GH4 slo-mo: Murano artist making a glass horse

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WilburNJ, Oct 21, 2015.

1. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Hi folks,

I took this video of an artist (or artisan?) in Murano making a glass horse. It was pretty cool to watch it live. I hope you enjoy it:

I don't do video too often, but I couldn't pass up this opportunity to put the GH4 thru its paces a bit. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Great video @WilburNJ@WilburNJ ! Did you shoot this at 96fps, or 60fps and slow it down in post?

I own two GH4's, and absolutely love them! The handling and feature sets are amazing, image quality is excellent IMO, and the video one is able to get out of the camera is unreal.

Here's a video a shot a few weeks ago at a local auto-x, and it was one of my first times really shooting video. I used a PL15mm, PL25mm, and P42.5. I recently picked up some Canon FD glass along with a focal reducer to give me some different FoV and faster speeds. I really enjoy doing video, and definitely find it adds something "more" than photography does (but it is more work IMO).

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    That's awesome.

4. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    It's pretty cool to watch it in slo-mo video, too! Excellent video.

Murano is wonderful, isn't it?

5. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    ijm, I used the native slo-mo function (96fps). I don't have the software or the skill to do any video postproduction work. :)

6. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    flamingfish, yes, Murano was great, and so was Venice generally. Our 5 nights in Venice was at the tail end of our Italy vacation with the extended family. Lots of great experiences, with ample opportunity to use my gear!! :)

7. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

8. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Wow, your video is fantastic. I need to find the time to learn how to do post production on videos. You've inspired me!

9. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Editing the video is easier than you would think. That was all done in iMovie on a MacBook Pro, but you could easily do the same thing in Premiere Elements.

I really do love the GH4 though, it's a fantastic camera for shooting stills or video. There are only two features that I wish the GH4 had, IBIS, and 4K 60p to slow it down in post. Other than that, it's a flawless camera!

10. christian Rawson

christian Rawson Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    christian rawson
    I'm a newish user to 4/3rds cameras.I own a G6 and recently watched a clip on you tube of a G6 video filmed in great slo mo,the poster stated that it was shot at 60p frame rate,when checking my video settings mine only goes to 50p or 50i am i missing something

11. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    60p is on cameras in North America and Japan, while 50p is PAL. 60p when slowed down to 24fps gives you a 40% slow-mo, while 50p slowed down to 24fps gives you 48% slow-mo.

You're not missing anything, just have a camera from a different region.

• Like Like x 1