GH4 new firmware (v2.5): Post Focus, 4K PHOTO, External Flash Burst

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bahamot, Mar 16, 2016.

1. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Looks like good update for GH4 owners.​

• Like Like x 2
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The only thing on that list that interests me is the Flash Burst, but even then I wonder how it'll work. I mean, the flash needs to recharge after each cycle, so how does this differ than what's currently possible with the camera? Also, in the owners manual (at least for the FL-360L which I own), it makes mention to not cycle the flash more than X times per minute (or something like that) or you run the risk of burning out or damaging the flash bulb. Again, how does the firmware update circumvent what seems to be a hardware limitation of the flash unit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Yes, and it's nice to see that even though the GX8 is out, GH4 support remains strong!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It probably doesn't. Cycling limits are dependent on flash duration (output power is controlled by time duration). This is how High Speed Shutter sync is done, and that is why HSS mode has such a low GN.

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, that was my gut reaction as well. You're still going to be limited by the time it takes for the flash to recharge after cycling, as well as the upper temperature limit the flash will function at before it either shuts itself down to prevent damage, or something breaks.

I'll wait to see reviews of how it works first before going through the hassle to updating the FW for something that may not be worth it.

6. luca

luca New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2016
    Hello to everybody, I just tried to upgrade body from version 2.0 to version 2.5 but I was not successful.
    I follow the procedure but when I press play the upgrading doesn't start. Anybody experienced the same?
    Thank you for you answer

7. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Check your battery, the update won't start if it's less than 3 bar.

8. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    One item included is 100gb of free storage for 2 years, and must register at Lumix Club to get an ID. After hours of frustration and phone calls, finally became a "member" (you must set up thru camera menu wifi PITA). They also said camera must be in warranty period- mine is not, but didn't have to get into a debate on that aspect as they accepted my in-warranty LX100. Finally got into website, can't see any option (it did provide link to (existing) Google Drive account, but didn't add 100gb to my account). Again called Panasonic and they don't seem to have clue; nothing on Lumix Club website as to how to get this, and whether it is added to existing or is a new and separate Google Drive account.

Has anyone succeeded with this process? Given the signup hassle, i may well be the first member :)

9. luca

luca New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2016
    Unfortunately it is not that, battery is charged, I don't know

10. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Have you extracted the downloaded file before copied to the SD Card?

11. luca

luca New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2016
    Yes I did, I downloaded the zip file then I extracted it. I tried both copying the .bin and .ebn separately in the root of the SD card and also both inside the folder generated after the extraction that i put in the SD root. Then I press the little green arrow to play whic is on the left side of the camera but the result is just "no valid picture to play", could it be the my actual firmware version is only 2.0? I cannot anyway find older version the 2.5 on the Panasonic support page.

Or maybe you can upgrade the firmware only together with the DMW-YAGH

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  12. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    Try formatting the card in the camera, and make sure there is only one single FirmWare update file on the SD card.

13. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    There just doesn't seem to be enough of a valid reason to do the upgrade if one is strictly a stills shooter as I am.

14. luca

luca New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2016
    I have done it, no way. I also try to see the process with another colleague (sometimes you stop in a mistake and you don't realize it) no chance. Did you succeeded?

15. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    Yes I did succeed but I was running FW 2.4 and not 2.0 like you...

Edit: there should only be one .bin or .lin or .ebn file on the SD card, with more than one file the update does not work...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  16. luca

luca New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2016
    That i maybe the reason.
    Only one file each time.
    I decided not to buy firmware 2.4, but now I don't know how to update to version 2.3. It's anyway strange that there are no indications about it.
    Thank you anyway for your attention

17. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    Just try to go straight to 2.5, should work...

18. luca

luca New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2016
    I tried everything, no way.
    I follow every single step , change full battery with another full battery, change SD, repeat the procedure several time. Not possible