1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 Eyecup

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by synthetictone, Apr 3, 2014.

1. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    Just wondering if anyone else has experienced losing their rubber eyecup piece on the GH3? It seems to consistently get knocked off taking in and out of my camera bag and since many times I shoot just from the LCD, I don't even notice until I go actually use it. I have lost 2 of them now. :frown:

I am glad I purchased 2 a couple of weeks ago as replacements so I still have one back at home i can put back on. Thinking about adding a drop of glue to it's backside to help prevent it from coming off again.

2. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    Im wondering the something. I lost mine too.

3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I owned a GH3 for four months and lost it once. It fell off another time, too, but I got lucky and found it.

In my case, I used a vertical grip and hung the camera over my shoulder, so I think the pendulum-movement of the camera on the strap was well-aligned to knock-off the eyecup.

I've had similar problems with the E-M5.

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yes, lost mine several times and finally lost it for good and had to order a replacement from Panasonic.

Wasn't a problem at first but it seems like once it came off the first time it never stayed on as tightly. I've run into this most often when shooting with a Blackrapid strap... hanging upside down clearly doesn't help!

I have a small strip or two of gaff tape on the eyecups of both my GH3 bodies now just as a preventative.

5. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    I guess it is good to know I am not the only one. Thinking back, I was using a Blackrapid strap too recently. It is possible I lost it this last time while using that but I had noticed my bag bumping it off previously. I just wished it locked into place a bit better.

6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, I'd never lost an eyecup until I started using the BlackRapid strap again recently. Then I lost my GH3 eyecup twice (the second time I wised up an taped it...) *and* a D600 eyecup the same way all within a week or two of each other. Hanging upside down and rubbing viewfinder-first against clothing and bags seems to be amazingly good at removing rubber eyecups.

Sad to say, I just lost another eyecup yesterday - this time off an A7 (I was not using the BR strap, so no idea where it went off to this time or how).

I'm starting to think taping all my viewfinder eyecups is a worthwhile countermeasure, regardless of manufacturer!

• Like Like x 1
  7. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    daaammnnnn..you dont have good luck lol