GH3's are starting to arrive!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wasabi Bob, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

• Like Like x 1
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Can't wait to see some GH3 user images around here!

3. Wasabi Bob

Here's some

I used one back in September.
    Here's a link I posted a while back in another section. These were shot with GH3 and G5, so look at the camera ID for each photo.

Tribute in Light 2012 - a set on Flickr

4. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    At a glance, the GH3 pictures are much nicer (to my eyes) than the G5 pics, but that could be due to any number of factors outside the camera body - what was your takeaway from the two cameras? I'm mainly asking since I have the GH2 (same sensor as the G5) and am considering an upgrade to the GH3 if it's warranted.

5. Wasabi Bob

That's a tricky question

I really could not give you a fair comparison because the G5 shots were taken from RAW, while GH3 were JPG. At the time, no RAW support was available for GH3. But even with that unbalanced comparison, GH3 had more dynamic range.
    If you look at that set on Flickr, you'll see a panorama of NYC. That was done from JPG's. It's an awesome shot. I'd like to do that over in RAW. It lost the EXIF data when it was stitched using Microsoft ICE.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/8007877075/in/pool-1639664@N22

I'm planning on doing a few more comparisons as soon as I find a good subject. Don't misunderstand me, I shot the G5 in Hawaii and got some awesome shots. G5 is an under appreciated camera. I think in some ways its better than GH2, since it uses the same sensor with a more robust Venus engine. I'm also a firm believer that the person behind the camera is often the more relevant component of the comparison. Just slightly over or under exposing the shot can really make all the difference.

6. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I've had some G5/production GH3 raws here of the same subject, in the same light, with the same lens (not 100% controlled, but good enough for me).

My take is that the GH3 has slightly better dynamic range (perhaps 1/3 a stop - perhaps a bit more), about a stop better noise, slightly better colour balance, is sharper and.. that's about it.

If those things float your boat then it's going to be a winner.

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    As much as I want to like the GH3, it is obvious Panasonic's main focus was to please the video crowd. Most of the improvements were video related. The photographic upgrades seem incremental considering the huge price premium.

Saying that, new cameras are always exciting. I look forward to reading hands on user experiences.

8. Wasabi Bob

Many still photographers are expanding into video, and "Hybrid Photography" is an emerging subset of digital photography. I think their goal was to offer a product that follows "Kaizen", the Japanese philosophy of continual improvement. It's definitely not for everyone, but there are many people who were initially not thrilled and are now becoming very enthusiastic. Time will tell.

9. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Ive got a GH3 arriving tomorrow if the couriers turn up as expected
    Will post first impressions and hopefully some photos on Sunday !
    Regards
    Rob

10. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Some video people are complaining the camera was optimized for stills. Andrew Reid on the video front believes the GH3 has better video overall but fine detail is no longer rock solid like on the Gh2 (i guess this is down to aliasing/moire) Too bad because that's one of the things that really set the GH2 apart from dslrs.

11. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
  12. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn

Looking forward to see your photos and your opinion of this camera!

13. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Henry's has the GH3 out in full force at most stores I visit.

14. wikoproductions

wikoproductions Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 14, 2012
    Just picked up my GH3 at Kerrisdale Cameras in Vancouver :D
    Now to save up for the 7-14, 25, and 35-100 in that order.

15. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I'm waiting to see how much the rumored GH3 + 12-35 kit sells for, and maybe save up for that.

16. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Took delivery of my GH3 yesterday as expected

(Just spent half an hour writing this entry only for my ipad to shut the forum and I lost it all !
    Here goes again - probably !)

The GH3 is a wonderful thing to behold and an unexpected M43 camera dream come true for me ( on first impressions) and the camera I now know I wanted without ever having seen or prescribed it
    It has so many manual controls and is so comfortable
    It has a really tactile / solid well made feel - a bit like the G5 but 'much more of the same'
    I always really liked the placement of the shutter / aperture control dial on the Canon D1100 I had for a short while - on top of the grip behind the shutter button
    This is where the GH3 has one of its dials and for me this is absolutely perfect placement my index finger falling very nicely and comfortably onto it
    The rear dial is also an improvement over that of the G5 - where it was just a little too far 'around the corner' meaning that you had to adjust your grip too much to adjust aperture / shutter
    Having two control dials like this gives the GH3 the feeling and useability of a high end DSLR and means that you no longer need to feel 'short changed' in terms of control for the sake of compactness compared to high end DSLRs
    Talking of which this is much larger than the G5. It is indeed akin to a compact DSLR
    I had a D5100 until recently which I didnt use and sold due to my preference for M43
    I would say from memory that the GH3 is similar sized.
    Id say that (again from memory that the GH3 is similar in weight (or even slightly heavier) the GH3 having a very substantial solid quality feel to it
    I have always preferred tactile manual controls and dials and with the GH3 I am spoilt - I dont think a M43 camera could be better in terms of controls (again on first impressions). I always felt. a little 'lazy' with delving into the available options and settings on cameras with touch interfaces which meant that I didnt always fully explore the potential of some of my previous M4/3 bodies
    Only in recent weeks have I sold my trusty GH1 which was always untill now the 'model' for me for controlability
    The GH3 surpasses the GH1/2 by a long way in terms of ergonomics and control - the GH1 / 2 always felt a bit uncomfortable - a bit too 'hard' and cramped (I am 6 feet 6 inches tall with hands and fingers to match)
    Talking of size again - the lens mount flange looks a little 'lost' in terms of relative size and very small lenses like the 14mm Pancake are going to look very out of place on this body whereas larger lenses such as the 100 - 300 and 14 - 140 ( my favourite) are going to be very manageable / comfortable to use. I have the 20mm on at the moment and this looks very suited size wise
    Id say that the larger size of the camera is a compromise worth making for the full range of controls on offer - this really appeals to me and really makes me want to use the camera
    It certainly will not suit everyone as some will find the size too much. I will certainly not be able to have this as my only M43 camera as I also highly value compactness and I will need to keep another body for slipping into a pocket with a pancake.
    I have an EPL -2 which I love and will keep this for that purpose. I always like to have an example from both Olympus and Panasonic not least because of the IBIS which I will need when I get myself a 60mm Oly Macro next year when the flowers and insects return
    I havent looked into customisation yet - there is no dedicated IAuto button (everbody frowns !?,) but instead this is assigned to the mode dial
    I always like to have my camera in IAuto whilst walking around in standby so that I dont miss a brief / passing spontaneous photo opportunity that may never cone again that I wouldnt want to miss whilst busying myself setting the camera !
    I imagine that I can assign the fn button to the right of the mode dial which is roughly where the iAuto button would normally be and from where it would fall nicely and quickly to index finger
    The video button is very nicely placed - although quite close to the top edge of the screen It falls very nicely and naturally under the thumb from the sculptured grip area to the left of the rear shutter dial
    Unfortunately I was in hospital last night at 03.00 with my wife and 3 year old who had come down with a respiratory infection (which I have also caught) so my planned photographic excursion today has gone by the way and Ill have to wait until another day to get out and about to actually use the darn thing !!!
    In summary this would seem to be the 'perfect for the time being' M43 camera FOR ME with a couple of provisos.
    There is still no IBIS which would make it as near perfect as it could be perhaps and the size is admittedly a compromise which I am more than happy to make for the superb controls now at hand. The compact size of the lenses for M43 will always mean that overall package size is always good and far better than DSLR
    I had read reports about the size of the Camera being as big as DSLRs and had decided that it was going to be too big. That and the expected retail price had put me off of considering it (just yet)
    However I managed to obtain the Limited Lumix Lifestyle offer for existing members and got the body for effectively £840.00 after impending cashback.
    Im glad I took the plunge and comparing that price against the OM-D (which will not lose its place in the market) with added grip this was a great bargain and an unexpected opportunity to purchase the flagship model which I would otherwise not have been able to afford for a year or which I woud have overlooked due to the size implications
    Having had it in my hands I would not consider another body until something better eventually comes along which to my mind will be some way off (again for me)
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 3
  17. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    On the contrary in my opinion - id say that if anything Panasonic have compromised a little on video potential (from reading several articles on the detailed spec)
    The apparently weak anti aliasing filter being an obvious example - a compromise designed to increase stills sharpness at the cost on increased moire in video
    I would also say that the emphasis on tactile manual controls is aimed at increasing useability for stills
    Regards
    Rob

18. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Yea I have to agree with Rob here. I mean, I certainly don't feel like they compromised stills for the sake of video. The addition of dual knobs, more buttons, weather sealing, weakish anti-aliasing filter 1-2 stop improvement in dynamic range over the GH2, 1-2 stops improvement in low light performance, much larger battery, more comfortable grip, possibility for a battery grip, much improved continuous autofocus(apparently), faster EVF readout, faster burst rate, horizon level, wider pop up flash, PC sync port, HDR mode, ability to use a smartphone or tablet as a remote viewfinder/shutter release, electronic shutter, etc.... all seem like they could help anyone's still phototography =P