1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH4 Sensor Clean Noise?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by taurus9, Jul 19, 2015.

1. taurus9

taurus9 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Hi,

I have a 4 week old GH4 purchased in Canada that has started to "squeak" occasionally when turning on the camera. I have isolated it to the sensor cleaning process - that is if I initiate the Sensor Cleaning in the menus I can reproduce this noise. However, I wanted to ask any of you GH4 owners out there what sound your camera makes when running the sensor cleaning process? Is it completely silent (which my GX7 is)? Or does it makes some high pitched noises?

Thanks.

2. taurus9

taurus9 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Can anyone with a GH4 run the sensor clean on your camera and report what kind of noises, if any, you can hear. I just want to know whether mine is normal, or something that should be looked at.

3. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    I just did this on my GH4 and it makes a very high pitch "chirp chirp" sound. Two chirps in a row. But they are barely audible and I had to have my ear quite close to the camera to hear it.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. taurus9

taurus9 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Thanks...I was wondering if it was the camera beginning to malfunction but seems normal. It was odd that I never noticed this noise the first few weeks of owning the camera, but perhaps I missed it.

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Just curious what your approximate age is? The sensor cleaning mechanism is basically a coil of wire fused to the IR filter. They feed a very high frequency signal to it and it vibrates in the same manner a speaker works. Younger people, usually less than 30, have better hearing when it comes to very high frequency sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm just about to turn 47 but have very good hearing, especially high frequencies. I also.... see... dead people. LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  7. taurus9

taurus9 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    BC, Canada
    I'm going to be 41 soon. Haven't had my hearing checked but my wife and I already yell at each other asking "what? ... what did you say?"

As I said, I can't hear anything from my GX7 during sensor clean so perhaps it runs at an inaudible (to me) higher frequency.