1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

'GH3 & GH2 Side-by-Side'

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Sep 19, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I'd like to see a side by side with say a Nikon 800 or Canon 5D. I really like all the external controls on this camera but I'd have a hard time going back to a camera that looks exactly like all the canikon DSLRs.

It's not really that I'm all that hung up on the looks of any camera I just like having a camera that is different in every way. I watched a pany vid today with a woman handling the camera and grip. Granted her hands were not large but the camera really looked large to me.

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yep, it's bigger. I think we all know that. Some will find it too big, some will find it perfect. Others would probably prefer something smaller, but accept the size as the price of it's build, control layout, and feature set.

I'll wait until I can see some actual performance info, and hopefully get a hands-on, before deciding.

3. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Here you go. Be sure to click the camera icons above the images to see different views. Especially the top view.

Compact Camera Meter

The D600 is actually quite small for a FF camera, but still way bigger than the GH3.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Using the meter the GH3 looks quite a lot bigger than a Nikon D5100 in which case perhaps they have made it a little too big ?

5. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

The D5100 is a small DSLR in real life, it's basically the same size as the D3000/D3100/D3200 and a fair bit smaller than the Canon 1100D/650D etc or the Nikon D90/D7000 let alone the FF Nikons and Canons.

It appears to have similar dimensions to a Nikon D90 (although the D90 has a taller viewfinder hump) and the D90 isn't a large DSLR.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#179,381

6. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I think the D5100 (and D3200) are missing the screw drive motor for AF on legacy Nikon lenses. This allows these cameras to be much smaller than the full featured models (D7000 and up).

Lee

7. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    I was checking out that comparison site last night, and the GH3 is essentially identical in size to the K-5... which I know many here have hands on experience with.

Fairly stiff competition in size/performance... as far as bodies go anyway I suppose.

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Wow...surprised to see that the GH3 is essentially the same size as the D90-size DSLRs.

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    On a related note, I picked up a G5 yesterday to try out (decided to compare with the GH3 and keep whichever one works best for me) and I found this comparison between the two helpful since I have the G5 in hand to compare:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

The G5 very much reminds me of the G3 with a more comfortable grip, but it could still be improved. I feel like I'm missing two things, primarily: more physical controls, and a taller grip. The G5 fits my hand in width but with it being such a short camera, the bottom corner of the body ends up digging into my palm. The heavier or longer the lens mounted, the more it matters. In fact on the old G3 I actually had it leave a welt on my palm where the corner of the grip hits, from shooting with a 100-300. I'm very much interested to see how the GH3 works for me. It's got the physical controls and then some, and its taller grip might fit my hand more comfortably. Fingers crossed it's goldilocks for me ("just right") and doesn't just feel too big and unwieldy :smile:

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Looks pretty good in terms of controls (less cramped, all the right buttons). But the melted chocolate shape is a bit unappealing, at least to me.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    GH3 looks like a GH2 that's been doing tons of military presses and upright rows and really building those deltoids.

Looks to me like GH3 is almost precisely the same size as the "consumer" APS cameras from Canikon (Canon T4i and Nikon D5100).

• Like Like x 2
  12. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Go here:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

And position the GH3 in front of the Rebel. It's still a bit smaller.

Then set them side by side again, and select top view for both cameras. Excepting the grip (which is actually too small on the Rebel), the GH3 body is also much thinner.

Weight is very close (the Lumix is 4% lighter), but it's important to remember that the Rebel is mostly plastic, the GH3 all metal. Building a solid, all metal camera as light as the GH3 is at least moderately impressive.

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Of course, the GH3 really has a size advantage when you start attaching comparable lenses. You can see here how much smaller the GH3 + P12-35mm/f2.8 is versus the T4i + 17-40mm/f4 (the 17-55mm/f2.8 is of a similar size).

• Like Like x 1
  14. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    :bravo-009:

Useful illustration for the "might as well get a DSLR!" crowd :smile: