1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH3 and big prints

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, Oct 25, 2012.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I watched this through the 43rumors site:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39tFGoO4008]Big Prints from LUMIX GH3, featuring Ira Block - YouTube[/ame]

What do you think? Are you of the opinion that such "infomercials" help to promote :43: in general?

• Like Like x 3
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Skipped through parts of it..but I like the more serious panasonic marketing rather than the more fun, hip olympus commercials. Maybe that's just me though!

3. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Advertising:rolleyes:

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hmmm... how many ink cartridges do you use on a 5 ft. print?

• Like Like x 1
  5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    In fact, I remember a video from some excibition, where Olympus allowed people to take photos of models with the OM-D, then print to large size and compare with similar prints from FF cameras. But I can't find it now on Youtube (if anyone can help, would appreciate).

6. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I'd love to know what lense he used, any ideas?

7. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    You mean ties and denim aren't hip?

8. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    In another video, he says he had both the 12-35 and the 35-100, and can be seen using the 25mm f/1.4 too. It's safe to assume that he would also be using the 7-14 for landscapes.

9. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    • Like Like x 1
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The truth is that printing is really much less demanding of the camera IQ than on-screen pixel peeping. The process of printing tends to hide noise, DR is lower than most of today's sensors anyway, minimizing the difference between m43, APS and FF, and you naturally tend to view large prints from further away, hiding resolution differences.

If you're careful, and start with a high quality capture, you can make quality prints this large from any of the 16 MP m43 cameras, and probably from the 12 MP ones, too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahahah veyr funny and video looks so childish , purely a marketing propaganda . I printed 4ft prints from my EPL1 two years ago . I shot some tulip shots with Oly 17mm 2.8 and many of my friends liked it and one of them went to India and returned and returned with huge prints . Meyerweb already said that prints turn out better than pixel peeping .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hmm thinking back on it..I didn't hate the ad with Olympus Pens photographing the topless model with bodypaint..

• Like Like x 2
  13. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Link please! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bhupinder2002

Hi ..
    Here is the link.:wink::wink: But dont sink ..:rofl: and to be very honest..I dont see any art in it . ANybody can paint a naked female and that will become an art.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q52kkviLgyE]Olympus PEN ambassador and artist Selwyn Senatori testimonial - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bhupinder2002

17. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay

I think that's exactly the point they're trying to make - and it's a good one. What do you see all the time regarding smaller sensor cameras like m4/3? It's not as good at high ISO and large printing as full frame & larger sensor cameras. Except, as this just illustrated, you can print a five FOOT print out of it just fine. How many of the people worried about large print quality are printing anything close to that big? It's a bit of a reality check, trying to reset expectations.

I could have done without the informercial scripted dialogue "oh is this from the new camera?" "why yes, the G. H. Three, from Panasonic" :rolleyes: But it was good to see what can be done with a print larger than I'm likely to print any time soon. Realistically *most* of my pictures are destined for publication on the web and/or as < 8"x10" prints so seeing a well done 5' print certainly assuages any concerns I would have.

Oh, and btw, to support meyerweb's assertion... my local camera shop does print work and has several 40" or so prints displayed from a 12mp Olympus m4/3 camera (I forget which model, but they were shot by the shop owner's daughter). They look just fine even up far closer than normal viewing distance.

18. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    People were making large prints from 12Mp FF sensors for years now. We seem to forget that ultra-high Mp counts are a thing of the past few years, except for MF cameras. I have even seen larger than 1m photos printed from 5-8Mp sensors, to be fair they were studio shots, so low ISO and noise, but nevertheless they looked perfect even viewing from ridiculously close distance. I reserve opinion for billboard sized prints that, for some reason, you want to look super sharp when viewed from less than 1m distance. But what's the application here?

There is a fashion these days to pixel-peep at 4X or 8X the normal size. In theory, this is useful to see how the image looks upsized, but I'm not convinced.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's simple to have an idea how a print will look without even printing it. I guess few of us (if anyone) will have a monitor showing a 16Mp photo in 1:1 resolution on monitor. Extrapolating from what you see on monitor, you can almost see how big a 1:1 print will be at 300dpi. But large prints are not 300dpi and if the image has minimal noise, has been processed etc, you can easily upsize it (effectivelly making it, say, 2X in both dimensions, which is 4 times larger in surface).

We all know all that, at least in theory, still my opinion is that such ads serve to educate the public and also serve as a "statement". For the average buyer, this and the other ads from Panasonic and Olympus give an indication that one would miss nothing going for a :43: camera.

edit to add:

All the above would be in a conversation with an average consumer or enthusiast at the most. When arguing with a higher level user, which advocates larger sensor cameras for "image quality", IMHO it helps to consider and point out two things:

1) The latest :43: sensors now have comparable (or better) DR characteristics with larger sensors, and, at least in studio/controlled conditions have comparable noise characteristics.

2) Sharpness from :43: native lenses is arguably better edge to edge than an equivalent lens for a larger system. This has been, times and again, been argued as one of the main advantages of our system.

Which leaves only the "look" argument when the final image is considered. This is certainly important and something you cannot argue about, after all, if it wasn't for the "image look" consideration, I doubt people would continue using MF cameras.

19. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Agreed, and I understand that only too well. I rarely go above A2 but I'm coming from 40MP to 16MP so instead of dumping pixels, I am either inventing them or printing at a lower resolution. That's what I'm trying to get my head around.

20. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011