1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH4 or OMD EM5 MKII for pure video?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Abula, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Abula

Abula Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Guatemala
    Im looking for m4/3 camera mainly for video, which would you recommend GH4 or OMD EM5 MKII?

2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    This isn't a serious question, right? It almost certainly can't be...

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Some people don't hang around the forums as much or read websites as much as others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I would assume that if someone would be willing to spend in the neighborhood of $1,000 on a camera body, that they would take some time to do some research of their own and not simply rely on the opinion of total strangers from the internet. Well, at least that's what I would do...

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Even if you go video specific sites, choosing between two cameras is going to come down to opinions. That said: +1 on GH4 for video.

7. Pstmstr

Pstmstr Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2016
    I was thinking the same thing last week and did a little research but still....the opinions of some people that frequent the forums and are really into it is very helpful. My use if 70 still, 30 video so I went Olympus and am very satisfied with the quality. If my use had been the other direction, I'd gone Panasonic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, the E-M5 II works very well with IBIS and video if you don't need 4K.

9. Abula

Abula Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Guatemala
    I'm sorry if some take my question as ridiculous, but tbh im not a camera expert, not i claim to be. I know panasonic has been good in video, but my question was more meant if olympus was catching up or with its stabilization was a very good option. Im about to buy a camera, and the Olympus pro lens seem very appealing (14-40 and 40-150 f2.8), but dont want to buy lens before and end up that i needed the stablized lens for the panasonic, so im just trying to decide on which camera for pure video, but from your guys comments seems the GH4 is still a much better option, so i might not go for the olympus pro lens but with the panasonics.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I would not say that it is clear cut that the GH4 is better. If you need 4K or know what you need in video, then the GH4 is a fine choice. If you want to use the camera on the go then the E-M5 II with IBIS is a great choice.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    4K = GH4

1080p = Either unless you need IBIS for hand held (some do, some don't). If you go GH4 you could choose OIS lenses.

Longer run times = GH4 which can run for 29:59 in Europe or unlimited (subject to battery and card size) in USA OR GH4R in Europe for longer run times. The Oly codecs top out at the 4GB file limit and don't start a new file to keep going (they just stop at 4GB limit).

V-Log is on GH4/GH4R only - so much depends on how much you intended doing colour grading

GH4 gives the (over priced) option of XLR inputs and SDI outputs via the extra mount (can't remember the model number) if you're so inclined

12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you have a slightly wider lens, even if it's not stabilized, 4K gives you a huge amount of room to do PP stabilization and you'll still likely end up with a lot more information than a 1080p file.

I would say the answer is pretty clear that if you intend to spend a bit of time working with your files, and / or have the ability to work from a tripod or even monopod, the GH4 is clearly superior. If you want something that looks pretty good out of the box, especially if you're primarily doing handheld run-and-gun work, the E-M5 II is an easier option to get acceptable results.

And of course, even if stabilization is taken into account, if you're starting from scratch the 12-35 and 35-100 don't cost any more than the 12-40 and 40-150, and it's not like they're poor performers.

13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, the EM-5 II will start a new file but it does stop at 29:59.

14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    OP - FYI, tkbslc just posted this link in another thread:

15. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    This. If you are going to take the time to grade and PP your footage, the gh4 is a no brainer. But you will need a stabilizing rig of some sort, so thats another investment.

I also prefer the Gh4 as a stills camera too. It's fast, great autofocus, and excellent ergonomics (I prefer the handling to even a d800). Every control is right where you need it or easy to access from the Q menu. IBIS is great in the Oly, but I usually try to keep my shutter speed at 1/60 min anyways to avoid motion blur (or it goes on a tripod), so it's a somewhat moot feature for me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Thanks for the clarification :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

With the lenses in your signature (none are stabilized) you might find stabilized 1080p to be more friendly. If you intend to buy the 12-35/35-100 OIS to use with the GH4, then it is going to give better quality. From a pure quality standpoint, Panasonic 4K is miles ahead of Olympus 1080p, but don't overlook the importance of stabilization.

If you are just looking for a video rig, the RX10 II or the new RX10 III might be worth a look. RX10 II covers 24-200mm f2.8 and has very solid 4K with stabilization. The RX10 III was just announced and that is 24-600mm f2.4-4! Both are also weather sealed and having all your zoom in one lens can be very handy for video

18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Buy the G7. Use extra money to buy microphone and a rig/gimbal. You're welcome!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Agreed. I think that the 4K and 1080p on the G7 is the best of any m43 camera to date, particularly with shadow noise. As long as weather sealing isn't a necessity, the G7 is a damn good hybrid camera, especially when purchased on sale for $500-600 with the 14-42 II.

20. theshawnk

theshawnk New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2015
    Shawn
    Great question -- I had the same this summer. I currently own both now, but will (unfortunately) be selling the Oly. To me, the big things are but are NOT limited to:

Oly EM5ii – great small size, great in-camera stability
    GH4 – 4K, easier to record audio in-camera, better ergonomics

I had a Nikon D90, circa 2009, but was looking for a stills travel camera for a trip to Europe last summer. I choose the EM5ii over the GH4 due to image stability baked-in and more of a compact size. I was more stills than video. But that is changing.

I am currently working on my first documentary (output at 1080) and was planning to use the Oly. The only problem was pushing in for key dialog in interviews. I really wanted this functionality and rented another Oly to have a two camera set up. BUT, doing the math, I could buy a GH4 for the amount of times I would have to rent another Oly and a lens. And since this is a self-funded project, renting only makes sense to a point. The GH4 gives me the option of shooting in 4K, so I can shoot the interview, then enlarge (4K video in a 1080 timeline so not really enlarging) the image for those critical moments during the interview.

Simplicity is another factor. With the Oly, I had to buy a Tascam 70D audio recorder, because unless you buy an add-on camera grip, you have no headphone jack to monitor your audio. I can still run a line into the Oly from the Tascam for a scratch track (even final audio if I'm lucky). And Adobe Premiere makes matching audio tracks with the video pretty easy (instead of using Plural Eyes to sync). However, there are more files to keep track of. I still plan on keeping the Tascam, but it will be purely back up. My plan is to get a juicedLink RM222 preamp to take my shotgun and wired lavaliere mic and put it directly into the camera. I'll split the line and run a backup to the Tascam, then dup the channels to run them both at a lower db level, in case the interviewee talks too loud. This is just for back up. The plan is to use audio in-camera.

As far as stability goes, the video dornblaser shared was a tipping point for me for the Oly. But think about how you will be shooting. Most of my shots for the documentary will be on a tripod or monopod. Possibly a slider too. So handheld won't be that big of an issue. If I need that, there is the image stability in Panasonic's lenses. Or I'll rent a gimbal.

I love both of these cameras and would keep the Oly if I had the budget to do that. They both do amazing things. Figure out what is important to you and research based on that. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum and others. I've learned so much over the last several months, but really I'm just getting started in film. Feel free to direct message me if you have any questions, based on what I've written. Good luck!

Current setup:
    - Panasonic GH4
    - Olympus OMD EM5 Mark II (will be selling...)
    - Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens
    - Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Lumix G Vario Zoom Lens
    - Tascam 70D Field Recorder
    - Audio-Technica AT875R Line + Gradient Condenser Microphone
    - Shure Wired Lavaliere Mic
    - Manfrotto 502 head and sticks (great head, but HUGE!)

Soon to purchase:
    - JuicedLink RM222 Preamp
    - Sirui MonoPod / Libec Fluid head
    - Rode Video Mic pro