GH3, G6 or GX7?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mrcultureshock, Aug 20, 2013.

1. mrcultureshock

mrcultureshock Mu-43 Rookie

Hello,

I recently gave my trusty Panny LX5 to my brother and since I'm starting from scratch, I'd like to get a camera with interchangeable lenses. Now like many people out there, I thought I should get a camera with a big sensor. But after looking at the DSLR cameras and lenses that Canon and Nikon have to offer, I've concluded that they're just too big and heavy and will attract too much attention.

Since I'll most likely get a mirrorless camera, I was wondering if you all could give me a recommendation on which one to buy. I'm an advanced beginner who's interested in taking photos of landscapes, macro, some sports, and some wildlife. Here's my shortlist:

Panasonic GH3
    Panasonic G6
    Panasonic GX7

I'm leaning toward GH3 at the moment because of the video quality and body construction. But the newer Panny cameras also have excellent specs.

Which camera would you all choose and why?

Many thanks in advance!!

Nicolas

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Nicolas,

I guess given what you've written so far the GH3 might be the camera for you, especially if you shoot a lot of video. I'd recommend actually holding one, however, because it's a lot bigger than the other two cameras you mention, especially the GX7. The GX7 would get my vote for "stealthy" shooting.

I assume there's a reason for excluding the Olympus offerings--you do know that Oly and Panny share the same mount and lenses and bodies are completely interchangeable, right?

3. mrcultureshock

Thanks for the reply! Does Olympus have any advantages over Panasonic and vice versa?

4. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    I'm an advanced amateur as well, and having shot landscape with many Canon dSLRs up to the 5D2, I'm happy to finally have my first weather sealed camera via the GH3. Many times on the beach or in bodies of water, I've had to pay constant attention to my camera and the onslaught of waves, making it hard to focus on composition and other photographic things. At least now with the GH3 that is less of an issue. GH3 is my vote.

5. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    With regards to advantages, Olympus has in body stabilization whereas Panasonic has it built into the lenses. So every lens on an Olympus body is stabilized, whereas olympus lenses on a Panasonic body will not. But GX7 has in body stabilization.
    Panasonic has the first fast zooms, but Olympus is rumored to be releasing theres sometime soon.
    Olympus apparently has confusing menus.

6. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

If I wanted to get into M4/3 now I would get a G5 body and spend the $500-$1000 I just saved by not buying the latest body on some glass. Image quality from the G5 isn't that far behind those cameras and they are going very cheap ($300)
    If you really want the latest body then I think the GX7 looks like a great camera.

7. mrcultureshock

I think GH3 is definitely my top choice at the moment but the new Pannys have very interesting features that are making me hesitate.

Unfortunately, I've never held the GH3 cause I haven't been able to find it where I live. For those of you who've owned DSLRs and MFT bodies, how do the optical VF and EVF compare? Also, I've read that there are concerns with smearing on GH3's EVF. How bad is this problem?

Thanks again!

Nicolas

8. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    I am in the same boat and am leaning towards the GX7. GH3 is fairly old now and I think will be replaced in the next 6 months to address the new OMD.
    I like the new faster speeds and panstich option, in body stability and smaller form factor. I might add an external battery pack for any long shooting and to help with larger grip area.

9. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    all three of those are excellent at video. Gh3 is the only one with a mic jack
    If you plan on rigging up your camera with a mic and follow focus and all that then get a gh3. If your just an enthusiast that wants great video get either gx7 or g6

Id get a GX7 for its size, GH3 for options to expand in video and G6 as a second body.

10. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    First, the GH3 isn't that old at all and I doubt it will be replaced in the next 6 months. It has different strengths than the OMD, especially video. Many people rave about its ergonomics.

Second, if you want proven in-body stabilization then you'll want an Oly (especially the OMD, which has the best implementation). The GX7 may have effective IBIS, but we just don't know yet (reviews aren't in), although some preliminary results suggested it wasn't very good. If IBIS is important I'd definitely wait until we know more about it and the GX7.

Third, if you want a smaller form factor then you DEFINITELY don't want the GH3, because it's the biggest m43 camera (caveats apply to the new OMD-Pro, though it looks to be smaller). The GX7 or Pen-series would be a much better fit.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Regarding video: unless you're planning on doing broadcast quality video, any of the bodies you mention will do just fine. The biggest advantage of the GH3 is support for additional codecs, output format and frame rates that are required by professionals. I don't get the impression that describes you. The GX7 lacks an external mic input, which the GH3 has, if you think that will matter. I'm not sure if the G6 allows an external mic or not.

The GH3 is the choice if you want to shoot in the rain, as neither of the others are weather-sealed. Other than that, the GX7 looks to have very solid, magnesium construction, too. While the G6 is plastic over an aluminum chassis, I've yet to hear of any G series camera failing because of build quality issues. The GH2 uses the same construction as the G6, and has been used for professional video for years without problems.

How satisfied were you with the image quality of the LX7? All of the m43 cameras you list will be significantly better than that. But the GH3 is better than the G6. The GX7 is probably on par with the GH3, but we really don't know for sure yet. ALL of them will take very high quality photographs.

If size is important, the G6 and GX7 are significantly smaller and lighter than the GH3.

Finally, consider the G5. It doesn't offer the same video capability as the newer cams, but for typical videos of the family or childrens' sports it will do fine, and it's a real bargain right now.

FWIW, I have a GH3, but the main reason I chose it over the G6 was not because of video, or image quality, but because it IS bigger, and has decidedly better ergonomics for a serious photographer. But the G6 is not bad ergonomically, and the GX7 looks like it will be decent.

12. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Don't exclude the OMD-EM5. For photography, it rocks! The GH3 might be better for video, but only if you are shooting in a pro capacity.

13. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Not true, the G6 has a mic jack.

14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Have you ever tried shooting running water or trees with leaves rustling in the wind with the E-M5? The footage immediately breaks down into zillion of awful-looking square blocks. Panasonic cameras are approximately 1000 times better for video, even if you're just shooting amateur stuff for YouTube. But, or course, the E-M5's IBIS should not be underestimated.

15. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I totally agree.

16. thomasm

thomasm New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2012
    Are you talking about jpegs here?

17. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    He's talking video.

Fred

18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Limited to just the three bodies you mention, I'd probably go with the GH3.
    BUT
    If I had the budget for a GH3, I'd be looking very seriously at a $300 G5 and a Lumix 12-35. Or a G5 and a couple of decent lenses including the 60/2.8 macro or 45/2.8 macro.

I don't see any reason to get the most current body available. The body will eventually be replaced. What really defines an interchangeable lens system is the lenses.

Fred

19. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    That's mostly true but sometimes the body does make a huge difference.

In my experience the oly 45 f1.8 lens is a very different beast on my em5 vs. my gx1.
    It is much faster and consistent with the em5.

I won't even start about the way this lens works coupled to a epl1 (my first m43 bought cheap while waiting for the em5 to be in stock). I almost sold the lens in disappointment until I got the em5.

20. thomasm

thomasm New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2012
    Ah, thanks. A non issue for me then, trying to decide whether to upgrade to a E-M5 or GX7... :smile: