GH3 moire

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by loganzillmer, Dec 31, 2012.

1. loganzillmer

loganzillmer New to Mu-43

Dec 29, 2012
    Hi, I'm new to this thread and am currently deciding between the GH3 and the 5D Mark III. My main concern is video (I currently own a Canon 60D. If I get the GH3, I will probably keep the 60D for photo), I know the GH3 does 'broadcast' quality video, but I've heard it's got bad moire issues (being a Sony sensor?). Can anyone comment on this? Please be as unbiased as possible (I realize I'm posting in a m4/3 forum). Thanks!

Btw, I've watched just about every review and sample video available and read nearly every review.

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    To be fair the Moire is not apparently caused by the sensor being a Sony example but because the Sensor on the GH3 has been fitted with a weak Anti - Aliasing Filter
    Ive done some family video in 720p and havent had any issues but then again im not looking for Moire and it may not be apparent untill you use the higher frame/ bit rate and full HD settings perhaps ??
    I would think that the GH3 would be nearly as good if not as good or even slightly better than the 60D for photos ? So the GH3 might in any case cover both bases
    Regards
    Rob

3. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    Have not had any moiré issues in normal shooting conditions with my video.

Yes, if you slap very sharp Lumix glass on, crank up the sharpening, and point the camera at bricks, you'll get some moiré, but the issue has been completely overblown by blogs and forums.

The simple matter is: under the same conditions the GH3 will have a tiny bit more moiré than the GH2, but it's completely manageable and not that big of a deal.