1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH4 review/preview

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jonlong, Mar 19, 2014.

1. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Beast.

3. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    looked pretty slick wish they would put a killer EVF on the thing :) will be curious to try the AF in lower light for fun

things keep moving forward for sure not a video guy but if I was I would be buying one :)

4. armoredpig

armoredpig Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2013
    I don't even shoot video and I want one badly...

EDIT: I wonder how DFD will work with moving subjects

5. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Should be a big step forward. Fingers crossed.

6. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Fast AF!

7. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    Looks like an all around winner although I wonder about the EVF since they didn't sound too impressed by it.

8. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Wow, this is the ultimate hybrid!!

Hope some of it's amazing features trickle-down to the G7!

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    video gets a lot of upgrade, 4k!

10. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I'm really curious about this DFD thing, since I actually posited a similar idea way back and it was shot down (although of course I had nowhere near the technical expertise to explain such a mechanism). It seems like such a peculiar technology but from everything I've read and heard so far, gosh darn it, it seems to work. Really sucky that it only works with Panasonic lenses, although it's understandable. Perhaps something that can be remedied with a firmwareupdate.

There are a lot of things I think Panasonic does better than Olympus; alas, if only we could get the perfect hybrid between the two :p. A GH4 with the E-M1's viewfinder (assuming the EVF on the GH4 isn't much better than that on the GH3) and 5-Axis would make me so very happy.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheRenaissanceMan

TheRenaissanceMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    And Olympus color rendition, but Panasonic's menus.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Panasonic colours are beautifully natural these days, check 'em out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    I preordered mine with the new SD card class :)

14. TheRenaissanceMan

Oct 11, 2013
    If you mean circa GH3, I have. They're actually pretty good, but it'd be cool to have Olympus color rendition as an option--"Punchy" picture style, perhaps.

15. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    So whats new about this camera for stills? I seriously want to be convinced to buy one.

16. TheRenaissanceMan

Oct 11, 2013
    This is about it, as far as I can tell:

-Better screen and EVF
    -New, better sensor
    -Faster DFD autofocus

17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Is it the same sensor as the GX7? I really do want a reason to buy one, but I bought a GX7 5 months ago.

18. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    A camera is not a sensor. Although far too many people forget that when making purchase decisions. The reality, that we are seeing discussed in other threads, is that sensors are so good that we are giving them too much importance in our decision making. That even applies to the topic of sensor size, so goodness knows it is very much true for sensors of the same size. Additionally, all ยต4/3 sensors are the same 16 MP, so the issue is almost minuscule, IMHO.

19. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    On top of what RenaissanceMan said, if you're asking relative to the GH3, you also get a 1/8000 max shutter speed, a 1/250 flash sync speed (up from 1/160), focus peaking, bump in high ISO performance (seen it quoted anywhere from a third of a stop to just over a stop; I would take the more conservative bet), increased resolution on both screens (EVF/rear panel), new mode dial ... those last two don't really have to do with stills in particular, but they're non-video upgrades so I lumped 'em in.

Also, and this is just my assumption, early GH3s had an issue where the rear screen screw would come loose (and as a result, the screen would start to wiggle a bit). It was never critical and you could crack it open and fix it yourself with almost no technical savvy, but it seems they tightened this up for the later bodies so I would assume it would be a total non-issue for the GH4. As an aside, this is one of the thing that excites me the most about the GH4 - being that it is essentially the exact same body, I expect not to have any issues with QC or light leaks or anything like that. Knock on wood, of course, but the GH3 body was as rugged as anything. Really glad they stuck with it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Nicely put, jurgen. :thiagree:

It is a nice upgrade for stills, yet I wait with bated breath for all the reviews to almost completely gloss over it.