1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 Buffer? (and availability)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by zpierce, Dec 27, 2012.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Can any of you lucky new GH3 owners comment on the buffer? Can it shoot more than 7 RAW frames before screeching to a hault? This is a biggie for me to upgrade. I shoot a lot of runners and when big packs come by, I often run out of shots before I get everyone with my GH2.

Also, anyone have a lead on availability? I haven't been following too closely, but got some Xmas dough and am getting the itch. Everywhere I look online (usual suspects) still list them as preorder. Has anyone found a US dealer with stock or had a reasonably quick turnaround from any particular company?

Thanks!
    Zach

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Still showing preorder only at DigitalRev, and they're usually one of the first. (Note: theirs are PAL video, not NTSC)

Not to get off topic, but how does the IQ of that RAW image you missed stack up to the JPG IQ of the shot you got? I would say that this is one of the (admittedly few) areas where JPG is a real necessity, and the tunable JPG engine in these cameras would be a godsend, allowing you to get "close enough", and not have the frame rate/buffer issues that will always come with larger files.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    To answer your question about the buffer, I just took my GH3 and fired off some shots in "H" burst mode (RAW only). I was using a Sandisk 16GB class 10 30MB/s card. After the initial burst it slowed down the rate some, but kept firing off frames... I stopped after 47 shots since it didn't look like it was going to actually stop.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have other questions or if there's something specific you wanted to test.

EDIT: I just tried it again and verified I get to somewhere north of 40 (around 42 best guess) before it started to slow down. It seemed like just about the same FPS as far as I could tell until that point.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I just tried mine and it does 22 shots when set to RAW mode before slowing down.
    When set to highest resolution jpg it just kept going, I stopped after 50 shots.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  5. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    What kind of card are you using? I wonder if that makes a difference. I just tried again and I got > 40 shots before the framerate dropped. If I get a chance later I may try it with my 45MB/s card and see if there's an appreciable difference.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Proper buffer at last!
    :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
    Day and night compared to previous G & GH models wouldn't you say?

• Like Like x 1
  7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah :biggrin: I've not done a lot of buffer tests on previous since I really rarely use burst mode for more than a couple shots but it certainly looks like the GH3 has no real issues in that regard. The tracking autofocus seems noticeably improved as well, at least in my opinion.

I am looking forward to someone with sports/action experience testing the GH3 to let us know how it performs compared to a DSLR. I just don't have the background and experience in that area to make a meaningful comparison myself, but it sure seems like the GH3 is a step in the right direction.

8. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I'm using a Ultima pro 16GB class 10 Card, claims up 20MB/sec, it's an OK card, nothing too flash, cost me a tenner on Amazon.
    I'm sure the faster the card the more hots you can take before the buffer fills, but RAW 22 shots is more than enough anyway and unlimited jpg's.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  9. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Thanks a lot guys, this is fantastic news for me.

To answer the question, my GH2 doesn't go much further shooting JPGs than RAWs, might be photo processing time. Regardless, I like the opportunity to process the raw files, if for no other reason than to really make that one in a thousand shot from a race I'm shooting shine and potentially get published. Also, I'm just so used to RAW, I rarely think about setting white balance or tweaking any processing controls in the camera.

10. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    By the way, where did you guys score your cameras?? :)

11. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Mine was from amazon and shipped in mid to late November. I pre-ordered it the day it was available on amazon.com though, so I don't think it's any indication of availability.