GH3 setting up to shot video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bigbob, Sep 23, 2013.

1. bigbob

bigbob Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    MA
    Robert Morin
    I shot a 50th Anny. Sat. both stills and video. Lots of video not sharp. I must have some of the settings wrong. I had the G5 the video was great. bigbob

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    What lens and settings did you use?

3. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    don't know what settings you used, but if you selected autofocus, that could be a problem. Use manual focus only. I shoot lots of GH3 video and get very sharp images.

• Like Like x 1
  4. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    shutter speed will make a difference too... too slow of shutter speed for frame rate and it blurs a bit

• Like Like x 1
  5. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Can you post some examples? I found GH3 too sharp on default, I tend to shoot with -5 sharpness

• Like Like x 1
  6. bigbob

bigbob Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    MA
    Robert Morin
    I used the 20mm f1.7. used the Intelligent auto. Hall was very dark. bob

7. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    What frame rate did you choose? 24p, 30, 60...

With it being dark, prob too slow a shutter. If you shot at less than 2xthe frame rate then you would get blurish video. For 24p, ideally you shot at only 1/50. Faster would negate the filmish feel, slower you mush. If you shot at 30 or 60p, then you should shot at shutter speeds in multiples of the frame, ie 60, 90, 120 or 120, 180, 240... For a given aperture if you don't have a nd filter to correct for exposure to keep the ideal shutter of 50, 60, 120 respectively. You could always go manual and close the aperature if you don't need narrow depth of field if you have enough light. Or.... If you keep to large an aperature due to poor ambient light could just be broken your seeing.

Was it shot on a tripod or handheld?

What were most of your exposure settings for the photos ie average exposure?

8. bigbob

bigbob Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    MA
    Robert Morin
    Shooting Video GH3

I am a still photographer. The video was shot on the Ia mode ( Intelligent Auto)
    For the stills I shot A mode most of the pix 3200iso at f1.7 or f2 the stills look good, I did a little work in Light room 5.2.

9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    What were your shutter speeds for stills? Sounds like you had low light levels.

Video AF is going to struggle at those light levels, especially the slow focusing Panny 20.

Unfortunately, there's no EXIF data with video so there's no way to know you're settings.

I'd hazard a guess that a lens with better AF like the PanLeica 25 might have helped a bit, but if you are shooting stills at ISO3200 your pushing the limits of the camera for video and it will take a fair amount of experience and gear (I.e., metabones speedbooster plus a fast FF lens plus an external EVF with focus peaking plus a follow focus plus a tripod with fluid head or monopod etc...) to pull it off. In better light I bet iA could have pulled it off fine.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Like for images ie sf, large, small etc and raw vs jpg. For video, you need to select a format for shooting, can you check with codec you used? Was it 24p, 30p, 30i, 60p, 60i and mov etc.

That said, if you shot at 1.7 iso 3200 what shutter was selected by the gh3 did you get? Sounds like it was probably less then 1/30th and way be even 1/15th or slower. If so, that's the reason for the video issue ----toooo slow of a shutter speed.

For video, it's important to shoot in either s mod or fully manual.

• Like Like x 1
  11. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    the shutter speed should be double your frame rate you need to put it in manual open up the aperture for the dark and adjust iso accordingly

Im thinking your focus was off, autofocus shouldn't be used in low light