1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 Screen loosening

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by 4343, Sep 16, 2013.

1. 4343

4343 New to Mu-43

Sep 15, 2013
    Anyone else has problem with their GH3 screen becoming loose at the hinge?

Any easy fixes, or send to Panasonic and hope for quick turnaround?!

Thanks!

2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
  3. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Correction, Panasonic will fix any GH3 with screen loosening regardless of warranty.

4. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Is there s service bulletin on this issue? Reason I ask is that my GH3 rear screen was just replaced under warranty as it died suddenly. I'm hoping the technician would have applied any fixes/mods/improvements while installing the new screen. The camera is in shipment back to me as I write this.

5. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I'm not sure if there is. It's not a common problem loose screens did make it out with some early models. My preproduction GH3 had the issue but the model that replaced my pre release unit has been good even after thousands of frames and hours of video, in the rain and desert.

6. dphotog

dphotog Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Ive never gone to a dealer before how does this process work i sent my gh3 once before to texas for a month...do they do the repairs there? I live in LA had no idea about this. I need my screen retightened along with a loose hotshoe and I believe the coating on my viewfinder is coming off...

7. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

The pro dealers will send the camera in for you, but one thing to consider is how long it may be before its shipped out? The turn around time from TX is pretty good. Usually shipped back within 2 or three days from when it was delivered.

8. dphotog

dphotog Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Haha that sounds way too optimistic. I have sent my camera in before to TX facility the turn around wasnt even close to that maybe 2-3 weeks almost a month. I have a loose screen and the coating is coming off no mention my hotshoe is loose so using a flash or trigger wont work.

Im still far from my one year warranty and plan on sending it in again via myself cause it sounds like im not doing myself any favors by having a dealer turn it in unless they got priority but after speaking with the dealer they do the same thing and send it to TX.

Im really hoping for a quick turn around. Id like to have it before the holidays like Christmas. Im reading many horror stories about panasonics repair and turnarounds one person who waited more than a year... so yes I am nervous about sending Panasonic my camera again for all the things I listed above.

Thanks

9. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    I gotta say... I'm quite disappointed in these problems that are starting to surface on the GH3. Loose hotshoes, loose hinges, poor quality EVF optics (the PLASTIC magnifier bubble is crap) and in my case rear screen went dead out of the blue. I really like the camera, but I also wonder about the quality of the parts and assembly.

10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Human Nature Pervails

I can certainly understand how you might feel this way, but you have to put things into their proper perspective. Ride by your local car dealer any morning and check out how many people are there to have the cars repaired. 50-100 customers per day might suggest that the brand's workmanship is poor, yet that's not the case. Those repairs only represent a very small percentage of the total sales.

Public forums such as this one serve as a means for people to vent their frustration when a situation does not meet their expectations. They often do so to hopefully get the manufacturers attention, which does happen thanks to social media. Unfortunately, these "situations" are fueled by human nature which favors sharing negative incidents over positive and often the customer does not tell the entire story. Most people don't consider that round-trip "ground shipping" adds 1 work week to the total turnaround time. From the service center's standpoint, 3 weeks is actually 2 weeks.

I've had to send a few cameras to the facility in TX. The turn around time was typically about two weeks. I considered the time acceptable and did not share the experience. It seems that negative stories increase the enthusiasm to share.

• Like Like x 1
  11. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I sent my GH3 to Panasonic to have the loose LCD fixed on 10/2. The repair was completed on 10/11 and the camera was shipped back to me. The scheduled delivery from FedEx is this Friday, 10/18. This is a lot faster than I expected it would be. I will post an update after I receive it.

Mike

12. dphotog

dphotog Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    That sounds awesome man Im sending in mine later after I have a big break inbetween projects just incase. It will still fall under the warranty and im glad to see Panasonic maybe upping their game due to all the posts that were recently being spammed among forums.