GH3 (body) vs G7 with 14-42 + Oly 45mm/1.8

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Belin, Jul 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Belin

Belin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    Hi guys,

I want to upgrade from my GF5 and I am currently thinking about the 2 options as per title.
    Lens I have at the moment: Panny 14-42mm, Panny 45-150mm, Sigma 30mm and 60mm.

Where I live (Italy) I have found a second hand G7 (bought in Nov2015, about 5000 shots) listed at 550€ (600$) with Panny 14-42 (same as mine) and Oly 45mm/1.8. Unfortunately the seller does not want to sell just body or body and Oly lens only. It's still under warranty (2 years here in EU).
    With some negotiation I can bring it down to around 470€ (520$), I guess.

The other choice is the GH3, body only. Well, here it's much more expensive but actually next week I am in the US and I have found a deal at B&H:550$ (about 500€) shipped. Since I have all lens, it does not sound bad.
    A concern can be the Warranty but according to what I read on Panny website there should be a WW warranty even if more limited than standard national one.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Since none of your lenses are weather sealed, I don't see any advantage that the GH3 has over the G7. But the G7 has 4K, faster AF, and a better EVF, not to mention features like focus peaking that are now basic.

I would pick the G7 without question, and then take a few controlled test shots, keep the sharper of the two 14-42s and sell the other.

And getting the 45/1.8 is a free $250 value. Honestly seems like a great deal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I think that particular GH3 is priced too high.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Given the same choice, I'd go for the G7 without a second thought.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.