1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH3 iDynamic & i Resolution

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lew, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Just getting my head around all this stuff. Very impressed so far. I don't really understand this i... idea. How can resolution and or dynamic be improved or changed over what I'll get from shooting 16m raw only. I don't want any processing in camera that I can do optionally in post.

2. Balinus

Balinus New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2013
    As far as I know, it won't affect your RAW images, only the jpg produced by the camera.

3. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    That's what makes sense. Is there a technical reference that makes all this clear?

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    GH3 iDynamic & i Resolution

I have never seen an explanation of either from Panasonic

5. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    iDynamic expands the dynamic range. You'll notice it most in high contrast situations. iResolution increases edge sharpness. You'll notice it most in low contrast situations.

For instance if I want to keep some detail in the shadows but I don't want my highlights blown out I'll use iDynamic. If its a cloudy day and I want a bit more pop I'll use iResolution.

Keep in mind that Panasonic is pretty conservative in their processing so you'll need to experiment with the settings. I keep them all on my custom Quick Menu.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    gsciorio that is the best most clear explantion I have ever seen of those functions.

By the way I check your web site from time to time to admire your work. It's obvious that these are good cameras in the hands of an excellent photographer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks. Do they both affect RAW files? I can see that I'd want the first, dynamic range, since you can't expand it in post processing, whereas the second, sharpness, is something I always want to control in post processing, regardless of shooting conditions.

8. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    ... and is this documented anywhere? I wouldn't mind reading about it, if I could.

9. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    GH3 iDynamic and iResolution

I just ran some tests on this as I was interested also.
    iDynamic Standard reduces the exposure by 1/3 stop from that given normally. With RAW files that appears to be all that happens. Any further processing has to be carried out post capture as you would expect. With JPG files the camera also lifts the darker tones for a final result providing better detail in both highlights and dark tones than would be obtained without iDynamic.
    As for iResolution Standard, on the test shots which I used I could not convince myself that it had any visible effect with RAW or JPG files.

10. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thanks! I'm loving the positive feedback I've been getting. Makes all the work worth it. :smile:

I gotta hand it to Panasonic. They reached out to me back in August and have been super supportive of my efforts. I've seen things that would blow your mind lemme tell ya. :biggrin: The biggest thing I can say is that they are 1000% committed to their Lumix G system.

Keep an eye out for some big announcements soon.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Hey Lew,

You can download the advanced manual in PDF and keep it with you on your smart phone or tablet. Here's a link to the SCBP resource page Resources | Small Camera BIG Picture

12. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I think they do (like the multi aspect ratios do) but I'm going to guess and say since Adobe changes the baseline color and exposure settings to the RAW file in Lightroom it probably makes it hard to see the effect of iDynamic and iResolution.

Best bet is to test, test, test. I'm doing the same this weekend.