1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 mov seamless sequential files

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by jdswsg, Jul 27, 2013.

1. jdswsg

jdswsg New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2013
    When I shoot AVCHD with my GH3 I get seamless sequential files that Final Cut Pro X correctly imports as a single file with no interruptions in video or audio.

But when I shoot MOV 50 Mbps at 60 fps the MOV files have a 1/2 second gap between each file, where I lose video and audio. Final Cut Pro X does not automatically merge the MOV files and when I manually connect the MOV files in FCPX I still get the 1/2 second interruption in video and audio.

Any suggestions?

2. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Strange, I only shoot MOV and I dont loose as much as a frame :confused:

3. jdswsg

jdswsg New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2013
    Good to hear this. I've found no other postings online about this problem so it must be something I'm doing wrong.

Does Final Cut Pro X automatically merge your MOV sequential files when you import them, so that it comes in ad a single file?

What kind/speed SDXC or SDHC card do you use? Which time code setting? Any other tips?

4. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Dont know about FCP, I use Premiere at the moment.

The only card Ive used with my GH3 is a class 10, 90mb/sek. But I can try a clas 4 and se what happens.

5. jdswsg

jdswsg New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks for this info. I've been using a Lexar 128 GB 400x 60 MBs class 10 UH-I card. I've also tried a 45 MBs card. I'll see if a 90 MBs csrd would solve this.

6. jdswsg

jdswsg New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2013
    Just in case anyone else is having this problem, here's more information I found out: I tried a 95 mbps 16gb SanDisk Extreme Pro to see if a faster card (faster than my 60 mbps 128 gb card) would help with the spanning problem on my GH3. It didn't.

So I'm still having problems when I import MOV 50 mbps IPB files from my GH3. The MOV files do not import as a single, seamless file, the way my AVCHD videos do. And when the MOV files do import I don't get audio with the MOVs. After reading online about this I came across someone who suggested dragging/dropping the MOV files onto my FCPX timeline, rather than importing them in the usual way. This turns out to be a usable workaround, because once the MOV file lands on the timeline FCPX automatically loads the MOV file in the event browser, too. And the audio is retained.

I still get an audio jump between my MOV files when I play them back on the timeline, but I found that if I create a compound file in the event browser, the new compound file will play back without an audio jump.

Seems like an odd way for things to work, so my guess is I'm still doing something wrong with my MOV video settings in the GH3, but at least this seems to work.

Anyone else have experience with this?

7. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Sounds to me like a FCP problem, you have this issue, I dont (premiere).
    If someone else is reading this and have either Premiere or FCP it would be interesting to hear, if one or two more people experience the same issue with FCP but not with Premiere we know that it is FCP-problem.