1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH4 V-Log still for free with FW 2.4 ???

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lufthummel, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Lufthummel

Lufthummel Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    While enhancing my small Android App to support focus bracketing I discovered that the GH4 V-Log feature possibly was already available in FW 2.2. If you request all capabilities from the GH4 Web service you will see this in FW 2.2 and 2.3:

<item id="menu_item_id_ph_sty_vlog_gamma" title_id="title_ph_sty_vlog_gamma"

cmd_mode="setsetting" cmd_type="colormode" cmd_value="vlog_gamma"

cmd_value2="__value__" />

The FW 2.3 Bug seems to be related to the following entry in the list of available menu entries (should be no…):

<item id="menu_item_id_ph_sty_vlog_gamma" enable="yes"option="detail"/>

If the Panasonic Software engineers are still sleeping it may be possible to activate the V-Log feature also on a GH4 with FW 2.2 or 2.4 if you issue the following command in a web browser while the GH4 is connected to the image app (just switch from running & connected image app to your browser and issue the command after replacing the cam_ip value):

http://{cam_ip}/cam.cgi?mode=setsetting&type=colormode&value=vlog_gamma

The cam_ip is normally 192.168.54.1 when the camera is directly connected to the Smartphone/ Tablet. Or simply find out in the Menu -> -> Setup -> Wifi -> Wifi-Setup -> Network Adress

So a for example a simple paste of „192.168.54.1/cam.cgi?mode=setsetting&type=colormode&value=vlog_gamma“ in your browser adress field my bring you V-Log back on the GH4 with FW 2.4 for free – let’s look if I’m right.

P.S: Be aware that is not possible to activate V-Log when the camera is in 4K mode.

2. Lufthummel

Lufthummel Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Update: first test with FW2.4 are negative ..

3. mailinator

mailinator New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2015
  4. mailinator

mailinator New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2015
    OK, I found out that the app is called GSimpleRelease from here https://www.mu-43.com/threads/80766/ and I found the beta code on google plus, any chance you can share the code of the latest version? It looks like the repository was on github but it's not anymore.

5. Lufthummel

Lufthummel Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Hi, I'll not make the source public available. Main reason behind is that I distribute it via the Playstore as most of the users won't install any development versions. I really want to avoid that any versions floating around with malware in it (as already happened but I was able to stop it). In Github you will find a project called Iunxtio, it is a Java desktop version I used to learn more about the way it should work. It is based on the work mentioned in the personal view thread. Use this one as a starting project. If you have any questions how the communication with the camera works just send me a note.

It is a good idea to work with Wireshark to find out what messages are exchanged between Panasonic Image App and the camera...