GH3 Focus Tracking

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SZRimaging, Dec 27, 2012.

1. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    I am looking to dump my D7000 and am debating the GH3 and EM-5. One thing I can't seem to find, how is the focus tracking on the GH3? Better than the EM-5?

I haven't decided if the video features are a selling point. Thinking of an EM-5, then adding a hacked GH2 if I need better video. But, if the tracking is substantially better, it could be a reason to spend the extra money. If not, the size, price, IBIS of the EM-5 wins.

2. musicmaster

musicmaster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    All of these cameras are going to pale in comparison to a PDAF system on a normal DSLR. That being said, it's not that bad.

3. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    True, but the D7000's AF has been slow acquiring focus. Slow enough, that my E-PM1 would have had no issue in the same situation. Even shooting sports, I tend to pre-focus more than I track. So in all honesty, it's probably less of an issue than I think.

4. musicmaster

musicmaster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    You sure you are using the D7000's AF correctly?

Also depends on what lens you are using as well.

5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    This video forum has alot more user information on the GH3: Panasonic GH Cameras

GH3 owners are reporting much faster focus tracking performance as compared to the GH2 so that means it should also be considerably faster than the E-M5.

6. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    So far I've seen numerous reports of the GH3's focus tracking being the best on any mirrorless camera other than the Nikon 1 series, even over Sony's new PDAF system. So that seems like a plus. Since you are talking about video, it seems to work particularly well for that where critical focus is less of a problem. A few have compared focus to entry level DSLRs, which is certainly progress.

I wonder if the "vivid" trick works on the GH3? Because using that and high framerate EVF I'm quite happy with focus tracking on my E-M5