1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH4 - AA filter or no?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jurgen, Mar 6, 2014.

1. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    I've heard it both way. Can anyone confirm? I imagine it has one, seeing how video focused it is.

2. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    I heard one of the reps say that it has the aa filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For video it makes sense. Moire would be a real pain to get rid of in post for video, and the slight loss in sharpness isn't that big a deal for video.

4. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    My thinking as well. Test photos I've seen look plenty sharp, so I don't know why I'm worried. Not like I can afford the thing anyway, haha.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Not all AA filters have the same characteristics. A weak (high corner frequency) AA filter may have very little visible effect on resolution. The pixel pitch of the sensor effects the choice of the appropriate AA filter. There is no reason to assume that a camera without an AA filter will give sharper pictures than one without one.

6. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Interesting! Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

What's the deal with the "no AA filter" (for lack of a better word) "trend" that seems to be cropping up all over the place now? Marketing hype, mostly?

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It's mostly used as a marketing buzz word. The actual visible difference between cameras that have the same sensor, but one has a AA filter and one doesn't are very subtle, require very good lenses and technique to see any difference.