1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH3 EVF coating problem

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by lattiboy, Mar 23, 2015.

1. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Hi all,

I just got a used GH3. Everything works gangbusters except for the EVF.

There appears to be a cloudy residue on the EVF, like a coating that has been smeared. Everything looks like it's being viewed through a coke bottle.

There is no chance this thing is still under warranty, but I'd like advice from anybody who has had a similar issue.

For the price I paid, I can't complain. I tend to use the LCD for composing, so it isn't the end of the world. But I'd like to sell at some point and this would certainly make it much less valuable.

thanks!

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The coating used on the EVF optics is VERY soft. It's likely what you're seeing are actually a bunch of micro-scratches. For this reason, I NEVER clean the EVF without dampening the cleaning cloth with some window/glass cleaner. Most of the time it's just dust, so I use my rocket blower to remove the dust.

How much did you get the camera for, if you don't mind my asking?

3. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    So, is there anyway to replace the glass?

Again, this isn't life and death for me, and I got it with a 14-140mm... for not a lot more than the 14-140mm costs by itself.

4. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    In theory, yes it's possible. I think by the time you go through the hassle of getting a spare optical assembly, disassembling the GH3, replacing the optical assembly, and reassembling the GH3, you would probably be better off (and come out ahead) contacting Panasonic repair and having them do it.

5. hammyuk

hammyuk New to Mu-43

Mar 25, 2015
    chris wray
    I have just got my gh4 back with the exact same issues, they had to replace the evf lens and realign it, seems a common problem, I just used some lens cleaner and a cloth to clean it but imo I think something else caused it like bright sunlight, from now on I will be covering my evf with a makeshift rubber cover.

6. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

For GH3 it appears that the EVF has to be replaced as a sub assembly. GH3 EVF.

7. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Hmmm... I wonder if it's possible to replace the GH3's sub assembly with a GH4 sub assembly? :hmmm:

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

No, not at all. The EVF is just a display unit, the signal fed to it is different in GH4

9. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Ah, ok. I wasn't certain what was different in terms of inputs coming in to the EVF display between the GH3 & GH4.

10. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks guys. Kind of annoying, but again, I paid not a ton for it.

I'll try the toothpaste with wet cloth possible fix shown on one of the threads I saw and see if it does anything...

11. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I would NOT try that!

Toothpaste is abrasive and would likely totally ruin the eyepiece.

Instead order some PecPads and Eclipse cleaning fluid. The pads are as close to totally lint free soft cloth as you will get and the Eclipse fluid is about the purest alcohol we can get.

PecPads: http://www.amazon.com/PEC-PAD-Lint-...ie=UTF8&qid=1427429085&sr=8-1&keywords=pecpad

Eclipse cleaning fluid: http://www.amazon.com/Photographic-...429198&sr=8-1&keywords=eclipse+cleaning+fluid

These two items are the greatest, safest, most effective lens cleaning materials I've ever used. Also the fluid can be used with Sensor Swabs for cleaning most digital camera sensors. Apply the fluid sparingly to the pad or sensor swab, never directly to the lens surface or sensor surface.

Good luck.

12. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks! I didn't do it yet. I'll go ahead and grab those items and see what can be done.

13. oxhouser

oxhouser Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2012
    if its scratched no amount of cleaning liquid will solve it, I use toothpaste on old watches to get the fine scratches of the glass, im not saying do it but if you try all other things first and its no use as it is what have you got to lose plus it will smell nice and minty

14. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    In his original post he described it as appearing like "a cloudy residue on the EVF, like a coating that has been smeared" which leave a strong likelihood he is not dealing with "scratches". Toothpaste is a definite abrasive which is why it works so well on teeth. It also is a crude polishing agent, I used to use it to remove oxidation/tarnishing from my aircrew badge (the older dull finish type) while on active duty (USAF).

The approach I recommended will not do any further damage and stands the best chance of safely removing any "residue" that may be present. While the toothpaste may very well "polish out" part of the scratches on old watch crystals it can be counted on to ruin the coating or surface of any optical lens part of today's cameras.