1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GH4 & Stills: Does aspect ratio matter?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by acuriousman, Mar 12, 2015.

1. acuriousman

acuriousman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 20, 2013
    I've been hearing a lot of conflicting info about this.

Is there one aspect ratio for stills that will garner the best quality/dynamic range over all others? I've been hearing 4:3 is the best aspect ratio for stills because it "uses the entire GH4 sensor".

Is this true or will they all give you the exact same quality?

2. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    The native aspect ratio for stills is 4:3, so yes, shooting in that ratio will give you full access to the sensor. Shooting in say, 3:2, will just crop the top/bottom portions of the image, leaving you will less vertical pixels to work with.

The ability to change aspect ratios is really just a convenience and doesn't offer you any IQ benefit over shooting native 4:3 and cropping in post (besides seeing an adjusted ratio in Live View).

Video is a whole other matter all together though.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    They will all give you the exact same quality,
    and I'd be surprised if anyone had said otherwise!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.