GH4 "light leak"

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by minibokeh, Oct 9, 2014.

1. minibokeh

minibokeh Guest

Received my new GH4 yesterday, very impressed so far, although definitely going to keep the E-M1 since IBIS makes life so much easier.

Issue: I'm seeing a strange "light leak" at the bottom of long exposure images. Below is taken at ISO 200, 10", with lens cap on.
    - are you seeing the same (with your GH4)?
    - is my camera defective?
    - can I do anything to avoid this issue (blocking view finder seems futile as this is a mirror-less camera and EVF ...)

Your help is much appreciated!

<a href="" title="gh4 light leak by Moritz Berger, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="gh4 light leak"></a>

Full size image:
  2. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Just did a similar 10 second exposure @ F8 on my GH4 (with the lens cap on), and it came out totally black - no light leak anywhere.

Are you sure the lens cap was on firmly ?
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Stick the body cap on and try it again?
  4. compute42

compute42 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2014
    I have a "light leak" on the top left corner of both GX7's I have owned.. took it back to sammys camera and was told all of em have this problem to an extent. they said even the new sony alpha A7s they were testing had a bitchin' light leak
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    You also have to wonder how much this sort of thing matters - and whether a lens cap is enough to guarantee a good light seal (that's not what it's designed to do, really). My A7r doesn't have a light leak, but in most long exposure settings where it's, y'know, dark, there's no relevant light to leak in and ruin the image.