GH3 vs 5D MKIII for stills?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by acuriousman, Dec 6, 2013.

1. acuriousman

acuriousman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 20, 2013
    I know the 5D3 beats the GH3 for depth of field, but what about actual still image quality? I'll be doing food photography for which I won't be making large prints, just for the web.

Has anybody here used both the GH3 and the 5D3 who can post their experiences/examples?

Thank you. :)
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Unfortunately I don't have the requisite experience but it is worthwhile checking out the Food Photography forum thread.

A real mix of cameras and lenses but there are some great shots there.
  3. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Nothing touches FF, but for food photography, the GH3 is more than good enough.
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have seen tests where the EM5 (which has the same sensor as the GH3) has more dynamic range than the Canon. Unless you want really thin DoF, the GH3 might be better for web only photos.
  5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I'm assuming this is in a studio setting where you can control the light and hence can be at base ISO. If so, the GH3 will help here as you actually have more DoF so can get more of the food in focus. The noise performance is a couple of stops worse on the GH3, but in reality, you don't see this in photos at realistic ISO and can generally be processed out if you do. I moved from a 5D2 to G5 and do a pit of product photography, even that move was easy to make and my photos didn't suffer. Moving to the GH3 would have been easier.
  6. senicphoto

senicphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 23, 2013
    I shoot food. I have 5D2, 5D3 and GH3. Although I love GH3 I still use 5D's for my regular customers.