1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH3 companion?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by ajamils, Feb 9, 2013.

1. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    I currently have GH3 and even though I love the camera there are situations where I don't want (can) to carry it so I need something more portable and I was looking at the following cameras

- Sony RX100 (great IQ, 3x zoom, expensive)
    - Panasonic LX7 (Good price, only 3x zoom, small sensor)

But after reading countless reviews and forum posts, I am not completely sold on the idea of these compacts because either they have many compromises or are enough expensive to warrant a look at another interchangeable lens camera.

So I started looking at Sony Nex-6 (with PZ lens) and GX1 (with PZ lens). Though I really like NEX-6, I don't know if it would be good idea to step into another camera system. As for GX1, it looks like a viable option, specially because I already own Panasonic lenses but I've read nothing but bad reviews of 14-42 PZ lens, which makes it tough to buy it. I could do GX1 with primes but then I lose flexibility as I will have to carry more than one lens.

Any suggestion?

2. kurteise

kurteise New to Mu-43

Jan 17, 2012
    Warwick, NY
    It seems you want to lighten up from the GH3. I would stay with Panasonic since you don't want to relearn with a different manufacturer.Lightening up means no extra lenses to carry.
    I have a GH3 and a LX5. Both suit my needs.so go for the newer LX7.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I own an LX7 as a family camera I chose it over the Sony because of the better optics. It is a great little camera to operate. My daughter because of the ease started to use PASM.
    In order to set it up i did not have to look at the manual, the menus are very similar to the one in my :43: cameras. I highly recommend it.

4. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Lx7 has a bright lens but has a very small sensor compared to RX100 and that is what concerns me. One thing that definitely makes LX7 more compelling is the price. It is significantly cheaper than RX100.

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This sensor size was also my concern. But since the RX100 is 20mbit and the LX7 is 10Mbit the pixel density is the same and the RX100 is only about 1 stop better in ISO performance. If you look at the optics in the wide angle the LX7 is faser by 2/3 of a stop while at long end it is two stops. another LX7 advantage is that it is 24mm at the wide end while the Sony is only 28mm. Since I like shooting wide this is a big difference for me. Handling wise the LX7 has more control and the option to add :43: TTL flash that I own.
    If we put the price difference then the RX100 is not even in the same ball park.
    I think that the RX100 is way overpriced and compete with a :43: small bodies and even the GX1.

• Like Like x 1
  6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    GX1 + 20mm or + 14mm.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I have the RX 100, I find it's a camera that needs to be used like an SLR to really appreciate just how good it is. I was on a hill walk last weekend in the snow and at Stonehaven Harbour yesterday and used the RX 100 on both occasions, using A mode, the histogram to gauge exposure and shooting RAW and jpg.
    I also used the GH3 with 12-35 yesterday and was taking shot for shot with the RX 100 and GH3. both shooting RAW and jpg.

To say I'm impressed with the RX 100 is an understatement, the IQ (I mean ooc jpg's never mind the RAW) is superb. The colours are natural and well saturated, images sharp and detailed and the DR is impressive, very few blown high lights and this is the ooc jpgs!!!
    Form my brief comparisons today it stood up incredibly well against the GH3 12-35 combo.

To me it's a photographers camera, not just a point and shoot, it rewards effort with composition, focus point and exposure with simply excellent photos (just like any DSLR or ILC camera) that far exceed it's diminutive size.
    I even like the user interface, I find it easy to use and intuitive enough.
    I'm smitten with mine.

Paul

8. Chas

Chas Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    I would not enter into a new system if you already have a GH3, so no on the NEX.

With respect to the LX7, by all accounts a stellar camera. I have the older gen LX5 and similar older gen GF1. The smaller LX5 sensor is very good, but once you get to night shots as >= ISO 400, the GF1 blows it away (albeit, limited to the 20 mm f1.7 or 14 mm f2.5 lenses. The 12 mm (MFT equivalent) field of view in the LX cams is very nice and useful, so that is a plus. My point is the smaller sensor of the LX7 could be similarly compromised against a more modern MFT body such as the GX1, which in some cases can sell for about the same price as an LX7.

The RX100 is a great little cam. While I do not have it, the 1 inch sensor should mitigate the effects of the maller LX7 sensor, granted, not as wide a FOV. But if you are willing to spend that much money, you have to also look at another MFT body, and the current pricing on the GX1 is crazy good. But even the GX1 with the pancakes is a bigger package than the RX100, and so there you have to answer the question as to what you want....a pocketable, all a round good performer, as a back up to, or instead of the GH3, or another body capable of rounding out and using the rest of your MFT system lenses and accessories.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Let us know what you decide.

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    GX1 is being discounted, or get the G5. I like the G5.

10. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    GX1 are on sale now and are perfect to go with the GH3.

11. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    G5 won't help because that is still a bigger camera than I would prefer to carry, when not carrying GH3. I did order LX7 last night at a really good price of $280 but still keeping an eye out for a good deal on GX1 + 14-42 PZ kit.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

12. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Seems like portability is your primary concern. The GF3 can be had for next to nothing on ebay.

13. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Does anyone have any experience with Nikon Coolpix P7700? I really like the extra zoom on it compared to LX7. Does anyone know how the picture quality compares?

14. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I ordered a gx1 for 2nd body next to my omd :)

15. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    GX1 seems to be the best bang for the buck nowadays, wonder if getting (another) one for keeps is a good idea? :confused:

16. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I've never used the LX7 but do own the P7700 and it is the camera I have been using in the last few months for when I did not feel like carrying my M43 system. I find the Nikon to be a very nice travel camera, with a versatile lens and swivel screen and all the dials and buttons you could want. IQ (while probably not in RX100 territory) is very acceptable to me and the size is not bad, still a little smaller than GX1 with the pancake zoom.

Here are some pics I took with the P7700: Christmas in Malta with the Nikon P7700

17. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Go with a GF3 or GF5 or if you want something slightly larger, GX1, or go Olympus and get the E-PM1 or 2.

Then get a 14 or 20mm prime. Most casual snapshots really don't need anything in the way of zoom, and for serious portraits most tiny zooms don't deliver the image quality you need--so you'll want a prime anyhow.

18. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    As pocket-ability is one of your requirements I would go with an Olympus E-PM 2
    This has a similar sensor and low light performance to the O-MD and therefore to the GH3
    You will then get increased versatility by being able to use the same lenses and get similar quality photos when you use your secondary camera and wont be wishing you had had the other camera with you when you took 'that shot'
    The E-PM 2 is very small - much smaller than the GX1 (which I also happen to like very much) and has improved controls and a touchscreen compared to the E-PM1 which had the previous gen sensor.
    Regards
    Rob

19. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at E-PM2 and though it is smaller than the GX1, there are couple of things that keeps it from being a good purchase (for me). First is the lack of built-in flash. I hated this on my OM-D because this was an extra thing that I had to remember to take with me and then when I needed a flash, it took some time to get it all setup and by that time I had already missed the shot. Second issue is the price. With current sales on GX1, E-PM2 is twice the price and almost in the territory of PL-5, which has better controls and screen.

20. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Exactly what I'm thinking but you said it better. GF3 + P20mm = perfect economical backup/compact cam. I have a GF2 and LX5 in the house. When I want a small cam for parties or for out and about, I grab the GF2. The LX5 just doesn't do it for me anymore. Speaking of flashes: The GF2/3/5 has a tiltable flash, works amazingly well as indoor bounce flash. Also, the LX5 and GF2/3/5 are virtually the same size, so you don't really have that size advantage going with a compact.
    This has the larger Sigma 30mm but you get the idea.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/8469755122/" title="The little guys by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr"> 8469755122_30d3367fb9_z. "640" height="480" alt="The little guys"></a>