1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 vs OM-D, Size comparison..... Closer than you might think

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by heli-mech, Jul 7, 2013.

1. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Pretty crappy photos due to using my sons P&S and a complete lack of time but it gives you a pretty good idea. Essentially with both wearing grips they are nearly the same size, and for me fit in the same bags. In fact the hot shoes are almost the exact same height, but the body of the GH3 is taller. The main size difference is the depth of the body and that is also the key to a better hand hold (for me anyway).

All in all I say the "huge size" of the GH3 is a bit of a optical illusion. Yes it is bigger but it looks bigger than it really is. Mainly because the body is taller (less of a difference between the surface of the dials and hotshoe) and deeper, but neither of those things actually take up space in a bag. Now if you don't use a grip on the OM-D there is obviously a much greater difference.

9236387096_a9fa82f129_c.

Colored the GH3 so it shows up better. The GH3 is slightly wider although it doesn't show in the picture.
    9236388176_00a43d60ae_c.

This shows the slight extra width of the GH3 and its great total depth due partly to the viewfinder extension.
    9233607125_e51499fe2f_c. [/url]

With OM-D's flash mounted
    9233608775_f21f5d8f86_c.

Oops look whos taller now (partial grip on OM-D, no grip on GH3)
    9236389900_7cbf5610b5_c.

Notice that although the OM-D's hotshoe is taller, the GH3's main body is taller.
    9233607907_421ca5b794_c.

2. hypnomatt

hypnomatt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
  3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Thanks guys for posting...

The size factor is mostly negated by the improved ergonomics and handling. Now being spoiled with the number of external controls available on the GH3, I don't know how I will feel using other M4/3 bodies... it must take a little getting used to.

4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Personally I think it feels much bigger and looks much bigger in real life, I use them both with no grip and the difference is substantial I think.
    I like the GH3 but do prefer the more compact size of the OM-D.

Paul

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Regardless of size, they are both really good cameras with superb sensors that can give their larger cousins a real run for their money (and size/weight).

Now that the format has proved a viable proposition for the manufacturers, we are seeing better sensors and some stunning lenses appearing and this will only continue to increase as more realise the advantages of size & weight - the mirrorless format is surging ahead and now that the "Big boys" have joined the fray it will only get better and the allegiance between the Sony/Olympus - Fuji/Panasonic will I am sure deliver some stunning technology for the future.

6. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I don't think gripless there is much debate on the size, but for people like me that used some part of the om-d grip 95% of the time the difference is greatly reduced. The only time I found running gripless on the om-d made sense was with a pancake len, then you actually get a smaller package. That was an advantage for the OM-D, it was almost a modular camera depending on the grip/lens combo used.

7. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Absolutely, once even the first part of the grip is put on the OM-D it becomes similar in size to the ungripped GH3 which puts them on equal footing.
    I can happily use the OM-D with any of my lenses with no grip but look forward to trying it with the grip once it arrives.

Paul

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I guess the conclusion is that if you need a full grip to handle the OMD (and require a built-in flash to boot) then your camera will be only slightly smaller than the GH3. Fair enough. But the whole point of the OMD is that you don't need to add all that stuff, and without it the camera is dramatically smaller. As Kiwi Paul's pictures show, it's not even close. You know, you can't take the grip and flash off of the GH3!

It's be interesting to know how many people keep the grip permanently attached to the OMD, especially the bottom part that adds significant height. To me, it's sort of like adding a lens hood to a pancake lens.

9. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Well as I have said for me the OM-D without grip was not comfortable in the least. To take your statement one step farther though, if you never plan on using the grip then why the OM-D at all and why not a P or PL with viewfinder? Then you can remove the viewfinder for any even smaller camera.

I think it also boils down to your whole kit as well, do you use little primes or bigger zooms, or even large legacy lenses? Do you use larger external flashes or hardly even use on board flash? As soon as you start using larger lenses/accessories the total package size becomes closer in size regardless of the body, but the handling is greatly improved with the larger body.

Frankly both cameras are really great, neither is "better" they are just different.

10. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I use the JB grip (which adds a 1/2" of height while giving a secure grip) constantly on the EM5. It's just too small for me otherwise. I often have a cannon 300 or, now the 75, on the EM, both of which are heavy lenses. I also have a G5 that fits really well w/o help. Panny ergos are much better for large hands.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There's no question that if you're comparing the base cameras, without add-ons, the GH3 is substantially bigger than the OM-D. The "catch" is that (for me, YMMV), the ergonomics of the OM-D are so horribly cramped, and the camera so uncomfortable to use, without the grip, that I'd need to add at least the horizontal grip to the OM-D to make it enjoyable to shoot with. And once you've done that both the size difference and price difference narrow considerably. And even with a grip, the ergos of the OM-D are cramped, and the button and dial placement compromised, by Oly's apparent decision that small size was the most important design criteria.

There's a reason SLR design evolved from bodies styled like the OM-D (think Canon FTb, Nikon F), to bodies with add-on winders / grips, to bodies with integrated grips, and the shutter release migrated from the top plate to the top of the grip. The more modern designs are simple more comfortable to hold and use, and the forward mounted shutter release easier to reach, and out of the way of the strap.

Overall, I think I prefer the size and weight of the GH2 to either, but even the GH2 is somewhat compromised ergonomically (I tend to inadvertently hit the WB button with the palm of my right hand). The ideal body, for me, would probably be a GH3 sized body with the plastic / metal construction (and lighter weight) of the GH2.

12. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    About 3oz/100g between GH2 and GH3... agian not as much as people likely think.

GH2
    Approx. 444 g / 15.66 oz (SD card, Battery, Body)
    Approx. 392 g / 13.82 oz (Body only)

GH3
    Approx. 550 g / 19.40 oz (SD card, Battery, Body)
    Approx. 470 g / 16.58 oz (Body only)
    (dimensions off panasonic website)

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Almost 4 oz (1/4 lb.) with batteries, but yes not a great difference. Not enough to keep me from getting a GH3, but weight is the reason I got into m43 in the first place. I had no issues with my Canon gear, except aching back, neck and shoulders after carrying a body and 3 or 4 lenses around all day.

14. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Still really light "system" compared to DSLR, for example

Canon 60D with 17-55mm 2.8: 1400g/49oz
    GH3 with 12-35mm 2.8: 850g/29oz

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I'm not arguing that one camera is better than the other; I'm just questioning the significance of the conclusion that the OMD isn't that much smaller after you've attached all that stuff to it. Given your reaction to the OMD, the GH3 is obviously the better choice for you. But for those of us who have no problem with the ergonomics of the OMD (sans grip), the larger size of the GH3 is definitely a negative. And we applaud Oly's decision to emphasize small size.

The question I have is--and I'm not trying to stir up trouble--if size really isn't an important criterion, why do people choose m43 in the first place? There are plenty of big DLSRs with lots of controls, all of which have a larger sensor (theoretically an advantage) and often lower price tags than the GH3. If I had $1500 to spend, and size didn't matter--or if I actually WANTED a larger camera--I probably wouldn't spend it on a GH3.

16. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    It really is horses for courses, like I've said I can happily use the OM-D with no grip and find it a nimble, nicely balanced camera with all my lenses, where the GH-3 although great ergonomics and a comfortable grip and hold just for me feels a bit cumbersome in comparison.

Paul

Sent from my ME301T using Mu-43 mobile app

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    This is hugely important ;
    I think Panasonic missed a trick : the G3 was an ergonomic triumph, the G5 fixed the G3's 'wrong' bits, Olympus showed everyone the E-M5's sensor ... and there was GAS and WANT ... BUT the GH3 is the only Panasonic with that gem of a sensor.
    We CAN NOT buy a flip-out-screen, EVF'ed, Gripped, Panasonic-menu'd m4/3rds camera with THAT sensor in a proper small size.
    If we could ... Woofmix(Kiwi Paul) may not have bought that evil e-M5 ...

Anyway, so many requirements and each body has it's own set of qualities.
    Funny how the NEX6/X-E1 still hasn't appeared in m4/3rds world! :confused:

18. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew

See my post a couple up:
    FAR greater difference between GH3 and DSLR than there is between gripless OM-D and GH3. Don't get me worng I REALLY like the OM-D, it was simply a case of it not fitting "me" right or as well as the GH3. The significance of my conclusion is obviously geared towards those that are in the same boat as me, using the OM-D with grip only, and how the two cameras in that configuration are much closer in size than many people make out.

Again though if small size is someones main priority, then why not a pm2 or pl5 instead of OM-D?

19. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I bought the EM5 for several reasons, now I'm used to it, I prefer the feel and handling to the G5 and GH3, not what I expected but just how it is, it just suits the way I use a camera and my medium to large hands have no issues with it.
    I'm really surprised as I didn't expect to like it as much, to me it feels nimble and all the buttons and dials just where I expect them to be and I've configured it so I can change the settings I want quickly and easily.
    I like the G5 and GH3 but the EM5 suits me better ungripped.

Paul

Sent from my ME301T using Mu-43 mobile app

20. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I think if you handed both cameras to 100 people you would find close to a 50/50 split in terms of which they liked better. Neither can be successfully argued as "Better" and both are great cameras. I am glad Panasonic gave me a choice of a larger camera, as I am sure there are many that are glad Olympus made such a compact package.