1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH3 update is out

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by aonavy, Mar 28, 2013.

1. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    Connecting to PC via Wi-Fi by inputting the computer name (the NetBIOS name for Apple Mac computers) is enabled.
    1920 x 1080, 60p[NTSC]/50p[PAL], 28Mbps mode is added in the video recording option of [MP4].
    Speed of AF, consecutive shooting performance of AFC is enhanced in use with H-PS14042 and H-PS45175.
    *Please update the firmware of the lens to its latest version.
    The monitor continues to display images during HDMI output even while [Auto LVF/Monitor OFF] is set.
    Instability of shutter interval during interval shooting is improved.
    When [Shutter AF] is OFF, operation is changed not to enlarge the image while using [Pinpoint AF] when even if shutter button is half-pressed.
    Performance of image signal processing is enhanced during video file playback.

Update Contents for DMC-GH3

2. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Got the GH3 update easily, but attempted to update Panni 100-300. Downloaded the file from the Panni site but the downloaded Mac file is an upgrade for color burst rip?

Any thoughts?

3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nothing new for 100-300

Huh?
    The update is for the GH3, and three additional updates for the three news lens.
    Nothing new for 100-300.

The updates are offered BOTH in .exe and .zip format so Windows and Mac users can open the file.
    You need to run the .exe or for Mac, unzip the downloaded file, which will create the bin file. The bin file is copied to the route directory of the SD card. The card should have at least one photo on it.

The prepared card is inserted into the camera that has a fully charged battery in it. Turn the camera on and put it in play mode.
    For lens updates, obviously the lens must also be mounted on the camera.

Hope this helps.

4. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
  5. Wasabi Bob

Where are you seeing color burst mention? What am I missing?

6. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Thanks for staying with me, Bob. Please go to that link above and download the Mac version. For me it produces a a color burst rip update. It does not say color burst on the Panni download page, but when I download the file it is color burst . Here's a screen shot of the download page.

Attached Files:

7. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    anybody have an idea about this? Anybody update their 100-300?

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    When I download the file on my Mac, it downloads FS100300V12.zip which is the correct file. Are you seeing something else when you click the Download link on the right hand side?

Where specifically are you seeing "color burst rip" - on the file name, an icon, or what? Is it possible you have the ColorBurstRip application set to open .zip or .lin files maybe, so that's what's confusing you?

9. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Very confusing, Jloden. I'm now in my office and attempting to download on my MacPro. Clicked on the right side and now i get ES100912.lin which is a SpectraColor file? So, I just started from scratch, googling the 100-300 firmware, went to the Panni updater page, got the same page for the screen shot above, clicked on the right side download and still get SpectraColor.

I'm stumped! Any chance you could email me a copy of the correct download file?

10. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    You got the right file :2thumbs:, and right extension, but your PC/Mac might try to open *.lin file with some other program (AutoCAD maybe?) making you believe you got the wrong file.

As far as I can see the problem is in wrong file association. You are safe to proceed with ES100912.lin and complete your update process.

11. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    You're getting the right file, you're just confused.

ES100912.lin is the 100-300 firmware update file that needs to go on the memory card for the firmware update.

"SpectraColor" is just whatever application *you* happen to have associated with .lin files on your Mac to open them by default. File extensions like .lin can be reused by different programs in some cases, so just because it ends in .lin doesn't mean it should always open in SpectraColor (or whatever application). The SpectraColor icon is only showing because on your Mac that's what happens to be the default application for any file ending in ".lin", not necessarily the correct one for this particular scenario.

Just copy the .lin file onto your memory card and follow the instructions for performing the firmware upgrade, it should work fine.

12. Wasabi Bob

Now it makes sense!

Yup, the .lin extension is probably used by another program and your Mac just made the wrong association. FYI, the Windows and Mac version of the firmware update is the same file. It's offered both as an EXE and ZIP file so users of both Mac and Windows can open it.

13. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Appreciate all the ideas. Note I have been using Macs for 30 years and have downloaded lots of files. Macs won't open exe files so that's out (I tried it anyway). When downloaded from the Panni page, before attempting to extract to make a bin file, my Mac version in the download folder is colorburst. when i click on it to extract, it opens color burst.

I'm ready to give up, but if one of you supportive folks would download the correct lin, extract it as a bin and email it to me, perhaps that will work

I had no problem with the GH3 update, but this has me stumped. I have tried this on a laptop and MacPro and I get the same result. I also realize this should be a simple process. When i bought my first Mac in 1984 this was rocket science, but its not now!

Thanks to all

14. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The lin file is already extracted - your browser is automatically extracting it from the .zip file for you that's why you see the .lin file instead of the .zip file. DON'T double click it, there's nothing to extract/run.

You copy the .lin file directly to the SD card in the root of the card (i.e. not inside any folders) and put the card in the camera with the 100-300 mounted. Then start the camera with a fully charged battery in it, and click the Review button, and it should start the firmware updater.

15. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Finally worked, fourth time never fails. Thanks to all for comments and suggestions.!

16. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    :thumbup:

17. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    The cynic in me wants to gripe about the fact that an update is out before the camera is even readily available. ;)

18. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    I've had my GH3 for well over 3 months now. It's on sale in shops all over Europe. In what way is it not readily available?

19. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    They live in the US - not Europe - perhaps it is not widely available in their area ?
    Rob