GH3 or OM-D

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Splitprism, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Splitprism

Splitprism Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2013
    Angra, Brazil
    I already own and constantly use the Panasonic G3 with three lenses and am thoroughly enjoying this little camera, however, I'm sitting here drooling over some of the equipment that this M43 form throws out.

Yesterday I was intent on buying the Olympus OM-D, the day before I was sure it was the Lumix G5 and another lens, the day before I was adamant that I needed a GH3 body.

So today, after wasting two hours looking at equipment I found Amazon UK are offering the GH3 with Lumix 12-35 X Vario lens, along with the ability to claim a new battery grip, for the astonishing price of 1500 GBP, so obviously, I'm in turmoil.

I love the output of the OM-D, some of the images on here are a stunning accolade to it's ability to perform at the highest level, and I'm not really too interested yet in video.

The plus side for the GH3 is its form, slightly larger than the G3 and much more functionality but at a cost, I've now discounted the G5 as too small a step up from what I already use.

I'm being driven towards the GH3 deal for the value it represents as a whole, but still can't get my mind off the OM-D.

Should I buy a new car instead? :eek:
  2. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    That GH3 and 12-35mm converts to $2,306 US. At B&H you can get the same for $2,388 before shipping and tax. So, that Amazon deal with battery grip (free?) is a decent but not ground-breaking deal.

OM-D takes great photos, has the 5-axis stablization but ergonomics/handling are a concern.

GH3 has great handling , very good stills and exceptional video (which you may never use).

If you are OK with the handling of the OM-D, maybe go that route. Olympus has refurbs for $750!
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Just a quick comment: Not everyone has problems with ergonomics and handling on the OM-D. I don't, for example. So the strongest advice I can offer is go and handle each to see if this is an issue for you.
  4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    I think you will be happy with either. I have and enjoy both tremendously. I give ergonomics edge to the GH3 but only slightly and size edge to OMD but only slightly. Image quality and dynamic range is fantastic on both.
  5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I echo Mellow's comments. The OM-D is a fantastic stills camera.
  6. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Echo the above comments - both excellent cameras capable of stunning results.
    If video is not "your thing" then the decision is harder - go and try the handling as they are very very different.
  7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I love the output of the OM-D but I hate its ergonomics. I wear glasses and I use my left eye to look into the EVF and I constantly smear the right half of my glasses with my thumb when trying to turn the rear dial on the OM-D.

However, I think that for stills the OM-D is better than the GH3 if only because of its stunning IBIS which works with every lens.
  8. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Don't forget that prices are inclusive of VAT.

The deal is, in fact, pretty great.
  9. mring1

mring1 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    John Taska
    Can't speak to the Pany...

but I love my OM-D. I agree with the poster above in that it's a very idiosyncratic camera from an ergonomic standpoint. Before I bought mine, I played with it (without any grip additions) for awhile. I worked for me. I subsequently added the RRS grip which makes it perfect...for me. YMMV. If the camera "connects" with you, you'll do better with it. I can't quantify that connection, but you'll know it when you feel it.

The other thing to consider is the fundamental difference in priorities for the two cameras. Olympus gear is still-photo centric and the Pany gear is video-centric. So, think thru what you want to do with your camera.

Horses for courses, as they say.
  10. Splitprism

Splitprism Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2013
    Angra, Brazil
    Hi everyone and thanks for the replies, the more I look at the GH3 deal the better it seems, you do need to contact Panasonic UK and verify your purchase from a registered dealer before they send out the free battery grip, but the clincher for me is the lens body combination, they are literally selling 1800GBP worth of camera and lens kit for 1500GBP and throwing in a 200GBP battery grip for free.

More research required before I finally decide but so far I'm erring towards the GH3.

Thanks for the input.
  11. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    I never used any Panasonic extensively but I have tried them in-store here in Tokyo... I would say if you love the ergonomics of the G3 there's a good chance you will hate the ergonomics of the OM-D.

That being said, I chose the OM-D because I want a small body, not a body almost similar to an entry level DSLR.

If you got a chance, I would suggest to get a feel of both camera first. Goodluck
  12. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Olympus will be doing a promotion with the OMD from July 1 where you can claim the 2 piece grip for free. The OMD currently sells for around 800 GBP so that makes it a great buy, I'm getting one.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to my GH3.

Sent from my ME301T using Mu-43 mobile app
  13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'll join the party. :smile: With one qualification that's important for me, I *really* like the size of the EM-5 and how it handles - not to mention, the image quality is terrific (stills; have never used video). And although the Oly menus drove me crazy for a couple of weeks, once I'd really figured them out and figured out how I wanted them set up, I had a camera that really works the way I want it to.

The only qualification, well maybe 1 1/2 qualifications, are: (1) it didn't work for me until I attached the HLD-6 grip (horizontal portion only) and (1.5) because of the weather-sealing, the buttons are definitely a bit squishy...I accept that as a trade-off for weather resistance. :thumbup:

For me, although the GH3 is a superb camera, it's just a little more of a handful than I want. I wish Panasonic had kept the form factor of the GH2 when they updated that line. :frown:
  14. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    I would disagree with this. Sure, the GH3 is apparently better at video (I have not taken a single video with mine), but I don't see any indication that Panasonic cameras are video-centric. That would imply there was some kind of trade off, which there isn't.
  15. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I agree, the stills performance of pany cameras is excellent and in no way comprised by the video.
    It seems because pany have put such an effort into great video the perception is they are more video biased which isn't the case.

Sent from my ME301T using Mu-43 mobile app