GH3, wifi and favo(u)rites...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by arad85, Aug 29, 2013.

1. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Just got my GH3... nice - finally a :43: camera that is comfortable to hold :cool:

I'm having a problem with the wifi. I can connect to a Windows share, transfer images to the windows share as they are being taken and then save the wifi location as a favourite. I can then disconnect and reconnect to the wifi network by selecting it from the menu.

If I turn the camera off and then back on again, the wifi menu is reset. I can't select previous or favourites at all - they are greyed out as a selection. This seems wrong. Can someone either confirm this is the way it works (which is totally stupid!) or try and point me where I am going wrong.

I am on v1.2 of the body firmware - which is the latest AFAIK.

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The WiFi is very hit and miss, I've had it working perfectly then it doesn't work at all, Pany really need to go back to basics and rethink it through. My impression is it was rushed out to meet a deadline but wasn't really ready for commercial release.
    I wouldn't spend too much time on it, you will just get frustrated by it's sporadic operation, a great concept but a work in progress me thinks.

Paul

3. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    The reason I want to use it is that my (not very often used) studio is in my garage. The ability to take pics and have them uploaded ready to process is a great idea. Just a pain to have to setup every time I use it!

4. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    It's the first implementation of WiFi and is fraught with issues.
    The next implementation hopefully will be better thought out and more reliable but this is all we have for the time being.

Paul

5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    It certainly is!

6. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    It does work, but can be confusing to setup and then confusing to reconnect, I dont know why you are seeing greyed out menus though, look at the other thread about GH3 wifi that I replied to yesterdaymit might help

Paul

7. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks, but that's not the issue. I can connect, take photos which are uploaded and then save the connection to favourites. I can reconnect via favourites as long as I don't turn it off... If I turn it off however, the connection is deleted and I have to re-type in everything.

8. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    My camera reconnects even after it's turned off, it remembers the connections so don't know why your's doesn't.

Paul

9. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Oooh.. It seems to if I don't register it to favourites. If I just leave it in the history, it seems to be ok! More playing tomorrow, but that's good enough for me...