1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH4 RAW - does any editor support it yet?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by LundyD, May 6, 2014.

1. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    I just got my GH4 a few days ago and am still learning my way around it. My biggest problem at the moment is how to process its RAW files, so for now, I'm shooting RAW + JPG large with minimum compression. I tried the SILKYPIX software that came with it. Yikes! That was an awful experience. Is there any photo editor that can process GH4 RAW files now? Or a way to convert them to DNG or TIFF? I normally use PSE 11, but PSE 12, nor any other Adobe product, supports GH4 RAW files yet. Corel PaintShop Pro X6 will open them, but the preview is flatter than a pancake, so it's really hard to tell what you're doing. FastPictureViewer Pro displays them nicely, but displays "(No Histogram Data)".

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I've seen other threads and read blogs where folks are still using their GH3s for work since there is no support yet. Check the other GH4 threads or send a message to Kirk Tuck on his blog. He seems like a good guy, I imagine he would respond

3. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Oh wow so Lightroom can't work with RAW files coming from a GH4 yet? Good thing I can't spring for one yet!!

4. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I hope Adobe waits a year or two to support, so I can sleep well at night, not thinking too much about having to get it ;)

5. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    I found mention a couple places of using a hex editor to replace the text GH4 with GH3 in the RAW file, so I gave that a shot. I used the free program Be.HexEditor. Be sure to save a copy of the RAW file BEFORE editing, because the Be.HexEditor program doesn't have a "Save As ..." option. Perhaps there is one that does? Anyway, this trick seems to work OK, but I've only tried it on one photo so far. This was shot in late afternoon at ISO 5,000.

13944955389_87d97121ac_b.
    Peony closeup
    by lundyd, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    A safer way to do this would be using ExifTool or ExifToolGUI - change the model from GH4 to GH3.

With ExifTool, the command would be: 'exiftool -model="GH3" *.ORF'

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Photo Ninja will open GH4 files but it doesnt have a color profile as of yet. If you have a color checker you could create one yourself and import it into Photo Ninja. Or you could photograph the colorchecker and send it to Photo Ninja support and they will create one for you.

8. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Just found the new version of Iridient Developer supports GH4 raws. I verified it opens them.

9. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    Thanks for the tip, dhazeghi. I'm not sure how much safer that would be, but it would certainly be easier to convert several files at once. But since I'm using a Panasonic camera, it would be 'exiftool -model="GH3" *.RW2' Your example using *.ORF is correct for your Olympus cameras, but not for my Panny.

10. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    Thanks, Ranger Rick. I wasn't familiar with Iridient Developer, so I looked it up. Now I know why I didn't know about it - it's Mac only. I'm sure some Mac users here will find that useful. For now, I'll use dhazeghi's tip to edit a copy of the RAW files with exiftool.

11. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Sorry, LundyD, I forgot some are still on those legacy OSs :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    It's been eons since I've attempted to use a non-native program in the Windows command prompt! I'm running Windows 8.1 and have copied the exiftool.exe file to the C:\WINDOWS directory. When I try to use it, I get the following error.
    'C:\WINDOWS\exiftool' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Argh! Now, what? The ExifTools website says In Windows 7, running exiftool requires administrator privileges. If necessary, this may be enabled by right clicking on exiftool, then selecting "Run this program as administrator" from the Compatibility settings. If I right-click the file and select Run as administrator, ExifTool opens in a cmd window and spews out hundreds of lines of help a page at a time, then exits and closes the cmd window after all the help is read. :-( I'm not making much progress here.

13. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    Did you do this at the website above?

"2. ExifToolGUI
    You can download GUI from here. GUI doesn't need to be "installed". Just unzip ExifToolGUI.zip file into any directory, create Desktop shortcut and GUI is ready to use.
    Note: It is not recommended to put ExifToolGUI.exe into directories owned by operating system (Windows and Program files), unless you know what you're doing.
    So, if you didn't already, just create new directory on C drive (i.e. C:\MyTools), put ExifToolGUI.exe there and create Desktop shortcut.

GUI doesn't write anything into registry file or elsewhere. After first usage, all settings are written into "ExifToolGUI.ini" file, which is automatically created in the same folder where "ExifToolGUI.exe" has been started from."

14. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    No, Phil, I hadn't installed ExifToolGUI. ExifTool would need to work before ExifToolGUI could work, since it's just a graphical interface to ExifTool, which I haven't been able to get to work. Just for grins & giggles, I did try ExifToolGUI, and it immediately responded "ERROR: ExifTool not found! Metadata operations disabled." That looks a lot like the error I was getting in the cmd shell, so I guessed maybe it's not found in the system path. I updated the path to be sure ExifTool was included, but no change. I'm stumped.

15. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    Well, it turns out that if I type the full path in the CMD prompt, it works, even though the path is already included in the environment variable, so including it when typing the command should not be necessary. Grrr! Well, at least I was able to update an entire directory of files by typing a single command. Curiously, FastPictureViewer still shows the edited files as being shot with a DMC-GH4, but PSE 11 shows them shot with a DMC-GH3.

16. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    Ack! I've discovered that ExifTool also changes the date taken field (DateTimeOriginal in ExifTool-speak) when I only tell it to change the camera model. Not nice! Now I suppose I need to find a parameter to prevent that. It appears that -P does the trick. It shouldn't be necessary to tell a program not to do something you didn't specifically tell it to do. It wouldn't bother me if it only changed the file modified date, but to also change the date taken doesn't make sense to me.

17. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    I just learned that Iridient Raw Developer (Mac only) supports the GH4 with a version released on May 7.

18. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    yep this works. It would be awesome if someone could create a script that would convert a folder with this GH4 RAWS to GH3 instead of doing one by one.

19. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    For whatever reason, I cannot get this command to work:

exiftool -model="GH3" *.RW2

It tells me:

Error: File not found - *RW2
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to error

[Process completed]

I've got a couple dozen .rw2 files. Any thoughts?

20. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    You need to tell the program where the files are located. And the model is actually DMC-GH3 instead of just GH3. Also, if you don't include the -P option, it will change the date taken date & time to the time you ran the command - probably not what you want. So the command ends up like so:
    exiftool -P -model="DMC-GH3" "path-to-your-photos\*.RW2" where "path-to-your-photos" might be "D:\My Pictures\GH4 tests\" or something similar.