GH3 vs D700 - Sport Photography

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by HNM43, Feb 23, 2013.

1. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    Hello, before people start to burn me, please let me explain.

I am an enthusiasm/occansionally pro photographer (i.e, shoot photography as a passion, and get pay about 8 times a year).

A long time Nikon user, recently convert to M43. Originally I have the D700 and D7000, however I change my D7000 for an OMD, and loving the little Olympus.

With the OMD, I understand that it couldn't really Continue focus as well as the D7000, so I use it mainly my personal passion photography side, it is small, with great IQ and a pleasure to carry and use. I have been mainly using this camera for about 4 months now.

So come to my D700, I have this with 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 VR2, which I put as side to use to the paid Sport Photography job (mainly during the summer). I recently got the set out (a friend ask if I would be their wedding photography), and realise how heavy the whole thing is.

I haven't used the GH3 so can't say much about, I understand that DSLR are still much better with Continue Focus, just wondering where with my limited used is it worth keep the D700 with the 2 lenses, or is the GH3 good enough to replace the D700 for those occansionally Sport Photography jobs?

Nikon D700 vs Panasonic GH3?
    D700 - Full frame with great Continue Focus
    GH3 - Seem to be much smaller and light

Nikon 24-70 vs Panasonic 12-35?

Nikon 70-200 VR2 vs Panasonic 35-100?

Anyway help, advice would be most appreciated.

2. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    What kind of sports? I've posted my experience of using the GH3 for motorsports HERE. To sum up, it's workable, but not as easy as with a normal SLR and good lenses.

3. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    100 meters sprint (sometime just 60m). Mainly because it is work, there will be certain shoot that I can't really miss out.

Really like your panning shot by the way

4. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Oh dear, thats quite the question!
    Fist off the d700 is quite the monster, insane low light and coupled with that very good 70-200 its hard to argue with. But I get exactly from where youre coming from...most of the stuff I do is paid work, weddings and such, as for sports im the official photographer for the state's baseball federation. That translates to coverage about twice a month. I got a used (and fairly beaten) 1dmk4 the moment I signed, thinking that my sony (had sony at the moment) af system wasn't really gonna cut it. Long story short I do the whole baseball thing just with m43 now. The gh3, omd, the 35-100 and the 100-300, I realized (through painful experience) that knowing where the action is going to be gets you better shots than traking+continuous shooting+hope. I only have real problems when theres somebody coming at me very rapidly. I get around that by shooting at a slight angle.
    so id have to ask you what sport it is youre shooting? At what time of the day are you shooting? What are the photos used for?

If its broad daylight then the gh3 will serve you well, single shot focus is insanely fast, and being at somewhere like f4 gives you enough dof so that the majority of the burst sequence will be sharp and in focus. With the d700 even with tracking f2.8 is s big no anyway and you have to be somewhere between f5.6-8. What i do with the federation are mostly at night with park lights, but the photos are for the promo site which are 1024 pixels at the longest end so I have no fears shooting at iso 6400, but 1600-3200 puts me at a high enough shutter speed at f2.8-4. All in all I get the same amount of keepers I use to get with the 1dmk4, but with the mk4 it was easier.

As for the lenses, well I havent tried the nikons. The 12-35 blows the canon 24-70 I out of the water. And I mean no contest. The 24-70 II is a bit sharper, but only if youre on a ff body. The canon 70-200 II is sharper than the 35-100, but the 35-100 is pin sharp nonetheless, only a bit less sharp at the long end. Stopping it down to as little as 3.5 puts it right back in the canon's territory.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    Thank you very much for your reply and great details and explainations, I can see you really understand dilema.

Most of the time the sport I take will be 100/60 meters sprint. Most race is in the daytime with good lighting, a few will run the the evening (have shoot at couple of time until 8pm outdoor, but with artificial light, not great). I worked out 3 main angles that work in capturing the moment, side panning, 45 angles where athletes run toward, and straight on with athletes running toward me (dangerous :D).

The thing is that I know the D700 will do the job, I just not sure if I use it enough to keep. I do love my Nikon set, but I find it is a shame when good equipments are not getting the use it deserve.

It is good to know the Panasonic can do the job, with some planning, just not sure if my photography skills if good enough to make the most out of it (you know what they say, good photography is from the photographer, not equipment.)

Ahhhh, dilema, dilema.

6. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Well, if its reeeeally only once or twice a year..you could rent. I havent sold my 1dmk4, but once a month goes by that I dont use it I feel ashamed. Why am I keeping it hostage?

• Like Like x 1
  7. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    Yeah that is one of the reason, why I feel like I should let it go, other photographers can make more use of these wonderful lenses.

Many thanks for your replies.