1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 for the photographer?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by xdayv, Jan 18, 2013.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    It has been known that the GH lines are in a way catered to video. On the other hand, what does GH3 brings to the table for photography? Would like to know your thoughts.

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Much better ergonomics this camera is much more comfortable to hold and better balanced with larger lenses such as the 100 - 300, 35 - 100, 14 - 140
    Much better physical controls - dual control wheels, increased number of control buttons, several assignable Fn buttons for even more control

• Like Like x 1
  3. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I think we see more video shot by the GH series because they are so good at video not that they are aimed at video shooters.

The GH3 is the most well balanced hybrid camera made today and there is lots of amazing tools for the still photography like speed, ergonomics, wireless connectivity, customization options, the list goes on.

What makes a still photographer like me excited in addition to what I wrote above is that with the G5 and GH3 I can shoot my video clips while I'm shooting stills and it all looks the same.

I'll be showing some street portraits on Small Camera Big Picture this weekend that I shot while I was rolling video.

These hybrid cameras are re-defining the way still photographers shoot.

You got some cool shots on your site Dave now imagine if they moved too!

• Like Like x 2
  4. It's been a misconception that the GH series cameras are for videographers and the G series are a better choice for photographers. For one thing, the GH cameras have always had the most advanced sensor in the Panasonic range and the GH3 appears to maintain that tradition, although it will be interesting to see if Panasonic now chooses to spread the love through the entire range as Olympus has done with the E-M5 sensor.

• Like Like x 2
  5. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I use my GH3 primarily for photography. Love the ergonomics on it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Many have the misconception, as gscorio and luckypenguin pointed out, that the GH series isn't as good an option for photography as the G series. Hogwash. In fact, it's better. It's just that not only is it better at pictures, it's also better at video too, and in fact better than any other HDSLR-type tool out there.

To many, the GH3 is an better photographic tool than even the immensely well-recieved OM-D(my favorite and current camera of choice). It provides overall more comfortable handling, has more direct access controls, has more features, provides better continuous autofocus and tracking, offers a 20fps max burst rate, has an electronic shutter for silent shooting, has an arguably better viewfinder, has substantially longer battery life, has a fully articulated screen(for portrait waist-level or high shots), has a cool feature that lets you change your AF point with the touchscreen while looking through the viewfinder, in camera HDR, in camera panorama, integrated intervalometer, etc etc etc. Perhaps the most useful thing for many is a smartphone app that actually works and does useful things. I've heard much positive commentary on using a smartphone for tethering, uploading, and monitoring.

The main things keeping me from it were that its larger size is a negative point for my uses, and the lack of IBIS which significantly hinders IQ given the lenses I use and the situations I tend to shoot in(static/static-ish subjects at night, no tripod).

• Like Like x 2
  7. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I love the Wi-Fi app for self portraits with my daughter. With my GH2 I was always the man behind the camera but with the GH3s Wi-Fi app I can monitor and take pics discretely while playing with my daughter. I only wish Panasonic would release a release a dedicated simple Wi-Fi shutter release.

• Like Like x 2
  8. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    I am not too interested in video. I own a gx1 and a g5. Would I see much benefit in IMAGE QUALITY in upgrading to the gh3? I currently own the 20mm prime, 14-42x, 45-175x, and the gmc and gwc converters. Anyone else got both or made the swap already?? Thinking about investing in more lenses too...

9. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    I don't own G5 but I did own GH2 (G5 is supposed to have a modified version of same sensor) and from my experience with GH3 so far I think that it all comes does to whether the difference is enough for you in terms of size increase and cost. For me, it was worth it. Though at first I reject GH3 due to the same reasons but I still ended up buying it because I just couldn't get use to OM-D ergonomics (which I got after selling GH2) and I was looking for something with similar IQ.

Other than the increase in IQ, the extra features like better video, better touchscreen and Wifi (love it) are worth the price of admission for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
    Agree with all the positive comments, above, regarding IQ, features, and ease of handling. I was able to spend an hour outside today, with wind chill of -35, shooting with gloves on. Switching between A & P, adjusting each with the wheel, as well as drive modes between bracket, burst and single. Frostbite optional.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    • Like Like x 2
  12. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011
    I have had the GH3 for just one day but initial test show it to be very close to the OM-D in image quality with the OM-D still having a slight edge in image detail.

I find the OM-D still provides sharper images with IBIS vs the OIS when testing with shorter zooms but the opposite was true with the 100-300 lens.

The jpegs are as others have stated are more pleasing from the OM-D and more color accurate from the GH3.

I think the cameras are so close to each other for still pictures that it just comes down to personal preference.

If you can afford both I would say the OM-D is the winner for primes and the GH3 wins for larger OIS zooms due to the handling and compatibility with larger Panasonic lens.

I do have to admit though that I think the GH3 is a little over price for $1299 body only. But I guess you are paying for the electronics inside for video....

Here's the 100-300 test shot crop of a roof top at 300mm ISO400 F5.6

GH3 OIS

[​IMG]

OM-D IBIS

[​IMG]

OM-D OIS

[​IMG]

And an indoor 12-35 shot of a planter pot crop at IOS400 F2.8 12mm

GH3 OIS

[​IMG]

OM-D IBIS

[​IMG]

All shots were hand held and there is variation from test to test based on how well I was holding the camera but the above crops seem pretty close to the typical results. Obviously these are not ideal pictures but pushing the lower light and longer zoom capabilities. The crops cover about 10% of the original photo area.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
  14. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Thanks for these test shots, maybe you mis-labeled your OM-D IBIS and OIS test shot?

15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Ok that second one looks like it missed focus completely. To use a camera for just one day and make a judgment on it seems silly to me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011
    No the blurry one is a crop of a larger photo....effectively magnified 10X of the OM-D with IBIS handheld with the 100-300mm lens at 300mm so it looks much worse than the overall photo and I did take 10 shots with each setting and selected an average photo for each.

I just did a quick test to see roughly how much detail the sensor is resolving and how well image stabilization was working.

17. myadidas

myadidas Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2013
    Viet Nam
    TuanAnh.Do
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I disagree with the part about the GH3 being over priced. The OMD and GH3 complement each other. I think of the OMD as a hybrid shooters 5D and the GH3 as our 1D style camera.

The GH3 was made for pros to use to make money with. Add to that the build quality and balance of quality stills and video capture the $1299 is a steal. From a pros perspective its a revolution in all areas.

Typically a pro camera has always had similar image quality to a high-end enthusiast camera, again look at the 5D vs 1D cameras, but the pro camera has the build and a few other features we need. In the past pro bodies cost thousands more (5D - $3500, 1D - $6500) so when we pros get a robust camera like the GH3 for $1299? That's like a gift from Panasonic. :2thumbs:

Naturally there will be comparisons between the two but they are totally different cameras. While still image quality as you said, are very similar I look at all the other GH3 features that will help me create hybrid e-products faster and easier before and I'm truly excited.

I get very excited when I think about the amazing tools we have now in the Micro 4/3 system. Now that cameras like the GH3 and OMD are here it tells us a few things -
    The system is taken seriously by companies that are will to put out millions in R&D for pro use.

Micro 4/3rds has matured into a system that an amateur can start with and if they choose grow into a professional business.

The system is one that anyone can afford even for the top-of-the-line bodies.

I just got back from the Imaging USA conference in Atlanta, GA and can tell you first hand that what Panasonic was the hit of the show. I've since gotten more then a few emails from Pros that are either taking on the Micro 4/3 system by adding it to their existing system and a few that are like me and going all in selling off their DSLR.

Any time I walked around the show floor with mine tethered wirelessly to my Galaxy S3 I got stopped multiple times. It's super cool to get a shot from my GH3 to my Galaxy then email it to the person on the spot. Talk about networking! :smile:

Fellow photographers, what we have in our little cameras is a silent revolution that is gaining speed. When the popularity ramps up, and it will, we can all sit back saying we were a part of it in the beginning.

So cool!

• Like Like x 2
  19. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Ireland.
  20. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011
    I agree... the body is similar in size to my K-5 II but that is what I like about it. It is very comfortable to hold. But you still get a big size and weight savings on the lens system.

The 12-35, 35-100, and especially the 100-300 lens feel well balanced on the GH3 body...more than on the OM-D or others.

• Like Like x 1