GH3 Preview up at DPR

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by meyerweb, Sep 17, 2012.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Whilst the review say sit is there, the resolution figures say otherwise with the max X dimension being 4608 in all aspect ratios.

3. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    You're right. Not the first time DPR has made that mistake (see their G5 Preview). You'd think they'd have learned by now.

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Strange that DPR made such a point of multi-aspect (one of the first things they mention) when even the official Panasonic specs list max image width as 4608px for all ratios...

5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Also very little fanfare on sensor performance (no wild claims about how much better it is than anything that has come before it) or whether it has the touchpad control of the G5 (I find this a huge plus for this camera).

If the sensor performance is the same or similar to the G5, I'm not interested in this body. I'll either get a second G5 or try an OM-D for my second camera.

The 35-100 on the other hand... less than 10cm and only 20% heavier than the 12-35... that makes it less than half the weight and less than half the volume of a 70-200f4 (let alone f2.8!) I want one now!

6. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Not enough information in that preview to help me decide whether I want one or not. While the enhanced control layout looks very nice, I'm OK with the GH2 layout. I don't think the extra size will be an issue (in spite of DPR's comparisons to the Sony SLT, the lack of a mirror box really makes the overall volume quite a bit less). OTOH, I don't really need a weather proofed body, and I'm willing to trade the more rugged construction of the 3 for the lighter weight of the 2 (have to wait and see just how much heavier it really feels).

1 fps faster drive rate is nice, but the important questions (for me) aren't answered: How much better, really, is the EVF? Is C-AF any better? Are card writes faster (they really need to be MUCH faster)? Is the rear screen usable in bright sunlight? How much better is image quality?

For the price, size and weight trade off the GH3 will have to offer real advances in multiple performance areas to make me consider it, I'm afraid, especially since it appears to lose one of my favorite features, the multi-aspect sensor.

7. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    'The newly developed 16.05 effective megapixels Live MOS sensor '

DMC-GH3, H-HS35100 | Press Release | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Interested in - 'the speed excels by far than the high-end DSLRs with Phase difference AF with the advanced Contrast AF system in DMC-GH3'

8. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    It can write up to 80mbps [~100MB/s] files to the SD card, so if you have a fast SD card, you should be well covered.

9. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The layout on this thing is crazy. Makes my E-M5 feel poor on customization.

And knowing Panny, their UI will be easy peasy.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If this had come out before the OMD, I would have tried it. The RX100 has become my "carry around" camera, so I needed larger cam for flash and with more direct control. The OMD is fitting nicely, but this looks gorgeous.

They're insane if they drop mutli-aspect. Quite the reverse -- they should use that sensor in every Panny camera. Can you imagine how many more G5s they'd sell if it was multi-aspect? Vitaly might help them out there by hacking the G5, though.

11. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Yes, the G5s sensor was "new" but it is effectively the same sensor as in the GH2. And if it is better than the G5 sensor, is it 0.1, 0.5, 1, 2 or some other number EV better than the G5 sensor. My camera is a method of getting RAW data to Lightroom. If the RAW data is no better from the GH3, I might just as well save £500-£600+, get another G5 and put the money towards the 35-100 2.8...

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Is that in the published specs? I couldn't find it. :confused:

13. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Their making a big deal about the 80mbps recording rate. As to it's validity, who knows? But I dare say it's write performance would be stellar.

14. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  15. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    One interesting note is the larger capacity battery looks to have paid dividends in battery life. Panasonic is claiming 500-540 shots on a battery now, which is a huge jump from 320-350 on previous models.

I still want to see reviews, sample images, and more data on the new sensor, but I see lots to like in the new GH3 so far.

16. Bryan Mordt

Bryan Mordt New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2012
    I am new to Panasomic's offerings, can someone explain the benefit of the multi-aspect sensor? I see this mentioned quite a bit and was wondering what the interest was.

17. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    On a regular sensor when you choose a different aspect ratio it just crops off the top or sides of the frame to change the aspect. Consequently you lose a few MP in the process.

Multi-aspect sensors use the usually wasted area of the sensor to change the size of the frame within the sensors area to maintain closer to XX amount of MP [except at 1:1 ratio].

• Like Like x 1
  18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I wonder if still writes would be the same as video? I'm also very interested in buffer depth. We'll see what develops in real life when actual cameras are available for testing.

19. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, not really "usually" wasted area. The multi-aspect sensors on the GH1 and GH2 are quite bit wider than standard 4/3 spec sensors. That means that instead of just cropping the top and bottom to get 3:2 or 16:9 ratio, then also extend the image area to the side. The diagonal of the frame remains the same, taking full advantage of the image circle. When you crop a normal 4/3 sensor to get to 3:2 or 16:9, the diagonal of the frame shrinks as you throw away the top and bottom of the sensor. There's a good graphic here:

Panasonic DMC-GH2 Review: Digital Photography Review

Mouse over the gray bar with the different aspect ratios at the bottom of the image and you can see how the image area of the sensor changes for each ratio.

A different graphic here:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Review: Digital Photography Review

There are two advantages to the multi-aspect sensor. One, you maintain full resolution at all aspect ratios (except square). Cropping a regular sensor throws pixels away. Two, the field of view at 3:2 and 16:9 is actually wider than at 4:3. It makes your wide angle lenses even wider.

20. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    I think the "wasted area" as I put it, is essentially a buffer for IBIS, OIS, etc so the image doesn't get clipped off the frame during stabilising. But yea, they all put a couple of MP spare up their sleeve.