1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH3 Arrived - Display Button Faulty?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RuffDraft, Jan 4, 2014.

1. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi All,

Firstly, a big thank you to all who helped me in my thread about the wedding.

I decided on a GH3, but it has arrived with the display button showing very little response after being clicked, almost like it's sinking in. In fact, it is sinking in, completely unlike the rest of the buttons on the GH3. I will try to provide a picture or a video in a few hours time, but I have visitors over at the minute.

Can anyone confirm that this is normal, or have I received a faulty button on my GH3?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

2. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Decided to return it. Some example images:

photo4_zps777d4164.

photo1_zps911eeae4.

As soon as I pushed the button (lightly) the button seemed to disappear into the body... shocking quality. All other buttons work seemingly well, had to return it to Amazon... only downside is that I'll have to wait to be re-imbursed as the body only version is now out of stock :frown: I guess I'll have to hope the refund is done by the end of the week (it's being collected on Monday), but can take up to three weeks. If that's the case, I'll be outside the offer period to get the battery grip for free. :confused:

First impressions: GH3 is a tank! I really appreciate the design of the OM-D now that I've used a different camera... I'm not so impressed with the looks or the build quality (not that I want this over functionality), although I can imagine that I've been swayed to think less of the GH3 due to the faulty Display button. Image quality looks great and focus assist seem to work well (although do you always have to begin in the middle of the screen and work your way to your subject? or can you simply move the focus point and then manual focus?

Also, the LCD or viewfinder didn't seem to change as I modified the settings... is that something the OM-D does, or can I set up the GH3 to show a preview too, before pressing the shutter???

Thanks again for all your support. I'll wait until I get my refund.... maybe I'll go for the G6 instead if I can't get the battery grip.

• Like Like x 1
  3. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    My GH3 is the same and so are all the others I've held. The button is flat rather than sticking up like the others. I think this is because your thumb rests right over that spot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I would agree with you, but I think mine was especially pushed in? It seemed reasonably flush before I pushed it for the first time, and then it disappeared! Now it barely clicks (although it works) and you have to push your thumb into it quite hard to make a good connection, or resort to using your thumb nail.

If yours is that poor too, then I think I'll be returning the replacement and forgetting the GH3 altogether... I don't mind flush, and I can see why that would make sense like you say, but to be difficult to press... That's something else altogether in my view.

5. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    Visually that looks the same as the button on mine. I don't change the display mode much, but the button isn't hard to press. It doesn't have as much of a "click" feeling as the other buttons though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks bg2b, this one is hard to press. I know what you mean in terms of visually, as I couldn't really depict how it feels with the image.

I guess the best way to describe it is that there is barely any feedback after pressing it, and it seems to sink further and further into the body. To the point where now, I can just about push it with my finger, but I can do it much better with my nail.

When I first got it out of the box, it looked how I imagine it would, quite flush, but after first press it just sunk away... I'm guessing everybody else has more of a response than that... otherwise, I think there'd be more about it on the net... But I guess I'll see.

Replacement comes Wednesday.

7. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    My display button was exactly the same. At first I thought there was something wrong as well but it seems to be the way they are.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    HI RuffDraft, The photos which you posted show the Disp button in the correct position as designed, sitting just below the surface of the body. This is to prevent accidental activation. Some users can press the button with their thumb, others have to use the thumbnail, depending on finger size. It's not one of Panasonic's ergonomic triumphs but it works just fine after a bit of practice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    That's insanely poor from a design perspective. It makes sense though, just feels like the button is so flimsy, it's doomed to break eventually, but if you get used to it then I guess that's ok. I can understand the frustration it would cause, to accidentally touch it continuously. Just don't understand why you would put it there if you have to make it hard to press. The only frustrations that I've read are to do with the control dial, which can't be pressed from the right hand side as easily as the left, but I actually find the control dial fine.

I'm going to have to grow a thumbnail now... Ha. I'll have to send it back now anyways, as I've got everything sorted to go back.

I'll update the thread on Wednesday, but thank you to everyone for your insight.

10. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Thank you to everyone for your help, my new GH3 arrived, and I can see what everyone meant by the design. I'm pleased though, as this one is more responsive to the touch. The last one was definitely faulty and offered zero response, disappearing into the body for good. This one is much better, feeling similar to the other buttons, but still sunken into the body a bit, which is a lot more bearable now that I know that it's designed that way, and that it's a big improvement over the last body I received.

After reading online about the faults of the GH3 (viewfinder and hotshoe), I am a little worried about investing so much money into it. I don't know if others would concur?

Either way, I'm really pleased with it and I'm really looking forward to shooting my friend's wedding with it. Now for some day trips to create some videos!

11. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Just as an addon, I had two GH3s (returned one because the price dropped to $800 and Amazon wouldn't just match it) from two different batches and both had the odd display button. It responds well enough, but only when you're deliberately pressing it. It works even with gloves on, which is one of the nice things about the GH3 in winter, it's glove-operable. No way to trigger Display accidentally with your hand, which as others have mentioned, was probably the point.

There isn't any flex in the button so I don't think it's going to "get worse" nor have I seen any complaints.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks STR, as stated in the post above, I think the display button on my last one was faulty. Since trying the new one today, I feel a lot better about it and know that it won't get any worse, which is your perception and everyone else's it seems. I'm excited to play with it now :) I can't wait in fact! Are there any reviews of the GH3 from users here???

13. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    I don't know about reviews, but since you already have it in hand, I'd be looking more at tips & tricks.

Buy a fast SD card if you don't have one. UHS-1 minimum, but the GH3 writes faster than the minimum UHS-1 spec. Most people here seem to use Sandisk Extreme 45MB, but it seems the GH3 can write a bit faster than even that. I use PNY Elite Performance 90 MB cards, which are roughly the same price as the Sandisk. Faster cards can give you an extra second of shooting continuous due to the already large buffer on the GH3.

For action shots, set burst rate to M (which is the fastest speed that the camera will re-focus between shots), continuous shooting, focus to single box, and focus mode to either AFS or AFC. Even if something is running at you, it will usually hit focus at frame 2-3 so long as you can keep the focus box centered on it.

There's a setting to change the front dial to exposure compensation, which makes shooting in PAS modes effortless. It's not enabled out-of-box. I only use the exposure comp button to adjust the flash. There is a setting in flash to enable adjustable TTL exp comp, which also isn't enabled to start with.

If your camera didn't come with it (my second GH3 was only on 1.1) update to the latest firmware. The low-light autofocus is fantastic. It's quite a bit slower, but it will lock. Just wait for the white circle to disappear and the focus point to turn green.

If you turn on highlights in the video setting menu, you will see where highlights are being clipped WHEN IN VIDEO MODE. For some reason (likely patent-related) it doesn't show clipped highlight blinkies in still modes, but all it takes is a twist of the dial to manual video mode to see them, then twist back to still mode to take the photo. There might be a way to see them in C mode, but I haven't messed with it in a while.

• Like Like x 3
  14. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Thank you STR! That's a long list of great tips!!! The one thing I am realising as I begin messing with it (in between working sessions) is that it doesn't change the appearance of the image on the LCD when you change the manual settings, which it does do on the OM-D.

Is there a way to show how the picture will look on the GH3 before pressing the shutter?

15. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    The viewfinder doesn't bother me at all. I don't like to use flash, so not really an issue either. I suppose if I wanted a big flash on it, I'd rather get a handle with a flash mount as it is better to hold anyway.

I find it to be extremely good for videos, and does a very good job with pictures as well, so I'm happy. My only gripes with the GH3 (which appears to be fixed in the upcoming, but more expensive 4k model) is that it lacks focus-peaking and it does not have IBIS. I would also have appreciated ability to store raw video onto the sd-card (for the rare time I use green-screen and want the best possible source for chroma-keying).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    This information is what I have been searching hard for in this forum - questions that I asked in my "From E-M5 to GH3..." thread. Thank you sir for your answers! I haven't got a lot of help and tips in my thread. But this will work to. Thanks again for your answer here in this thread!
    I am waiting eagerly in my GH3 that I hopefully will get from my camera store next week (I ordered it already).

• Like Like x 1
  17. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    In the 11 months that I have been using the GH3 the only problem was a loose hinge on the articulated LCD. I sent it in for warranty repair. I think this was only an issue with early GH3s. Panasonic also reworked the memory cover to improve sealing and to prevent it from opening so easily. I was told that the hotshoe screws were tightened and secured with thread lock. I have thoroughly enjoyed the GH3 in performance and handling. It is probably the most ergonomic camera I have owned. The only gripe I have is the difficulty in the EVF diopter adjustment. The incremental change is so small it is hard to see any change. Once adjusted it is very nice. IMHO the GX7 EVF is much better. I can clearly see the entire image with my glasses on. With the GH3 the corners are slightly darkened - the same as all the other u4/3 EVFs including the G6, EM5 and EM1. I do the majority of my shooting with a tripod and mainly use the LCD. It is somewhat reminiscent of using a view camera with the exception of a right side up image. The GX7 is my hand held camera.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  18. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I don't think I really care for IBIS for video (as I'll use my monopod), but for pics, that's why I'll continue to shoot with my EM5. From the looks of focus peaking on other models, it's not something I'm going to miss... The focus assist is good enough I think...?

Do you know if I can update the viewfinder/LCD as I change the settings in manual mode, to give me a preview of my shot before I take it?

19. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    That's great news, hopefully I have a recent model! How are your feelings with regards to the GH3 after a year of shooting?

20. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    A few weeks ago I just bought a lightly used OMD E-M5 just for having it's IBIS in video mode. Initial tests were very encouraging, I'm waiting to get over retina surgery to really wring it out in one of PhotographyAndCinema's GearBox "cages". Unfortunately the GH3 has no IS outside of some OIS lenses.

Yes. Find these "configuration" items in the menus. I can't get mine out and locate them for you so you just have to "hunt 'em down".

If you want to use manual exposure in video, first set the dial on top to the Movie Cam icon then hunt down ESPOSURE MODE, choices will be PASM, select "M" for manual and press the "set/OK" button to insure you "lock that in".

Then find CONSTANT PREVUE and set that to ON

Find EXPO.METER and set that to ON. This enables your meter readout at the bottom of the screen.

Now in both still mode M (dial on top) or in "Motion Picture" (movie cam icon on dial on top) and EXPOSURE MODE set to "M" any changes in exposure will result in lightening or darkening of the image in the EVF or on the LCD. But ONLY for manual exposure. Set exposure for any of the auto modes and this doesn't happen.

In the menus set "i"ANYTHING to OFF'

You want touchscreen enabled but not the "touch - focus and shoot". You do want to be able to touch for focus, this is very handy and you can even do a "rack focus" between two subjects with this.

Hope this info helps. I have a pair of GH3's and a decent set of lenses to use with them. Once you get used to the GH3 you'll enjoy it. The "menu diving" is a lot simpler than the E-M5.

• Like Like x 2