GH3 headphone question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JoJo, May 2, 2015.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I use a small audio mixer to supply audio to my GH3. The camera audio is set to level 1 to avoid using the camera's preamp. I can't seem to monitor the audio though the camera's headphone jack. When I plug my headphones into the mixer's headphone jack, I get strong audio. I have tried various settings in the camera with no success. When I play back the video, the audio is there but I still would rather monitor it during the shoot.

Am I missing a setting? Suggestions?

2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Hi, JoJo!

On the SETUP menu (wrench icon with no other symbol, Page 2, you'll find the HEADPHONE VOLUME. I have mine set kind of high at 15 (Top seems to be 16). I'm a bit hard of hearing (wife says I'm more than a "bit"...) but that works for me. With the mic input level set at 1 you do have to feed the mic signal in a bit "hot". I use a Tascam DR60D and adjust it's output to the camera for about 4 bars on the in camera level meters.

Good luck.

3. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Hi Bruce,

Been there, done that. No luck. I hope I don't have a sick camera!

4. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    There may be a minor problem with the way that one headphone plug fits into the headphone jack on the camera. This 1/8 jack does not always make very robust electrical connections. This is a long shot but have you tried another set of headphones?

One thing I do that can help with holding good connection and also takes the strain off the camera jacks, is to use "right angle" connectors, so that instead of having a "straight in" jack with it's weight and the weight of the cable also both exerting sideways pressure on the camera jack, you have all the weight pulling from closer in to the camera body. I do this with all 1/8 stereo jack connections, even headphones on the computer.