1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 battery life

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lew, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Any idea how many shots I'll get with:

1. No video
    2. Rear LCD off
    3. Max raw file size/no jpgs

2. dmanthree

dmanthree New to Mu-43

Feb 11, 2013
    Not sure about raw, but shooting time lapses using JPG mode I was able to take about 350 to 400 frames before the battery was out. I'm not sure if shooting time lapses is a good correlation to normal shooting, but so far battery life seems to be OK, but not spectacular.

3. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    Best to use the electronic shutter for time lapse. Look at how many frames you shoot for video and the battery holds up.

I'm currently getting in excess of 500 RAW images for each battery charge and since I use the battery grip, the battery life is beyond what I'd likely ever need.

For battery life, too much is not enough in my opinion.

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Your described settings is exactly how I use the GH3 (RAW only, no LCD, stills and no video). Unfortunately I can't answer this since I've yet to run the battery out, even over multiple days :tongue: I've just ordered the battery grip as well so I think it's unlikely I'll ever run the battery flat in actual usage.

FWIW, it's rated to nearly 500 shots CIPA rating (details below), so I think you can easily anticipate over 500 shots with more conservative usage.

How to Rate Battery Runtime – Battery University

5. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    Why is it best to use electronic shutter for time-lapse? I suppose that uses somewhat less power, but I've noticed some odd banding a few times when I tried electronic shutter that wasn't present when shooting normally. Also ISO tops out at 1600, I think, when using electronic shutter.

6. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    The normal projected life of a shutter is around 100,000 actuations. At 1 frame per second you get very roughly 6 minutes of video for the GH3's limit of 9,999 frames in one sequence. Thus 1 hour of time lapse will bring you up to your shutter's projected life.

I'm not saying any of this is written in stone but when setting a shutter to fire 2,500 frames and using time lapse frequently as I do that should be a factor in one's thinking.

The ISO limit of 1600 doesn't matter for what I do. The electronic shutter is used for video always, of course and I detect no banding whatsoever on either time lapse with the electronic shutter or video.

The power saving is significant - think how many frames you shoot in video and how long the battery lasts. The battery life of 500 or so would give you 20 seconds of video with the main shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    Thanks! I hadn't thought of it in terms of shutter actuations.