1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 video lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by greyhat, Feb 14, 2013.

1. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Hello,

I am looking to buy my first lens for my first m4/3 camera GH3. I will mainly use it for video, interviews/indoor (mostly with light equip.) and some outdoors. I also like general still photography.

As it's my first, I don't want to buy expensive. I was thinking of the 14-45, 14-42, (is there really big difference?) or (more pricey) 14-140.

If I got good deal I might also purchase a prime such as 20mm (hard to find good deals) or legacy prime such as zuiko 50mm/f1.4 (cheap finds on ebay).

Any advice on my choices and where to find good deals would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Go legacy (Zuiko, Minolta, Nikkor AI/S, Canon FD, etc.). Good legacy glass is abundant and cheap and will generally serve your purposes better. With video you want as much manual control as possible and that's what lenses were built for back then.

3. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    The Rokinon cine lenses look pretty fantastic, and appear to be an excellent deal (if not necessarily "cheap" they are certainly very cheap in contrast to what they offer).

4. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    My GH2 came with the 14-42, not bad considering its price. As as you advised, the old optics are very good for video. From native format without spending much, you have the Zuiko 45 1.8 25 1.4 PanaLeica and that I have not used, the 20 1.7 its good. So, the new SLR Magic 35 T1.4 seems a good video lens. For little money it's best optics old, who will have a look over more organic and cinematic that many optical electronics. And if you want to play in a land of giants there you have the Nokton 25 and 17, so many lens like Leica and Zeiss, but these are very expensive

For example, the Canon FD 50 1.4 its a jewel.

5. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Rnagoda, thank you. Are they available for m4/3. I don't have adopters and never used them. Unless really good deal and lens, I prefer not to use adopters.
    Also, any specific one you are recommending, I seen a good review on the 85mm used with GH3 but never knew was it with adopter or not.

6. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Boneyard, thank you. I will research the legacy more. As I never used legacy lenses, I am just worried of compatibility. You think there are any issues with using them with GH3? Do you have any specific recommendations among the ones u mentioned?

7. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Manu, thanks. the Canon FD 1.4 has not bad price but I am hesitant to use adopters. I'll look into the old optics though for prime with a panasonic 14-42 or 14-140 I guess.

8. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Also, which ones do I need adopter and which I don't? The google search is so overwhelming! :frown:

9. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Could anyone comment as to the difference between 14-42 and 14-45 as I am about to choose one to purchase while I search for the primes. :)

10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    There is another thread running 'what is the best kit lens'
    Rather than embarking on a repeat of the same conversation re 14 - 42 v 14 - 45 perhaps you could take a look at the content there (14 - 45 is considerably better)
    Sorry I dont know how to provide a link to the thread (I am on ipad)
    Regards
    Rob

11. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Actually, I would also appreciate if someone directed me to a good adopters guide. Do I need an adopter for each non-system lens?

12. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Rob, thank you. I will look it up. But my other questions here I assume are fine in a new thread, right? Thanks for the tip on the 14-45.

13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Each of the lenses you are referring to will need a separate adaptor
    Nikon, Canon, Minolta Pentax etc all have different bayonets or screw lens fittings so a dedicated adaptor for each type is needed
    You will not have any electrical connections so the use of these lenses will be completely manual
    Regards
    Rob

14. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I primarily use Canon FD primes adapted to my GH2 for video projects. There are many videos on Vimeo with different legacy glass adapted to the GH2. Understandably since it is newer there are fewer samples of the same lenses on the GH3, but as far as usability goes all can produce fantastic results. It really comes down to personal choice as to what look you tend to prefer (color cast, tendency to flare, etc.). I would do some looking around on the popular video sites and see what appeals to you and that should help narrow it down.

Unfortunately all these legacy lenses will require adapters. While not optimal I've never had an adapter impede me in any way whatsoever.

15. mangomonster

mangomonster Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    I shoot most my interviews with a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 and the 20mm pancake.

16. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Rob, thank you. Adopters, then.

17. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Boneyard, thanks for the detailed reply. So adopters are not as bad as it sounds to me, then. Good tip about looking in video sites. I'll check with GH2; there is abundance there. More and more i am liking legacy! I also noticed there are good deals on Canon older models more than pan.

18. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Mangomonster, thanks. May I ask what's your camera? And what style of interviews you do? I noticed from your signature you have 14-42, how is that one in interview work if you ever used it for that? 50mm in canon is almost 100 in m43, right? How does that appeal/appear in small areas indoors for video?

19. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Adapted lenses work great UNLESS you want wide angles. A legacy 24mm wide on m4/3 would have a similar angle of view as a 50mm does on FF, thus becoming a normal. Even then 24mm lenses were rare and expensive and so will cost more. The widest cheap legacy lenses would be the 28mms.

If you are going to use native lenses in manual focus mode find ones that are listed as being for video. They have silent or at least very quiet focus motors. And yes the motors work even when you manually focus. You had asked about the 20mm - it has a loud focus motor! This is very important if you are recording your audio through the camera. If you are not recording any audio or using an external recorder then it doesn't matter.

20. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Speedandstyle, thanks! I like your screen name btw... So this tip is very important. I am kind of getting a clearer idea on what I want and actually I do love "wide" angle. At least having the option. I don't totally understand the technology of the equivalent "yet" but if I got it right: there are 2 things first the usual equivalence in focal length (m43 20 is about 40 in non-m43) and then the angle changes too (a wide in non-m43 is only a normal in m43), is that right? I found this thread on the topic: Re: 24 and 28mm legacy lenses on m4/3: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thanks too for the 20mm info. I will be using external mic but sometimes might use internal in quick unplanned tasks. I'll keep in mind. In all cases, I couldn't find good economic deals for mew on the 20mm.