1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH3 vs Black Magic

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by JoJo, Apr 4, 2014.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    An earlier post I authored here has pointed me in the right direction BUT: Does anyone here have experience with both the GH3 and the Black Magic pocket camera? My use would be for video only. The Black Magic camera looks to good to be true......what is the catch?

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  3. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Thanks for the info.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is more work to be done in post with the Blackmagic! You have to color grade the footage. The files will be larger too meaning less footage on a card and bigger hard drives for editing. There is also a difference in sensor size. The GH uses a true m4/3 sensor where the BMPC uses a super 16mm sensor{smaller}. Here is a chart showing how much smaller super 16mm is to m4/3.
    16mm_micro_7d1.
    Of coarse when using a m4/3 sensor for HD it isn't using all of the sensor so it isn't quite as bad as this makes it look. But it does mean there is more of a crop factor. So to get a wide shot may require a shorter lens, shorter than anything available in m4/3 lenses. Also the smaller sensor would mean a deeper DOF which can be useful for some video work but will make it hard when you want the artsy shallow DOF.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    By the sounds of it, the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema is outstanding, but with its quirks:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/camcorders/black_magic_pocket_camera.shtml

Google Blackmagic Pocket Cinema reviews and you will find plenty of links.

6. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Keep in mind that Panasonic does some in camera correction (distortion etc) on their own lenses that BMPCC won't do. Focusing is supposed to be better on GH3. Less Post-work & smaller files (but on the other hand, better potential from BMPCC to clean up picture). Smaller sensor, which at least affects your choice of lenses. Don't recall seeing gripes about ISO performance though. If you ever want to take a picture, the BMPCC won't do that.

I have considered adding it as a second cam to complement my GH3 though, but my lens purchases are ruining me at this point ;)

7. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I own the Pocket camera and a GH2. I can tell you the BMPCC is a much more involved camera. Some "drawbacks":

1. Recording media consumption- for raw recording the Pocket demands Sandisk Extreme Pro cards (the 64GB runs for about $100!) and eats through them like no other. On my 64GB card I can get about 30-40 minutes in Prores, but in raw a little less than half of that recording time.

2. Smaller sensor size (I like the sensor size, but others find it constricting) focal length is roughly 3x when measured against photographic 135, or 35mm. When compared to super35 you just about double the focal length. Deeper depth of field obviously.

3. Battery life- battery life is abysmal, you'll literally see the % drain before your eyes and lament. You must have extras on hand and have the spent ones charging. Its recommended to get a power solution.

4. Post production workflow- throw everything you know about editing DSLR footage out of the window. You have to grade raw (run it through DaVinci Resolve) then edit proxies, then put a final grade on the finished product. However, Apple prores is a much easier codec to work with in comparison to h.264. It will drop right into your favorite editing software with ease and edit quite smoothly. Then you just need to grade the prores.

If you have any questions feel free to reply to this thread or PM me.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Out of curiosity, have you tried C mount lenses with the Blackmagic?

9. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I have been sifting through all the info that this forum has provided and decided to go with a Panasonic camera:
    It will be easy to edit. It will allow me to use all my m4/3 lenses. It should be economical. It seems that most of today's cameras are capable of producing great video with the differences being convenience and price. My video experience has been that you had to be prepared to pay $25k to $35k to get a decent camera and lens. Today's prosumer cameras are better than really high end pro cameras from a few years ago.

Now the question is which Panasonic camera. It looks like the GH-3 will be great for a test!

10. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    As mentioned I own the bmpcc and earlier had a GH3.
    The BMPCC is just great. Totaly awesome. But so is the GH3.

The image quality of the bmpcc is superior, its smaller but the Gh3 has a real battery and can do slowmo.
    The post isnt that demanding at all accept for hard drive space if you want to always keep all the raw material.

An option to concider is a bmpcc plus a used G6. The G6 is basically a GH3 in a lesser built body but it makes up for it with peaking. The G6 cost a third of the bmpcc and used its cheaper than a modestly priced lens.
    Then you would have both :)

I was just about to go that route since I have sold my BMCC 2.5K but now I have the GH4 on preorder.

11. speedandstyle

Another option would be the Panasonic AF100. It is m4/3 and works great. It isn't small but it does have most if not all of the "pro" features. A good used one can be had for around $3k. I work for a church and we shoot a weekly Bible study on 2 AF100s and the footage is great. Sync is easy since they have true timecode ability - something I would assume you do with your other cameras. They also have focus peaking and I can tell you that has changed me! I will never buy another camera without it{unless I plan on AF only}.

12. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    I agree that its a great camera but $3K? Ive seen them in great shape for 1200 dollars and for 3K I would get a used FS100.
    But it would be hard to justify the cost imo when a G6 has better image quality but almost the same features for just a few hundered.

13. speedandstyle

I never saw a good AF100 for that low. The two I got for work were purchased used from Adorama for just under $3k each. Both included a few extra bits like batteries and one included Barry Green's book{which has come in handy}. One had just a few hours on it and the other had 88 hours if I remember correctly. I am thinking about getting a G6 for some of the lighter duty shooting or that rare occasion when we need a 3rd angle. I have used my PENs and they have worked but the G6 would be better.

14. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    That sounds just about right. Adorama needs to make a profit so they probably aded 1K to the price. The cheapest Ive seen so far is 1500 and that included the 14-140mm.
    The G6 is really bang for the buck right now.

15. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I've ordered the G6 as a b-cam to my GH3. Lobbamobba; you have recommended the G6 in this thread.
    As I'm waiting on my G6; can you point out the good things in G6 regarding video?
    And how would you work on a two-cam setup if you had GH3 and G6 to use?

If you have some good tips I would be very grateful :smile:

16. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Its pretty much exactly like the GH3. You are going to notice that it has a more plastic build quality but they will match up perfectly and you can just do what you normally do.
    AND the G6 has peaking, in other words the edges of the subject in focus will glow in a color like red or green (don't know if you get to choose on the G6). Thats really gonna help you master manual focusing of you haven't practiced a lot on that.

So G6 for manual focus on moving subjects or in low light when its hard to nail it.
    The tuff GH3 for travel and the swedish weather :)

• Like Like x 1