1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 Weather Seal what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lew, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Ok, it's "weather sealed." What does this mean in practical terms? In what actual weather conditions? With what lenses? Also, I'd like to hear from anyone with actual experience in these conditions.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    First off, I'll state the obvious: "weather sealed" is not "waterproof" -- it's not an underwater camera. It just means that the camera can withstand a bit of rain and/or splashing. It also provides some measure of protection against dust. I've read stories of people submerging their weather-sealed Olympus 4/3 cameras in salt water and rinsing them off in the shower, but I'm not sure I'd make that my routine.

The only native weather-sealed lenses are the Olympus 12-60 (OM-D kit lens), Olympus 60mm macro and the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 zooms. There are also some 4/3 weather sealed lenses that you can use in conjunction with a weather sealed 4/3-to-:43: adapter (Olympus MMF-3).

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I believe that the standard of Weather sealing on the GH3 is higher than that of the OM-D
    It achieves a higher rating which indicates that it will withstand slightly harsher conditions
    Rob

4. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    GH3's weather sealing is not as solid as E-M5, the SD card slot doesn't have any weather sealing at all, but the battery compartment does.

5. loskexos

loskexos Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    Stuttgart
    -10 degrees Celsius, heavy snow. No issues at all. But I always have a small cloth on top of body and lens as additional protection.

6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    It means you can take it swimming:wink:

7. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    Where do you find a weather sealing "rating", out of curiosity?

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I haven't used mine... but AFAIK, I can use it on an average rainfall conditions without problems. I have used Nikon DSLRs and lenses that are rated as "weather-sealed" under the rain.

9. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    I dont know where to find it but read elsewhere the other day that there is a rating system and that the GH3 achieves a higher rating on that system than the OM-D - more towards water proof than merely splash proof - it may have come up on this forum
    Until then I wasnt aware that there was a rating system
    Regards
    Rob

10. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    I suppose you spent several hours testing both cameras to prove your hypothesis?

11. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Cool. Now we need to hear from someone who's actually shot in the rain or at the shore.

12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I will update this thread regarding this. Mine is still in transit... so it may take a little while.

13. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Howz that? Are you planning on giving the new baby a bath? haha

14. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Australia
    Rob
    I think weather sealed would NOT constitute immersion of any kind for any time period ..
    Just assume the weather sealing is ineffective and dont risk unnecessary exposure to rain or moisture and the rest is safety margin ..

15. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeah originally I would like to take GH3 for the shower, but no sealing at SD card slot make it a no no

I have showered my E-M5, but definitely won't do that with GH3
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHb2yo0PZsA]Olympus E-M5 taking shower - YouTube[/ame]

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thats an impressive video...........did it still work without fault afterwards and are there any lasting ill effects from a severe soaking?

17. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    should've turned it on after the shower!

18. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    So you think Panasonic weather sealed all but the sd card slot simply because they "forgot"? Well, it may look that way to the untrained eye but the design of the cover will not allow water to filter in. Fear not Padawan.

Also, the guy showering his OMD might have have better protection by washing hid camera with the water resistant lens attached. The lens itself has an o-ring which compresses against the camera body.

19. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

The Olympus body carries an IPX 1 rating, while the GH3 carries an IPX 2 rating. For this definition, falling water can be considered a "light rain". On both bodies, this only applies when the lens carries the same rating (so 12-35 & 35-100 only), and at least with the GH3, the flash must be closed.

IPX-1: Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10 minutes. Unit is placed in its normal operating position.

IPX-2: Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees - Same as IPX-1 but unit is tested in 4 fixed positions - tilted 15 degrees in each direction from normal operating position.

I'd take an umbrella if it's more than a morning shower!

20. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc