Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nickthetasmaniac, Oct 30, 2011.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Just been pondering stuff and was wondering what people would like to see from a GH3?

For the sake of discussion let's assume that it is released as the Panasonic flagship and there's no GF7/G-Awesome in the interim :wink:

As a user of the GH2 these are the improvements/additions I'd use:

- I love the balance of resolution and noise performance from the 16mp sensor, but the DR hurts... More please :smile:
    - Mag-alloy body or a plastic body built to the quality of a K20D. GH2 build sucks...
    - Likewise, improve feels of the things you touch - buttons and dials and so on. Make the scroll wheel feel like it belongs on a $1000 camera. Buttons on GX1 look promising.
    - 5fps is fine for me but give us a buffer that makes it usable - 20 frames +
    - Better LCD and EVF performance, and for gods sake calibrate the two... I don't understand why the EVF needs to be cooler than the LCD :confused:
    - Focus peaking and box-in-box magnification (like G3).
    - Double the battery life... Or has battery tech not changed in the last decade?
  2. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    My wishlist:

* Focus peaking
    * Wireless flash triggering
    * Built-in level finder
    * Totally revamped battery - like 500 shots per charge
    * Totally fast buffer - If I shoot 5-7 RAW shots in succession now, it takes some time to save onto the card
    * A totally new sensor! But not more megapixels. Actually, Panny can reduce it to 14MB with improved noise control.
    * Usable JPGs OOC. No need to tweak. Let the colors shine!

If you just give me focus peaking, wireless flash trigger, and revamped battery, I'm in.

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Slightly wider body and raise the height of the "shoulders" to give the controls some breathing space and to increase the height of the grip so that your pinky isn't left dangling. If the extra width could be gained by reducing the size of the screen hinge without affecting it's strength then all the better. Seperate finger and thumb wheels instead of (or as well as) the single click-wheel. The rear four-button control should sit flush with the screen rather than recessed.
  4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I have just one issue with the GH2 so far: I'd like its successor to have lower noise at base ISO. Apart from that they can leave the camera unchanged as far as I'm concerned.
  5. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've been very happy with my GH2 all around, no really major complaints or wishes. However, if I had to put together a list..

I'd like:
    Bigger buffer
    Faster continuous shooting without losing the view
    Better focus tracking for moving subjects
    Improved sensor tech (incremental improvement on high iso noise, but especially low ISO noise, and hopefully a sensor that does 100 ISO again)

Nice to have:
    Better battery life
    Focus peaking
    Nicer body (only if similar weight though)
    Capacitance touch screen (although I rarely use it, but the pressure touch might be part of the reason)

Stretch goal:
  6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'd like to have a breakout/expansion box that connected via HDMI or some other connector and provided the following:

- audio monitoring
    - XLR inputs
    - RAW 2k video capture
    - slot for extra battery/AC input

Basically, an extra unit that expanded the video capabilities. I'd be willing to spend as much for this unit as I am for the body itself, but Pany is not likely to release it if it steals sales from their AF100
  7. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Never understood this one --logically DR is the range of tones which can clearly be distinguished before being swamped with noise. To me (and a number of posts/articles have tried to demonstrate this) noise and DR are inextricably linked. What many mean with DR is actually highlight clipping. But this is mainly an issue with JPG processing, although for me the point at which an image clips in RAW is a little darker than with a FF sensor for instance. However what we should be judging is how clean the shadows are given an exposure which is correct for the highlights -- or, if we don't care about the highlights on some images, the noise level when exposing for the shadows. And the GH2 is really fairly impressive in this area though it does lose out slightly to the best of the APS-C sensors.

Anyway, my list:

1. global shutter or at least something which is silent (or at least much quieter) and allows up to 1/16000"
    2. a more detailed EVF
    3. reduced noise and ideally a return to ISO 100

If at least two of these are convincingly met then I'll probably upgrade unless the the excellent design along with half the buttons and dials is lost.

8. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    In conjunction with all that has been written thus far, I hope for a real dedicated Panasonic micro flash (with all the capabilities of Nikon SB900 :)) for our super camera: the GH3.
  9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    A better flash system would be nice.
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    After reading through the above, my thoughts:

Better DR / better high-ISO noise performance would be nice, but I'm not really unhappy with what's there now.

I'd like the option of a lower ISO; At least down to 80, maybe even 40. Yes, IQ might suffer some, but the ability to get lower shutter speeds would be nice.

I'm OK with the basic layout of the buttons. but would like a way to prevent accidental presses. It's too easy to accidentally change WB, especially. And I'd like to be able to apply ANY menu setting to the programmable Fn buttons. For that matter, make ALL the buttons programmable, not just 3 of them.

TWO control dials. One front and one rear.

Definitely a bigger buffer and faster card writes for shooting raw or raw+jpeg. A faster frame rate would be nice, but not critical. Rarely do I need more than 5 fps, but I would like to be able to shoot 15 or 20 frames in a row and not have to wait forever for the buffer to empty.

On a related note, a faster frame rate for exposure bracketing. There's no reason it can't shoot 3 or 5 frames in bracketing mode at 5 fps.

Higher res and much faster responding EVF. In low light, trying to follow motion through the EVF is impossible. And I'd like it to more accurately reflect the exposure if I'm using EC or exposure lock.

Built-in PDAF, as shown in Panasonic's patent, for shooting fast moving action.

A way to turn the touch screen OFF, so I don't accidentally change settings. (I don't want capacitance touch screen because it won't work with gloves on.)

Focus peaking would be a bonus, and it should be easy to implement, but isn't terribly critical for me. (Nick, what do you mean by "box-in-box" magnification?)

What I don't want is a different battery format yet again. Let me use my existing GH2 batteries. (You're not going to get "Double the battery life" without a bigger battery. Maybe 15 or 20% better. Battery tech hasn't improved THAT much. ) And open up the specs for the battery so 3rd party vendors can make fully functional batteries. (Yeah, fat chance, I know.)

An optional vertical grip / battery grip for those who just have to be able to shoot 500 shots without changing batteries.

Built in remote flash capability, whether it's RF or optical. But just copying Oly's would be easiest.

Built in level is another nice-to-have, but not critical.
  11. CityFox

CityFox New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2011
    London E16
    Battery Grip
    Tougher build with better feel buttons.
    Level indicator
    Improved EVf as per Sony A77
    Olympus quality JPEG processing
  12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Unlimited time on the bulb setting.
    More DR and less noise.
    Remote flash capabilities (TTL)
    Optional grip for when I need additional battery power.
    Matching what you see in the EVF to the actual output (ala Olympus)

But I'd rather see the new body on hold and ALL r&d going to making those fast zooms that have been rumored forever.

• Like Like x 1
  13. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    What do you mean by this:
    I agree!
  14. MarcusBrody

MarcusBrody New to Mu-43

Oct 6, 2011
    New Haven
    I'm sure no one would complain about better DR and high iso performance. I certainly wouldn't. I'd prioritize the former over the latter.

One thing that I'd really want that hasn't been mentioned is better manual control over audio levels when recording video. I want the ability to turn off autogain as well as slightly better preamps (can't hope for TOO much) and a standard 3.5mm plug rather than the current, finicky 2.5 plug.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    First, I have only ever shot RAW with the GH2, so I have no idea what the jpeg performance is like...

When I say improved DR, what I means is first, highlight clipping - I want more headroom and I'd like the transition to be a bit less abrupt.

Second, shadows - I'd like more 'depth' in the shadows before black, and I'd like to be able to push the shadows further with less noise.

Someone with a G3 would probably explain it better, but from what I understand, when you magnify the screen for focus, you can just magnify the centre section. So there's a magnified bit in the middle of the screen and everything around that is normal... Means you can still see what's going on :smile:
  16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Thanks Nick. That makes sense, and I can see it would be useful in some situations. Not critical for me, but one would assume that since they've implemented it in the G3 it would be easy to do in the GH3, too.
  17. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Unlike other users I have no complaints about the build of the GH2, it does not feel less rugged than the Olympus E-620 or E-510.
    It is also pretty weather resistant as I found out when I was caught in a snowstorm in Austria back in July.

Above all I would like the availability of lenses and accessories to be improved.
    The camera must accept third party batteries with only one warning to be displayed, then it must function normal like with a Panny battery.

Noiseless at base ISO.
    Built-in timer for time-lapse photography
    • Like Like x 1