'GH3 "Much Better" Than The OMD E-M5?'

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Aug 31, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    (FT5) GH3 has fastest AF of the world. It is like a pro DSLR. Best hybrid cam ever (Source report) | 43 Rumors

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Oh man, I'm really amped for the GH3 now, it looks like it's pretty much everything I was most interested in seeing in an update from Panasonic.

I was going to wait a year to buy a camera but my G3 just bit the dust in an accident, and it seems pointless to buy another used camera to replace it just to wait a a year or less to buy a GH3 on the secondary market. I might just put in a GH3 pre-order despite how much I generally hate buying brand new camera bodies!

3. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    My first mirrorless ...

Drooling now :) I am definitely buying it as soon as it's out without even anyone reviewing it. Fine with heavier, looks like DSLR and such ... meanwhile, unfortunatly need buy G5 for Europe trip in November.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    GH3 mania will soon drown out the OMD fever that has gripped the forum for so long.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why would I want it then? Why not to pick up Pentax K5 with proven weather sealing? I am also sure Panny is gonna price it around USD 1500 tag and It will be difficult for them. They did this price bungle with GX1 and everyone saw the result . MFT is all about size and portabiity .SOme people like DSLR style bodies but then I would take proper DSLR over Panny GH3
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 4
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Better?.... without a doubt....."Much" better....that will depend on personal preferences.... i doubt it will be a quantum leap ahead of the current models. Biggest advances will be on the video side... after all thats what the camera was designed for.

At the end of the day its just another camera... it wont make you a better photographer

K

• Like Like x 6
  7. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    yes there are some logic to it ... but smaller body and video capability

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exactly ..smaller body and better video capability but not a 7D or D7000 like monster .That defeats the purpose of MFT idea.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  9. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I hope they've taken a similar approach to olympus, and offered grips for those who want them. I for one just want the most capable camera possible in a rangefinder-shaped body. There are reasons to get a m43 over a DSLR besides size, but none that are terribly persuasive.

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Sounds like the goal is for the video capabilities to make the GH3 a preference over a semi-pro DSLR. No compromises on stills (except action, I suppose) and video will crush whatever Nikon, Canon, et al have to offer.

Doesn't seem to be necessarily targeting the E-M5 crowd, though certainly some will migrate toward "the next best thing". It almost seems like Panasonic might be offering the G5 which does much of what the E-M5 can do but at a bargain price and then the GH3 for those that want top end DSLR-style option. The models may co-exist somewhat harmoniously.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Perhaps the answer is as simple as a director competitor to the OMD E-M5...

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Alright then..
    How about saying it's a "tweener" between Four Thirds & Micro Four Thirds ....

• Like Like x 1
  13. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Size isn't the only factor that's important.

Personally, I'd love to have a larger body with better ergonomics and more physical controls. That's a perfect complement to my GX1 when size is the determining factor. The important part is I can use all the same lenses between the two and have the option of a DSLR style body or a small rangefinder-esque camera with great IQ. There's most definitely room for a larger camera body in the m4/3 universe for those that want one; if there wasn't, you wouldn't see so many reviews saying 'it's a great camera, but it's too small for my hands' or so many people raving about the OM-D's grip add-on :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  14. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think you make a good point jloden. If you want a DSLR-style m4/3s camera you may in fact appreciate a bigger form factor. You'll still have the somewhat similar but smaller option with the G series and the smaller and different GX or GF.

The choices from Olympus are certainly not as diverse.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I agree wholeheartedly I always feel that there is a compromise somewhere with regard to the size of the body and would very much welcome the GH3 being a little bigger and having a much more comfortable grip.
    The benefit of M43 is not diminished completely by the body size going up because one of the more important benefits or me is the much smaller size of lenses - look at the Panasonic 100 - 300 compared to the Nikon 70 - 300 VR which despite its comparative bulk and size still doesn't have the same focal range / reach !

When I pick up a D3100 or D5100 I just feel that I am more comfortable and that the grip etc is more tactile and wish that there were M43s available that got a bit nearer to that level of comfort and security (as an option on one model only not for the whole or a large proportion of the range)
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  16. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Also an excellent point. This is a huge factor... as I've said in previous threads it's reduced overall system size where the advantage is most obvious (especially if you're carrying it all day!), not just in smaller camera bodies.

17. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    That specs sheet is awesome, and considering that focus peeking is really true, it'll have a hell of appealing.

18. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Sounds like a wonderful camera and should advance the breed another step or two forward. Given that they've chosen to go the bigger/heavier route, it won't be for me, but whatever m43 body someday lures me to upgrade will no doubt be better because of the advances in the GH3.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  19. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I appreciate Panasonic's upmarket ambitions, but I just bought a Sony A65 with 16-50 f2.8 for less than the price of a 12-35mm alone. Is the GH3 really going to be a better value than an A77 kit or even the pending D600? They're up against some serious competition. How far will pro video get them?

20. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    I've noticed you had or you have GH2, so how do you like A65 body size/handling and video ability in comparison?