GH3 viewfinder scratch

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by parka, Oct 1, 2013.

1. parka

parka Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I just got back from the Panasonic service centre after fixing a loose/broken hinge that was affecting the rear LCD screen.

I also had the viewfinder changed. There appeared to be more than a few scratches on the curved surface. The engineer said that part is plastic and can be scratched easily. So be careful about that part. The viewfinder, after fixing, still has that edge smearing effect -- they are still using the old parts (or should I say current parts).

2. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    My GH3 is in service right now getting the viewfinder plastic "bubble" replaced for the same reason. And we're not alone as there has been other complaints about this issue. Poor quality plastic. The part itself costs $5.12 so you can only guess how great it must be. They should have used glass on this flagship camera.

Also just had the rear screen assembly replaced as it just went dead for no apparent reason. Was working one minute then dead the next.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I have to agree. I love my GH3, but for a camera in this price range, and which Panasonic is pitching as a professional tool, a cheap plastic eyepiece is unacceptable.

4. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Agree, poor viewfinder

I recently bought a GH3 for video (used to have GH2, been shooting with OM-D for a while). While I really enjoy the camera, the viewfinder has been the biggest disappointment - in terms of image quality, the experience (edge smearing, haloing when viewing offcenter), and usability (gets dirty, oily really easy). I've cleaned it a few times, so I'll be sure to be careful now that I know it is cheap, easily scratched plastic.

Hopefully the GH4/5 includes an improved viewfinder, IBIS from the GX7, focus peaking in stills and video mode, in addition to whatever other improvements they make.

Ergonomically, I really like the camera. I don't mind the larger size given it doesn't weigh much. Really miss the IBIS though, I benefit from it all the time on the OMD.

5. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    The one thing the GH3 seems to be missing is a flat piece of glass/plastic in front of the convex "bubble" magnifier. Most other cameras have this. I believe this protects the magnifier from damage and it also makes it easier to clean as you only have to clean the flat piece.

The whole design of the GH3 EVF is strange.

6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    A bit late but I just found this now. This weekend I noticed the exact same problem, a scratch on the viewfinder.

I guess that's getting replaced at some point when I can part with my GH3 for a bit. Disappointing they went with such cheap plastic, I've never had this problem on any other camera including my other Panasonics. Good to know it's replaceable at least. What did they charge for the EVF "bubble" replacement, or was it under warranty?

7. scottliou

scottliou New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2013
    I had the same problem, and would like to share a tip with you. Use a little toothpaste(e.g. Colgate) on the plastic lens of the viewfinder. Rub gently with a fine WET (not dry) glass cloth. For three minutes, you will find the little scratches gone! Believe me, it's no magic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Hah! I was actually thinking about trying to polish it out myself before I bother sending it in. The toothpaste trick works on a lot of similar scratch issues on plastics since it's a fine enough abrasive. If it doesn't work, you were going to replace it anyway, so no real loss.

9. scottliou

scottliou New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2013
    Hi, Jiloden,
    Have you removed the scratches with toothpaste?

10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Didn't try it yet. I will probably wait until after Sunday since I will be using the GH3 this weekend, so just in case... :biggrin: