GH4/GX8 flash recommendation, please

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lew, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm looking for a flash powerful enough to shoot at f/8 or f/16, iso 200, covers to 20ft out ->AND<- that recycles as fast as I can press the shutter. (I turn auto focus off for this, it uses up too much time). AND I'd like to be able to get the flash off the camera if I can.

Thanks!

2. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    I just picked up a Yongnuo 560 IV and 560tx to control it. I'm new to OCF but I had very good results with this combo shooting outside. The only requirement it wouldn't meet is "recycling as fast as one can press the shutter". The Yongnuo's need a solid 3-4 seconds between each shot at 1/1; and about .5 seconds at the lowest setting of 1/128 in my limited experience. Are there even any flashes that can recycle that quickly?

3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Not unless you're looking to add external battery packs. So, with the Panasonic FL360L at F16 feels like just under 2 sec recycle time, at F8 feels less than 1 sec maybe 1/2 (up to 5-6 shots, pretty much as fast as I'm pushing the trigger. NOT burst mode). That's on the GX8 with 42.5 and iso 200 flash in TTL mode.

Battery type plays into this a lot. NiMH recycle much faster than normal or lithium batteries, and not all NiMH batteries are created equal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    As a correction. I just took a LumoPro LP160 and Cactus V5 triggers. At F16 and 1/4 power setting, I can pretty much fire continuously for 6 shots, but will then see a bit of lag and power dropoff to around 1ish sec after the next few shots. That's manual, so you'll loose TTL. Still, I'm kinda impressed.

5. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Yes everyone, the old school high end portables, with external 200 - 510v battery packs which you wore on your hip could do this. They recycled faster than you could advance your film.

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    For fast recycling at ISO200@f16, a flash with a high voltage battery pack is required. A HV pack can directly recharge the flash capacitor rather than the DC to DC converter in the flash. HV packs are smaller and lighter than the old ones since they are now using rechargeable lithium batteries. Shoe mount type flashes will still be limited to how often they can be fired at close to full output, because the flash tube can over heat and fail.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You'll burn up a normal flash if you do this for more than a few minutes at a time. Most regular shoe flashes have thermal protection to protect against this. So even if the flash can keep up, it will shut itself down to cool off.

You need a specialty product. Perhaps a Qflash? Qflash Overview

If they are going to be used on flash stands, then a pack/head setup might work best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I think that's alot to ask for in a speedlite if your wanting fast recycle time without a battery pack. I dont like to abuse any of my speedlites with such high light output. You never specified if its run/gun or in home or studio. If I need to shoot such small apertures I'll use my einsteins with lithium battery packs which shoots f/16 with no effort while hammering consecutive shots.

Cheetah / godox sells lithium battery speedlite units but seems they've had a string a battery issues. I should do more research if they've rectified the unreliability problems.

The fact that M43 has a small sensor the more dof given the light requirements for the sensor. I'd say f/8 of light is plenty of light for the dof achieved.

I'm currently using a Cactus RF60 w/ Cactus V6 triggers for manual flash .........AWESOME!!!!! Mind you I only use about 1/16 power with my camera set to f/4 for starbust at receptions/weddings/dancefloor. I'd use that setup before using my junk unreliable Pocket wizard flex units i paid over $1300 bucks. I use cybersync for manual flash with my speedlites or use Canon 2.4ghz wireless triggers too if I want ETTL run/gun (dont do it lately since my style has changed)

Even with my full frame canon body I use f/6.3 to f/10 for my in home studio work. I use strobes for fast recycle time.

9. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    It's interesting, I almost never had to go above F/8 until I started doing off camera lighting... and then only to pull down the flash and/or ambient light.

How do you like your RF60s? I've been looking at those in comparison to the new LumoPro 180R (can be remoted by the Pottex Oden), Godox, and the Yongnuo systems as potential upgrades... the idea of remote adjustment to manual flash settings is very appealing.

10. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm totally hip & resigned to carrying a battery pack. I already have two.

11. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Repp, the cactus flash units seem like a decent product. Adjusting manual power is a brainless task... I love it!!

Kill ambient with shutter speed while shooting manual flash.

200 bucks a flash unit is cheap considering it has a built in trigger both master or slave settings. I put the v6 cactus on camera with my canon gear. I will test it with my m43 gear one of these days.