GH3 gets DPR Gold Award ..WOW

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Interesting review. It seems to achieve gold primarily from its video assets and ergonomic similarity to DSLR's They think it is only average for stills and the viewfinder is a negative. Interesting review.
  3. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Given the professional video capabilities of the GH3, the OMD scored 1 point higher? Can anyone explain this based on fact, not emotion? lol
  4. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Given that video is a feature added to a stills camera, I can understand how it's weighted much less than still image quality, and functionality related to the same.
  5. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    So the OM-D/E-PL5/E-PM2 is just average too?
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Interesting, they seem to have dinged it as a stills camera because of the JPEG colors primarily. Pretty far down my list of considerations but then I guess maybe it's an important factor to other people.

Snipped from the review conclusion:

7. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    I agree. Still don't understand the obsession with JPG color, given how good the RAW workflow has become.
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I guess if you're a JPG shooter since what you get is essentially your finished product, it makes sense to be picky about it. Not my thing, but I fully understand some people don't shoot RAW and may have no desire to, either.

Just for curiosity's sake, I wonder if they tested the various modes like Vivid, Standard, Natural etc. or if they just leave everything at defaults for evaluation?
  9. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    JPEGs are still relevant to some users who have a much more demanding/remote workflow.

With the GH3's WiFi capabilities, one could easily post stills SOOC to the web with something like an iPhone.
  10. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

When shooting large numbers of still (e.g. at a corporate event), even a streamlined RAW workflow can get in the way. Pros who would normally process in RAW for a smaller job tend to use JPEG in situations like these, so they can provide finished photos to the client the same day. Also, most amateurs just don't want to deal with RAW (enthusiasts like the folks who hand out on this forum are the exception.) So yes, JPEG quality is still a significant selling point even for relatively pricey cameras like the GH3.
  11. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

Keep in mind that DPR published their OMD E-M5 nearly a year ago (April 30th, 2012). A lot of APS-C D-SLRs and mirrorless cameras have been released in the intervening months with similar image quality, so what was exceptional a year ago is probably just average now.

DPR was much prompter reviewing the E-M5 than they were the GH3, which contributed to the long time delay between reviews. Not entirely fair, but then the GH3 is only now becoming generally available in some markets while Olympus seemed to have plenty of E-M5s available shortly after the camera was announced.
  12. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    GH3 has more frame rate and bitrate shooting options for pros that need that for tasks like smooth slow motion footage. But for ordinary consumers that just want top quality vacation movies, GH3 footage can't beat the OMD in clarity or detail resolution and the colors are blander and less vibrant.

The jpeg stills of the GH3 just don't have the richness and vibrance of an Oly: (lifted from dpreview website) (my own Oly E-PL1) (my own Oly E-PL1)

And if you shoot RAW with the GH3 I don't think one can easily match Oly color richness and vibrance.
  13. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    I think the majority of the OMD audience is made up of point and shooters who've since upgraded because the technology has gotten cheaper. The camera can be set to auto mode, point and shoot, and then connect to a computer and printed. Done. No skill involved, no need to learn anything.

Take the above poster for example. He writes some stuff that he has little understanding of, links a couple of pics that have no meaning, and then starts talking about the color of the jpegs lol.
  14. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Interesting. I hadn't thought about the wireless live image dumping for pro usage.
  15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think you are way off base with this assertion. I don't think a lot of point and shooters suddenly decide to drop a $1000 on a body and more on lenses for a camera that gets very little attention in the mainstream marketplace.

E-M5 shooters appear to be m4/3 upgraders, and more than ever folks moving over from DSLRs who don't mind investing more serious dollars in a system.
  16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't think putting a lot of stock in DPRs ratings is a good idea, but the scores are obviously roll ups of all features and capabilities, tempered with a huge dose of subjectivity from the reviewer. I don't think DPR tends to look at video on same level as it does stills, so it's easy to see the number skew by a tiny margin to the E-M5.

If video is your priority the GH3 is a hands down choice. I think DPR made that very clear. Not that it's a surprise to anyone.
  17. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    The OM-D was in short supply for at least a couple of months when it came out.
  18. Bhupinder2002

Hi Mirrorless..I politely disagree. No one from P&S crowd will dump USD 1300 on a camera which the hardly know what it is. The crowd is busy buying Nikon 1 series or so called DSLRS which are easy to operate than OMD . OMD has been embaced mostly by people who know how to operate a camera. You will need far more knowledge than just Auto mode to operate OMD .
  19. kuau

kuau Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm an OM-D owner, I really like the camera, yet I am still struggling with the size of the body even with the grip. I love the 12, 45 and 75mm Oly glass.
    I was going to rent a GH3 the other day but after reading the DPreview, I canceled the rental. Why, because of the EVF for stills.
    Is it really that bad in comparison to the OM-D?
    Can anyone comment on the 2 EVFs

To me I would like the handling of the GH3 with the EVF of the OM-D
  20. Bhupinder2002

HAhhah :smile::smile:I ended up repeating same thing what u wrote and didtnt read you reply . I fully agree. OMD buyers are advance camera users and know the MFT inside out .Moreover I dont find anything wrong with P&S users .We all are entitled to enjoy our lives they way we want and shoot pics the way we are happy .