1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 or G7

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DynaSport, Jul 21, 2015.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I am very bummed. I am on vacation at the beach and have been taking lots of photos with my G5. I have tried to be very careful and keep the camera dry and sand at bay. Then today, my G5 went a bit nuts. It is acting like I am changing settings, but I am not. I have tried everything I can think of to fix the problem with no success. I really love my G5 and was not planning on buying another camera right now. But I have to have a camera. I am thinking about the new G7, but I am also considering a GH3. I think I would like the weather sealing of the GH3 for my trips to the beach and such. But I like the G form factor. The GH3 is actually a bit cheaper right now at B&H. In use, which one would you guys recommend?

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    GH3, IMVHO a great camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    For my hands, GH3 had some of the best ergonomics of any camera I have handled in years. I really wanted to buy one, but sadly, the EVF was blurry in the corners for me. Other have reported this as well, but for some its fine. I would recommend handling one first and seeing if you like the EVF.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I totally agree that handling both would be best. Since I have never seen either one in a store, that is a bit hard.

5. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    A second hand G5 or G6?

Anne take your time to think......

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I just sold 2 GH3 bodies and replaced them with one G7 (I have a GH4). The GH3 is a very good camera, I could work with the EVF but is was not the best one around. I used a "workaround" for when I couldn't see fine detail for focus, I switched to manual focus (actually had the "back button" AF/AE set to do one SAF autofocus operation, lock focus and switch to MF automatically. MF+ASSIST "kicked in" as I touched the focus ring on the lens and I could "nail focus" fairly quickly that way.

Autofocus on the GH3 is very good, but "weather sealing" requires certain weather sealed lenses and most of those will tend to be expensive. One inexpensive option would be the Olympus m.Zuiko 12-50mm lens.

However...My choice would be that new G7, it is one AMAZING camera. The EVF is very much like that on the GH4 and it's going to be very much all you liked with the G5 and MORE! The UHD 4K video (if your computer and software can handle that...) renders out to some of the most beautiful 1080p you'll see. It also does 1080p nicely.

Weather sealing can be done with a good ziplock bag, taking it out only to shoot with, or you can cut two holes in the bag. One for the lens and one for the viewfinder eyepiece (or skip that hole and use the LCD). Use a hood on the lens and rubber band the ziplock bag vinyl to the hood. If you have a UV filter on the lens that will offer the lens surface protection.

The G7 is priced at $797 at B&H and the "kit" lens it comes with is getting good reviews from buyers. I have other m43 lenses but so far had done most of my testing with the "kit" lens and it seems quite good.

My $0.02 worth...Probably worth what you just paid for it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Hey, can I ask how did you find the egronomics of the g7 against the gh3/4?

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    If you decide on the GH3, buy from Amazon. If the EVF is a problem, you can always send it back.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    They are each somewhat different in ergonomics and handling. I loved the size and weight of the GH2. Switched over from Canon due to weight of Canon glass, I was 74 when I made that change and at the end of a few hours of "lugging" a bag with a body and 3 lenses, I "felt" it.

Canon "L" glass tends to be heavy. So the GH2 and a few lenses were a very welcome change (and I lost nothing in sharpness going to m4/3 glass).

Then came the GH3. Bigger and heavier but with improved still quality and outstanding video. I adapted and "put up" with it, ergonomics were basically very good. GH4 is essentially same body but with MUCH better EVF.

With the G7, most of what appealed to me with the GH2 is back. Nice lightweight feel, EVF very similar to the GH4 and outstanding video. Stills IQ also looks very good.

I'd go with the G7 and if ergonomics isn't perfect for you...Adapt to it. But if you know you will much prefer the ergonomics of the GH3, then save up for a GH4, price is now dropped $200 at many retailers, it will drop a bit further for Holiday season sales and then jump back up no later than New Years day.

I have both a G7 and a GH4 at present and like them both very much. I get along with the ergonomics of both equally well.

10. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Well, the G5 has fixed itself and so I won't be buying either one at present. Thanks guys.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    G5, a real fixer

12. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Glad you got it sorted. I could have lost my G5 recently. I went to an event where I was jogging / walking with a large group of people for about 4 miles. The camera was around my neck, and for the most part I supported it in my hand. At one point I put the camera down on a table and when I picked it back up, the strap had become detached from one side :eek-31:

13. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Well, the G5 is messed up again. The magic repair didn't last. I'm back to looking at cameras.

14. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I figured there was a good chance that would happen again.

I've had more opportunity to handle the G7 I ordered about two weeks ago. I'm more and more pleased with it as time goes by. I have a GH4 and the G7 seems to be a good "second" camera at half the price. I ordered 3 of those Watson batteries B&H offers at $19.95 each and they seem to be doing well (I much distrust most 3rd party batteries).

I'd pretty much "write off" the G5, you really can't count on it.

One more "bit" of advice: Find something you can live with as a "backup" camera or even a used m4/3 body like a couple of Lumix GX7's listed for sale on this site's "Buy & Sell" forum. Amazon lists 3 used G6's from $419 to $459, all claiming to be "like new".

A "backup" camera has "saved my bacon" a few times including a wedding in my studio business days.

Good luck
    \

• Like Like x 1
  15. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I have an old E-PM1 that I dug out of the closet. But I don't really care for it much, so I'll likely be buying something else fairly soon. I sold off some decent Canon gear when I realized I hadn't used it for a long time after buying the G5. Kind of wish I still had it now. But really, selling it was the right thing to do. SLRs have some advantages, but overall I have grown to prefer m43.