1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 manual aperture "micky"

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lew, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Is there a way to increase the amount of aperture change per dial click in manual mode? It takes so long to dial in aperture changes in M or A mode that I've lost an number of shots dragging my finger over the dial.

2. Patrick.K

Patrick.K New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2013
    Germany
    Well, according to your question, in my opinion you're doing something "wrong". If you are missing shots, MANUAL mode might not be the mode to use in such situations. M-mode is rather for the situations where you have enough time and where you need special parameters.

If you're shooting in situations, where you must be ready for shots immediately, try P-mode (perhaps with some edited options like WB, NR, etc.) or even full automatic mode!

Changing the aperture manually takes from minimum to maximum like three seconds. If this is too long, you really should change the mode. ;-)

3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I could not find anything in the manual about changing the change per click function of the wheels.

4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    You can change whether it increments by 1/3 or 1/2 stop that is only way I can think of, but I don't have the camera with me to check where.

Paul

Sent from my ME301T using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Patrick.K

Patrick.K New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2013
    Germany
    These 1/3 and 1/2 steps are meant for the EV and will not apply for the manual apperture value. EDIT: :dash2: OK, bullsh. ^^ Forget that! I was somewhere else with my thoughts. :biggrin:

But I still don't get it. How long does it take, when you change the apperture value, Lew?? It takes about three seconds to switch from minimum to maximum apperture. And that's something which won't happen very often.

6. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    I appreciate your advice, but I'm still hoping for an answer to my question!

7. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    If you shoot landscapes in failing light with clouds moving overhead and you need to isolate a point of focus at one moment and then see something else where you want as much focus as possible, you'll be changing aperture from shot to shot and often.

8. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I did answer your question, "No".

9. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    I knew that! My remarks were intended for Patrick.K

10. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    While being able to customize every aspect of a camera would be nice, it is literally two quick swipes of my thumb to go from 2.8 -> 8.0 (or vice versa). It takes under a second so I am not sure how much value full stop adjustments would be.

11. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Obviously, it'd be of value to me, perhaps not to you.

12. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Not trying to offend just pointing out that its unlikely for a camera to have such a feature when the gains would be minimal at best. Are you using the finger or thumb wheel for adjustment, maybe one or the other would be faster for you?

13. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm not offended. This is the internet after all, and we all know there's way more advice and suggestion than there is simple fact. I've tried both dials on different occasions. A design issue is the difference in diameter between a typical, lens mounted aperture ring and the dials on the GH3.

14. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    The only way around it (and I am not sure it would be any faster) would be to set up C1 and C2 identical except aperture settings. This would be one click to get your different aperture.

15. Patrick.K

Patrick.K New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2013
    Germany
    But one click more, if the saved aperture is not the needed.

I think this is a very "personal" issue and needs a personal solution. :D

Sent via Tapatalk

16. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The C1 & C2 settings do not save shutter and aperture unless they are on different modes as well. Eg, if they are both on M, any exposure changes you make in M mode will be reflected in the C settings. Quite the pain since my Canon 7D does save the aperture/shutter, and it works very well too.

17. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew

Not perfectly clear what you mean but I am pretty sure (not 100% though) if you save a custom setting while in Aperture priority mode then it will save your aperture setting. So you would setup what you want in A mode with wide open aperture, then save to C1, then simply adjust aperture to say F8 without changing anything else and save to C2. Now when you switch between C1 and C2 everything would stay the same except aperture.

Again I am not sure adjusting the mode dial one click is any faster or easier than turning the thumb/finger wheel a couple times but it is the only "workaround" I can see.

18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    It doesn't work. Aperture and shutter values are NOT saved.

I've tried it, M mode, A mode, it doesn't work that way.

19. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Yep, I stand corrected. That is how my OM-D worked and I guess I haven't used the C settings enough to notice the aperture didn't change.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

20. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks everyone. It does seem to me that the amount of aperture change per click could be programmable. Maybe next bios release.