GH4 + 7-14?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by LowTEC, May 29, 2014.

1. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I am considering to upgrade from E-M5 to GH4 for the better ergonomics and improved AF speed. One thing is stopping me right now is that I have been using my beloved 7-14 f4 with my E-M5 and EPL5 on every travel occasion, but the severe purple blob issue really drives me crazy sometimes. (I wouldn't want to explain the difference between normal flare vs serious purple blob happens to EM1, EM5 and GH3, if you don't know the difference, be adviced to take a look at these links https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=45013 and http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_G_7-14mm_f4_H_F007014E/ for references). For those of you lucky guys who own both the GH4 and the panny 7-14mm, any purple blob occurs like on EM1, as mild as on GX7, or completely avoided like on older Panasonic sensors? I might have to wait for another generation if the same issue exists on GH4

Also like to ask, does GH4 finally get the M mode Auto ISO with EV compensation function like on most Nikon's, or even a minimum shutter speed setting? It would be extremely useful for bird shooting for example. Thanks in advance and really appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  2. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Sorry would not know, but I second your suggestions for features (Auto Iso in Manual, Minimum shutter)

3. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Now Canon's, and even a Sony point n shoot RX100iii has M + auto ISO + EV, I would lock the dial to Manual mode 100% of time if any M4/3 camera has it.

4. oxhouser

oxhouser Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2012
    Can't say I have noticed it with GX7, can't you take your lens to a store and test it on a body

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

5. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

The effect is way mild on GX7, I would be more than satisfied if the 714 does look like that on GH4. Sadly, GH4 is still in extreme shortage in my city, have to give them a call tomorrow see if they have them in stock

6. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    In my brief daliance with an EM-5, the purple flare issue was a constant problem. Had never experienced it on my prior GH2, nor has it been an issue on my GH3. I recall there was some discussion of it occuring with the Sony sensor in the GH3, but I certainly haven't seen it.

Can't comment on the GH4, sorry.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  7. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I have heard mixed stories on GH3, maybe Panasonic has acknowledged such issue with their own camera/lens combo and applied a fix on later batch of the GH3? Which year is your GH3 may I ask?

8. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Without looking, I'm going to say my GH3 is late 2012 or first quarter 2013 . . .

I was so relieved to be back to a good-quality Panasonic body after suffering through the ideosyncrasis of the EM5, and the absence of color fringing and purple flares was part of the relief.

Sorry, I realize this isn't helping much.

Brian

9. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Can't answer all your questions, but: there is no minimum shutter speed setting, much to my chagrin. This is the #1 feature I'd like introduced in a firmware update.

10. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Brian, it is good to find out it wasn't a recent fix on GH3

11. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I think they are missing out some essential features, in order to attract sport shooting / birding pros to get into M4/3 system. I hope they have their mind sorted out by the time either of the 150 2.8's comes out. With their heavy development and advertising on a fastest C-AF system in all mirrorless systems to capture fast action image, they left out shutter prioritizing features?!

12. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

This might help

I recall seeing an on line discussion about this issue about 1 year ago. When first reported, Panasonic contacted Olympus. This condition is lens flair and occurs more often with Oly bodies due to the spectral bandpass characteristics of the IR cut filter Olympus uses. Panasonic's IR filter and or in-camera processing is probably offering more attenuation. Purple (violet) is at the end of the visible light spectrum so it makes sense that it is a function of the IR cut filter's bandpass characteristics. Some have reported seeing this on Panasonic bodies, but barely visible. I have the 7-14 and have not seen this when the lens is used with several Panasonic bodies.

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, purple/violet is at the opposite end of the spectrum from red.

I read that many sensors are using less IR & UV filters lately to improve sensitivity.
    Unfortunately, this cause more flare on lenses that don't have the right coatings.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

14. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Here is an update on the GH4 with 714, I tested them along with my EM5, the blob issue is greatly suppressed on GH4 while my EM5 has all the purple wonders. I don't seem to find the auto ISO has the option with 1/3 of a stop of increment, why they did that, I have no idea. I can also reconfirm that GH4 has M with auto ISO but they left out EV compensation in that mode, and there is no minimum shutter speed for fast action shooting....