1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH4 Time Lapse delayed Start Time: FAIL

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by stevezzzz, Jun 24, 2014.

1. stevezzzz

stevezzzz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    Colorado, USA
    Sorry for the double posting: I originally launched this in the wrong section. My searches haven't turned up any information on the problem I'm having, so here goes...

So far I have been unsuccessful at getting the Time Lapse function of the GH4 to work when setting a delayed start time. I've had no problems producing time lapse sequences with a Start Time of "Now", but if I program in a delay the camera behaves like it's going to execute the sequence but in fact, it never exposes even a single frame.

Here's an example from today: Clock (current time) was set to 3:40pm, 24 June 2014; Start Time set to 3:44pm; Shooting Interval 0m03s; Image Count 1600. When I exited the menu and pressed the shutter, the display showed the Lumix splash screen and went dark. Later, after the Start Time passed (with no indication that the camera started capturing frames), I pressed the shutter halfway to bring the display back to life and pressed Fn1 to interrupt the time lapse sequence, and selected End (and verified that I did indeed want to end the sequence), the camera returned to shooting mode and I confirmed that no frames had been captured.

From this I conclude that the camera thinks it's in Time Lapse mode, but never starts capturing images. Here's the odd thing: if I set up a Now start time and look at the End time the camera displays, it correctly shows that it'll end an hour from the current clock time. If I set up a delayed start time, the displayed End time looks correct (an hour after the programmed Start Time), but only until after the programmed start time has passed, when the End time display advances by 24 hours to show an End time 24 hours later than it should. But the manual clearly states that the start time can only be delayed by a maximum of 23h59m. One thing I have yet to try is to leave the camera sitting in time lapse mode for 24 hours after the programmed Start Time, just to see if it's an off-by-1 programming error.

Is anybody else having this issue? Has anyone solved it after experiencing the problem? Has anybody actually succeeded in shooting a delayed start time lapse on the first try? I've got body firmware Ver 1.0; is there a newer version available for download?

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Not sure what you are doing wrong, but I've used this feature several times and it works fine.

3. stevezzzz

stevezzzz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    Colorado, USA
    Wasabi Bob, what is the exact sequence of steps you take to initiate the time lapse after setting the Start Time, Interval and Number of pictures? I can't see what I'm doing wrong and, even more than that, I can't see where there are any other choices I can make between creating the settings and launching the time lapse sequence by pressing the shutter button.

4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Sure but the End Time is not limited to 23h59m from now. e.g. a 2000 image sequence at 50 minute intervals will end in 69 days from now.

I know I haven't helped your general problem, but this particular point you raised is not one to be concerned about.

5. stevezzzz

stevezzzz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    Colorado, USA
    Sorry, I wasn't clear: my point was not that the end time was more than 24 hours away, but that it was 24 hours farther away than it should have been: i.e., when the time lapse sequence failed to initiate at the programmed start time, the start time (and end time) jumped 24 hours farther into the future with no action on my part.

6. Wasabi Bob

Once you enter the details the camera basically goes into sleep mode. If you program the start time 24 hours in advance, the battery will be dead, or very near to, by time it starts. I just programmed in a sequence to shoot 1 photo every 20 seconds, for 1000 images, to start in 15 minutes. 15 minutes later it started.

7. stevezzzz

stevezzzz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    Colorado, USA
    I'm happy that it works for you, but it's still not working for me and I'm so frustrated I could spit. After programming the start time (you're programming a Start Time, not a Start Delay, correct?), interval and image count, what else did you do before the camera went into sleep mode? All I do is Set the programming; then half-press the shutter and frame the shot; and finally I fully depress the shutter, at which point the camera goes immediately to sleep...and never wakes up at the appointed Start Time.

8. swifstudios

swifstudios New to Mu-43

Oct 19, 2014
    I've been having the same issue with my GH4. Timelapse function works fine, but when I try to schedule a time-lapse start time, push the shutter button and get the Lumix logo, the time-lapse never starts? I've actually gotten it to work only once and not sure what I did differently. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

9. Wasabi Bob

Please try this simple test

For those of you who are having a problem, please try these steps and report your results.
    Camera in “P” mode. Make sure your date and time is set accurately. For 12 hr format, please note correct AM / PM setting.
    PLACE YOUR GH4 INTO THE TIME LAPSE MODE!

1. Press MENU, select TIME LAPSE

2. Enter the start time, Shooting Interval, and Image Count

3. For my test I entered 15 sec interval and image count of 20.

5. Go back to menu, press the shutter button ALL THE WAY – not a half press as you would to focus.

6. Lumix screen comes on and camera goes to sleep. When the start time is reached the camera wakes up and starts shooting. I’ve done this several times and it works fine.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wasabi Bob

New discovery ...
    Was at Photo Plus show this week. Turn off DST feature as it causes a 1 hr delay in scheduled time lapse. Panasonic person acknowledged this newly confirmed bug. It will be corrected in the next update.

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg