GH3 (body) vs G7 with 14-42 + Oly 45mm/1.8

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Belin, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Belin

Belin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    Hi guys,

I want to upgrade from my GF5 and I am currently thinking about the 2 options as per title.
    Lens I have at the moment: Panny 14-42mm, Panny 45-150mm, Sigma 30mm and 60mm.

Where I live (Italy) I have found a second hand G7 (bought in Nov2015, about 5000 shots) listed at 550€ (600$) with Panny 14-42 (same as mine) and Oly 45mm/1.8. Unfortunately the seller does not want to sell just body or body and Oly lens only. It's still under warranty (2 years here in EU).
    With some negotiation I can bring it down to around 470€ (520$), I guess.

The other choice is the GH3, body only. Well, here it's much more expensive but actually next week I am in the US and I have found a deal at B&H:550$ (about 500€) shipped. Since I have all lens, it does not sound bad.
    A concern can be the Warranty but according to what I read on Panny website there should be a WW warranty even if more limited than standard national one.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Since none of your lenses are weather sealed, I don't see any advantage that the GH3 has over the G7. But the G7 has 4K, faster AF, and a better EVF, not to mention features like focus peaking that are now basic.

I would pick the G7 without question, and then take a few controlled test shots, keep the sharper of the two 14-42s and sell the other.

And getting the 45/1.8 is a free $250 value. Honestly seems like a great deal.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I think that particular GH3 is priced too high.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Given the same choice, I'd go for the G7 without a second thought.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1