GH3 tutorial thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mirrorless, Feb 16, 2013.

1. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    I just bought a GH3, Panny 14-45mm, Leica 25mm, and tripod. I love this camera! I'm a total newbie, however I've been studying photography for a few months (self study) so I would have somewhat of an idea on what I'm doing.
    I have both manuals, and I've been reading them like crazy, but man...I could use a mentor. All I could find for video tutorials on this beast was the one on youtube with the horse...does anyone know where there are some video tutorials stashed on the net somewhere?
    I plan to make some tutorials myself, once I figure this fine piece of architecture out, to help people get up and running faster. Please post any useful links on this thread if you could please. Thanks!!! :2thumbs:

2. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    For those wondering, "what the @#$! did he say about a horse?"

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIMdxoGbNXU]Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Guide - Custom Settings - YouTube[/ame]

3. yoLK

yoLK New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2012
    In the same boat but with a GF2! Happy tutorial hunting :2thumbs:

4. timfrakes

timfrakes Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 31, 2012
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois USA
    Tim Frakes
    Anyone having trouble with the GH3 viewing screen shutting off while recording video? This seems to happen when the door is extended. Video keeps rolling, but Im blind when the screen shuts off. Suggestions are welcome.

5. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Is there anything getting close to the EVF sensor? That would cause the swing out screen to turn off.

Also, there is also a power-off setting for the screen, but I think it wouldn't apply when the camera is actively recording however I have not tested that.

6. timfrakes

timfrakes Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 31, 2012
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois USA
    Tim Frakes
    @seadragon, you are a genius! The mystery is solved. I'm a video guy just getting into MF3. Never suspected a sensor would shut off the screen. Makes sense from a still photo point of view. Thanks for the help.

7. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Glad that was it! You can turn off the sensor in the setup menus if you wish.

Another thing is that some people have complained about the onscreen info disappearing after 10 seconds (to prevent burn in on OLED). You'll notice that if you "trigger" the EVF sensor, the onscreen info will reappear for another 10 seconds. This allows you to get the info back without physically touching the camera.

8. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Here's an idea for audio, if you have the need...

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZNdfWDmjDU]An Audio Tutorial for Recording Quality Audio Into the Panasonic GH3 - YouTube[/ame]

9. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
  10. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    And finally, to plug into the preamp, if you want a cheaper, yet high quality wireless mic/s combination. This looks great. I did some research and found that most negative reviews on this set was due to a low volume hiss caused by the gain on the transmitter being set too high. Easy fixed with a small screwdriver.

Samson UM1 Portable Wireless Lavalier Microphone System