a G7 & 14-42mm kit lens which costs the same as most of those phones. It's not like they were grading their footage or doing any PP with it at all.

I did find that this highlighted the advantage of OIS over electronic image stabilization. In the fluidity test, the panning effect didn't look great, but the smartphones all looked like warp-y, distorting jello. It was super distracting and unpleasant.

7. battleaxe

I think the Galaxy Camera 2 can zoom out that far, but that using the same sensor size as the Sony Z1/2/3/4 line of cameras and IQ is okay.

8. tkbslc

Some of these comparisons are kind of like racing a Ferrari against Civics, but you have to obey all traffic laws. Kind of pointless.

All I have to do is look at stuff like this from the GH4:

9. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
  10. tkbslc

11. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Hey no worries. I would have never seen this gorgeous footage if you never posted that link!

12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
  13. tkbslc

14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm not implying that an iPhone matches the quality or flexibility of m43 (I actually posted earlier that I though the comparison the OP linked wasn't well designed), and this guy also used add on anamorphic lenses, a steadicam, and did post on a computer. But I do think its cool. I'm clear on the benefits of m43 vs my iPhone, but I still shoot a lot on my phone and the $40-$50 I've spent on photography apps is probably the best photography bang for the buck I've spent. But I'm not giving up my m43 gear anytime soon!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, I found it a bit silly that they spent more money on the iPhone accessories than they would have on a GH2 or something similar.

They used an iPhone so that they could say they shot their film on a iPhone to get buzz. It was an affectation... And it worked, I guess. They definitely did get tech site buzz. Not sure if it was a remarkable film in any other way.

16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I haven't seen it either. Is this guy an established film maker was was using his iPhone as an affectation? I thought it was an example of the democratization of film making, which seemed pretty awesome.

17. battleaxe

Actually it is, as the film stars two trans women who are play trans women roles.

18. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    The E-PL2 with its kit lens was once put up against the Nokia 808 with a F2.4 Zeiss prime lens with exotic glass elements, and the Oly images had a lot of CA in them because of the lens, made worse by the oversharpening the Oly did on default settings.

The Nokia won.

A change of lens would have seen things differently.